Who Is Winston Conlee - Cover

Who Is Winston Conlee

Copyright© 2020 by The Story Teller

Chapter 16

When Thursday’s edition of the Press hit the streets with Savage Land, all available copies were instantly snapped up. Within a few hours Horndecker’s office was under siege with readers demanding a copy. When he tried to explain that although he had doubled his usual press run, there were none left, the readers grew so angry he had to kick them out and lock the front doors.

“You manage to find out anything about this Winston Conlee. He’s becoming a pain in my back side,” Horndecker complained to his editor.

Rothenburg looked up from his desk. “I’ve been looking high and low, even reached out to my city contacts and so far no luck. No one’s heard of him before he come out of nowhere and chose your rag to make his debut. It makes me wonder. Why would he do that except for the fact that he’s local and your paper was the most convenient one available? Or maybe he’s just a rookie writer who didn’t know his true worth so he decided to use your paper to test the waters.”

“Yeah, they’re all probable excuses I guess, but for the likes of me I can’t figure out if he can write like that why didn’t he just ask me? I’d a jumped at the chance to put his stories in my paper,” Horndecker mused.

“I wouldn’t complain,” Rathenburg retorted. “You should be thankful he’s chosen your paper.” Since you started publishing his stories it’s become the most read paper for miles around. Would you believe, I even take requests for subscriptions from as far away as Edmonton?


“That’s exactly why I must find him,” a voice spoke and a figure emerged from the darker shadows of the back office.

Horndecker and Rothenburger turned at the sound and stared at Robert Lang. He was dressed in his usual well-tailored suit and top hat and had the latest edition of the River Bend Press under his arm.

“Sorry to disturb you but since your front office was locked I took the liberty of using the back entrance and I’ve been standing listening to you conversation with great interest hoping I could get a hint as to where Winston Conlee is hanging out. Now that I am satisfied you weren’t lying to me, I’m afraid I’ll have to look elsewhere. I’m sure he’s in this town somewhere because there’s no other reason he would chose this paper to get his stories published.”

Horndecker nodded. “We’re as lost as you are. Did you see his latest story? My office was completely over run with demands for a paper, so I had to lock the front door.”

The Journal editor smiled. “That’s why he should be writing for my paper. So he can get the recognition he deserves. Since I think he might be holding out for money, can you spread the word around that I’m now offering $125 per story?”

“Good Lord, that’s a fortune. “For that amount you might have all kinds of wanta be writers taking you up on your offer,” Rothenburg exclaimed.

“No worries. It will only take one look at their manuscript for me to spot the phonies. Since Conlee has his own unique style, I don’t think anybody can successfully copy it.” Lang tipped his hat at the pair. “Thanks for your time. I think I’ll take a stroll around your town, maybe drop in at your local bank again to talk to that manager. Do you think he’ll take a bribe?”

Horndecker and his editor looked at one another. “Bribe? Well since Leon’s a very honest upstanding citizen I don’t think you’ll get anywhere with him,” Rothenburg announced.

“Too bad, but since he seems to hold the information on Conlee that I want, I think I may give him a try,” Lang smiled.

“You won’t get anywhere Horndecker warned. “Leon’s very much a gentleman. Did you know he’s engaged to our very own Abbigail Hill?”

Lang halted his departure and eyed the owner of The Press. “Really? Is that the girl I talked to earlier? A school teacher I believe?”

“Yes that’s the one,” Horndecker replied. “Like I said, she’s the one that writes a social column for us. Does an excellent job too.”

“Interesting,” Lang uttered over his shoulder as he turned and walked away.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.