Who Is Winston Conlee - Cover

Who Is Winston Conlee

Copyright© 2020 by The Story Teller

Chapter 19

When no more Winston Conlee stories appeared in the River Bend Press some townsfolk were so disappointed they swarmed Horndecker’s office. He would later claim he barely escaped with his life. Others, who thought Winston’s stories were complete trash, cheered his retirement. No one in town ever managed to uncover his true identity.

The two lovers weren’t around to witness the uproar. As soon as school was out for the summer Abby hurried home to her father’s ranch to finish the final preparations for her wedding. Leon departed River Bend a week later, arriving at Ray Hill’s ranch two days before the wedding. Having learned his lesson, he only drank one whiskey when the glasses were raised in congratulations.

Abby and Leon spent their two week honeymoon in Banff and Jasper. On their return, they spent a night at the Hill ranch before leaving for Edmonton.


The Journal receptionist, a serious looking middle aged woman who wore her hair in a bun and had a pair of granny glasses perched on her nose, gave the couple with an how dare you look as they timidly approached her desk.

“Can I help you? The question sounded more like what are you doing in here?

“Yes,” Leon replied. He grasped his bride’s hand tightly for re-assurance and continued. “We’d like to see Mr. Lang. Would he be in today?”

The receptionist sighed and frowned as if she’d just been handed a monumental task.

“Have you got an appointment? You know he’s the editor of the paper and not accustomed to seeing anybody that just happens to walk in off the street.

“I think he’ll see us,” Leon insisted.

“I’ll see if he’s in,” the receptionist announced with annoyance as she pushed her chair back from her desk. “Who can I say is wishing to see him?”

Abby grew impatient with the receptionist’s stalling antics. “You can tell him Winston Conlee is here to talk to him. I think he’ll see us when you give him this.” She pulled Lang’s crumpled business card from her purse and handed it to the receptionist.

The guardian of the Journal’s inner domain scrutinized the card before announcing with doubt across her face. “I’ll see if he’s in but he’s a very busy man, you know.”

The receptionist was back in record time. She had a new attitude and she gave the couple a look of respect as she announced. “It turns out Mr. Lang is available. If you’ll follow me please, he’ll see you immediately.”


“So I finally get to meet the famous Winston Conlee,” Lang announced with a big smile and a gleam in his eye. “What took you so long? I thought you’d be quite anxious to meet with me.”

“Well, we had more important matters to settle first, like getting married,” Abby laughed. “Have you met my husband, Leon?”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.