Who Is Winston Conlee - Cover

Who Is Winston Conlee

Copyright© 2020 by The Story Teller

Chapter 18

By the time Abby met Leon at their favorite meeting place, she was almost in tears.

“He knows, that Mr. Lang from The Journal knows. He waylaid me on the street right in front of the school and I could tell from his smile and his eyes that he knows I’m Winston Conlee.”

The words gushed out of Abby’s mouth all in one breath. Although most of her fears and worries seemed to melt away now that she was nestled safely in her lover’s arms, she was still filled with a nagging worry.

“What do you think he’s going to do now?” Abby asked. “Probably announce it the whole town so everybody will know what a phoney I’ve been, so I guess I’ll have to retire Winston. It was a stupid idea anyway.”

Leon gazed into Abby’s troubled face and tried to do the best he could to console her.

“Maybe it’s not that bad. Tell me again what he said.” The years he’d spent managing a bank left him with a capacity to think critically and remain cool and level headed, even in times of crises.

“Well, after he told me he knew Winston Conlee worked at the school, he gave me his card and said if I happen to run into Winston, I should give it to him and tell him to contact him,” Abby sobbed and added. “And he had that knowing smile and look in his eyes so I just knew. It was as if he was amused at my predicament.”

“Anything else?” Leon patiently asked.

“Well, yes, he said that he upped the offer to $125 per story and that he didn’t care what reasons Winston had for remaining anonymous, that he should contact him anyways.”

“There you go.” Leon gave Abby a reassuring squeeze. “You see, it may not be all that bad since he hasn’t outed you yet, maybe he just wants to talk to Winston. Did you ever think of that?”

Abby eyed her lover. Feeling somewhat re-assured but her face was still filled with doubt. “Yes, but as soon as I confess to being Winston, he’s probably going to do the same as Horndecker did and drop me like a hot potato because I’m female. I get the message. Female writers are not wanted for any serious writing, so don’t give them anything more than a woman’s column to write.”

Leon laughed and stole a kiss from Abby’s upturned face. It was so tempting he couldn’t resist it. He wanted to kiss all her troubles away.

“Let’s reason this out. Look at the trouble he went to finding out who Winston really is, and you said he knows he’s you, yet he gave you his card, and told you to tell Winston to call him. What does that tell you?”

Abby looked puzzled but then a smile lit up her face and excitement flashed in her eyes. “You really think he wants Winston to write for him even though he knows he’s me?”

Leon grinned. “Why else would he go to all the trouble of finding Winston’s true identity and still give you his card? Can’t you see he doesn’t care if Winston is a woman?”

Abby grew animated and kissed Leon. “Oh thank you. I’ve been so stupid. Maybe Winston doesn’t have to retire, after all. And just think, Mr. Lang is offering $125 a story which is a fortune compared to the measly pittance Horndecker pays me.


Abby’s eyes sparkled as she gazed at Leon. “School is almost out for the summer so I’ll be going home to daddy pretty soon to prepare for the wedding at the ranch. There’s still lots of work to be done.”

Leon let out an exaggerated groan. “More wedding plans? When I asked you to marry me, I didn’t realize it would be all that complicated”

Abby giggled and muttered: “Men, they don’t know anything,” then added, “That’s okay Leon, since you’ve asked daddy for my hand like a proper gentleman should your work is almost done. All you have to is show up at the ranch for the big day.”

“Yes, asking your dad for your hand. How could I forget that memorable night? My head aches every time I think of it. I’ve never known anybody than can drink that much whiskey in one setting,” Leon groaned again.

“Oh, you poor dear, I should have warned you about daddy and his love of whiskey,” Abby sympathized as she kissed her lover.

“So what should we do about poor Winston?” Abby asked as she and Leon slowly rode their horses back to town.

Leon winked at her. “I think he should disappear for a while because he’s outgrown this town, but, there’s no reason he couldn’t re-appear somewhere else.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.