Who Is Winston Conlee - Cover

Who Is Winston Conlee

Copyright© 2020 by The Story Teller

Chapter 7

However, Leon got the good news much earlier. No sooner had the bank opened at 10 am then he spied Horndecker stepping through the front doors. As usual, he was dressed in a sloppy, ill fitting suit, white shirt and string tie. On his head was his usual derby hat.

Leon watched the owner of the River Bend Press approach his desk.

“You know if somebody called Winston Conlee got an account in this bank?” were the first words out of Horndecker

Leon was expecting him so he played his part like a veteran actor in a star role.

“Winston, let me see,” he muttered as he thumbed his way through the thick ledger that contained the bank’s records. “What did you say his last name was?”

“It’s Conlee, Winston Conlee.” Horndecker raised his voice as if Leon hadn’t heard him the first time.

“Oomph, let’s see. The name doesn’t sound too familiar. He from around here?”

Horndecker shrugged. “Damned if I know, the name’s not familiar with me either.”

Leon continued to play his role to perfection. He took his time turning pages and running his fingers through tightly typed columns. “Conlee, Winston Conlee.” He kept repeating the name as if he were going to forget it. Then his finger stopped.

“Augh, here it is. Conlee Winston. Found it,” he announced and looked up at the newspaper owner with a grin of triumphant.

“You know anything about him?” Horndecker asked.

Leon frowned. “We’re actually not supposed to divulge any information about our clients. It’s for our customer’s protection and the law states everyone has a right to their privacy.”

“Oh, I don’t want to know anything personal about him. It’s just that ... well ... this Conlee guy and me are about to enter into some ... erh ... business dealings and he wants me to deposit money in his account.”

“That I can do for sure,” Leon assured Horndecker. He could barely keep a straight face when owner of the local newspaper explained that he wanted $25 transferred from his company account into Winston Conlee’s. He was so proud of Abby and the way her plan was working to perfection.

While Leon was processing it, the owner of the River Bend Press, persisted. “You sure you can’t tell me anything more about this Conlee guy because he sure seems like a mysterious fellow. I thought I knew most of the locals but his name doesn’t ring a bell. Also, I asked a few people about him on my way over here and nobody seems to have heard of him either.”
Leon was enjoying himself so much he saw no harm in adding to the mystery. After all, his beloved’s happiness depended on the Winston Conlee hoax and he would do anything for her.

“Well.” His lips pursed as he looked down at his ledger. “I guess it wouldn’t hurt to tell you that Winston isn’t from around here. According to my records, the bank received a telegram from him a couple of days ago. He asked that we open up an account in his name.”

“Thanks?” Horndecker said. “By the way, any idea about what he’s going to do with his deposits. I mean sooner or later, he’s gotta show up to make withdrawals, doesn’t he?”

“Not necessarily. You see he can handle any withdrawals by a telegram.”

“So you mean there’s no way of communicating with him?” Horndecker persisted.

“Oh that?” Leon was glad he and Abby thought to cover all bases. He pointed to the row of boxes that lined one wall of the bank. “It looks like Winston bought a safety deposit box from the bank at the same time he opened his account. Paid for it a year in advance too. Very nice of him, eh.”

Horndecker walked over to the boxes and stopped at 313B, the number he had been provided for Winston Conlee. Leon watched him slip a business card and an envelope into the slot before leaving the bank.

No problem, since Leon was the bank manager, it would be easy for him to clean out the box and give all communication to Abby. Between the two of them they could come up with a proper response to handle any other inquiries. In the meantime, he hoped Winston Conlee’s fame would soar to great heights.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.