Who Is Winston Conlee - Cover

Who Is Winston Conlee

Copyright© 2020 by The Story Teller

Chapter 15

Since Abby’s school finished before Leon’s bank closed, he found her already waiting for him in their secret lover’s nook high above the river. There was a worried look marring her pretty face, and she barely waited for him to dismount before rushing into his arms.

“What are we going to do?” Abby wailed after exchanging hugs and kisses with her lover. She was nestled comfortably in his arms under the shade of their favorite tree. “I never expected to cause this much trouble. When I created Winston Conlee it was only because I wanted to get back at that stupid old Horndecker, and to get my stories published.”

Leon smiled down at his beloved, gazed into her troubled eyes and, since the opportunity presented itself, decided to steal a kiss.

“Well, since he’s offering $100 a story, it isn’t all that bad. “That’s way more than Horndecker pays you,” he tried to console Abby.

“Yes.” Abby giggled and her face broke into a beautiful smile. “At least now I’ve discovered how cheap he is. Do you know how greedy he is? When that Mr. Lang couldn’t find Winston, Horndecker offered to sell him MY stories for $100. Can you believe it? He acts like he owns MY stories, and he can’t wait to make money on them. I think he’d sell his own mother if he thought he could make a dollar out of her.”

Leon grinned. “Perhaps Winston Conlee has outgrown this town? Maybe he’s ready for the big time?”

Amy kissed Leon and squirmed delightfully in his arms. Her eyes grew big and round and sparkled with excitement. “You really think so? That’s what I’ve always wanted to do, just to teach and write my stories.”

Leon laughed. “Although I have to admit I’m a little biased, I’ve always liked your stories. I think they’re great and apparently, so do most of the town’s people. Do you realize they’re so eager for your stories, you’ve got them salivating at the mouth and waiting for more? Also, you’ve singlehandedly turned Horndecker’s poorly read rag into the most read paper in the area. Why do you think that Mr. Lang travelled all the way from Edmonton to just meet Winston? Face it, he’s become a celebrity.”

“So now what?” Amy asked. “I just can’t waltz back into town and announce it’s me, I am Winston Conlee. Horndecker will never forgive me for lying, and neither will the town’s people. Some of them are very good friends, and what will my fellow teacher say? Although some of them love Winston, there’s a few who think he writes such trash he should be drawn and quartered and thrown to the dogs.”

“Poor Winston,” Leon smiled. “An unwitting victim of his own success, I guess. Who would have ever thought that would have happened? In addition, you’ve already submitted another story for this week’s paper, which means Winston’s popularity, or notoriety, is going to continue to grow.”

“Let me think about it. Maybe there’s a way for Winston to continue to write without anybody knowing who he really is,” Leon announced.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.