Who Is Winston Conlee - Cover

Who Is Winston Conlee

Copyright© 2020 by The Story Teller

Chapter 12

“Oh my God, you’re not planning to put this story in the River Bend Press, are you?

Abby nodded. “In the very next publication as a matter of fact.”

Leon eyed his beloved to make sure she wasn’t trying to play a trick on him. One look at her face and he knew she was telling the truth. Although it carried a trace of that beautiful smile, it was deadly serious.

“You do realize how much of a self-righteous frenzy you got some of the more conservative residents worked up to?” Leon warned.

Abby smiled and gave her boyfriend a quick kiss to allay his fears. Of course, but since this is mostly a true story it has to be told before it’s lost forever. Would you believe that one of those sweet, old ladies living in that old folk’s home told me a similar tale during a recent weekly visit?”

“Leon asked: So which one was she? I’d guess it was probably Anna because she seemed to be the one with the most grit to survive such an ordeal.”

Abby smiled mischievously. “I’m not going to say. Perhaps it was Claire.”


The couple were in their usual private meeting place, the tree covered plateau over- looking the fast moving river. They had snuggled together in the shade of a tree while Leon read the story.

“Okay have it your way. Just don’t be too surprized when you discover that some of the River Bend Press readers want to tear Winston Conlee from limb to limb,” Leon warned.

“That’s only if they can find the poor guy,” Abby giggled.

She suddenly changed the topic and sternly eyed her lover. “Enough talk about the story. You realize school is almost out for the summer and daddy is coming to visit this weekend?” Abby reminded Leon of his promise.

He nodded and kissed Abby on the lips. “No problem,” he assured her. I’d face a pair of hungry tigers in their cages if it meant I could marry you.”

“Oh, my brave, handsome Leon,” Abby giggled and squirmed deliciously in her lover’s arms. “You’ll discover that daddy is actually as tame as a pussy cat once you get to know him, so you won’t forget to ask him for my hand, will you?”

“Of course not,” Leon promised.


Friday, when the train made its daily 4 pm stop in River Bend, Ray Hill was one of the first passengers to step onto the wooden station. He strode confidently towards the end of the platform, carrying a small, overnight valise. He stopped and stood strong and motionless, letting the rest of the disembarking train passengers surge around him, while his grey eyes searched through the crowd on hand to greet the new arrivals.

When Ray Hill spotted Abby waving at him from her position in front of a throng of greeters, a huge smile broke across his broad, weathered face and he strode forward.

“Daddy, it’s so nice to come and visit me again. It seems like ages since your last visit,” Abby squealed like a little girl as she flung her arms around her father.

“Me too, honey. I missed having you around the ranch. The place doesn’t seem the same without you,” Ray smiled into his daughter’s beaming face, and squeezed her so tight he easily lifted her off her feet and swung her around in a circle before putting her back down.

Leon stood patiently waiting for the daughter-father reunion to finish. He took the time to study his soon to be father in law. Ray Hill stood six foot tall and weighed a solid 200 pounds. Despite entering into middle age, there still didn’t seem to be an ounce of extra fat on him. When you coupled his impressive physique with a rather bombastic personality, he cut an imposing figure.

Ray Hill let go of his daughter and ran an appraising eye over the tall, slender man who had been silently waiting for the initial reunion ritual to be complete. Taking the advice of his beloved, who claimed her father wasn’t the type to be impressed with the fancy clothes a person wore, Leon had swapped his formal banker’s suit for an open necked sports shirt and a pair of slacks. Since he didn’t want anything to destroy his future with Abby, he hoped her knowledge of her father was accurate.

Abby quickly seized Leon’s arm and tugged him forward. Her eyes were sparkling and ablaze with happiness when she introduced him to her father. “Daddy, I’d like you to meet Leon. He’s the gentleman I mentioned in my letters. I’m happy you can finally meet him.”

“Leon, meet my father.”

“Nice to meet you sir,” Leon responded with utmost respect and stuck out his hand for a shake.

“Nice to meet you too son. So you’re the gentleman my daughter seems so taken with?” Ray Hill smiled and crushed Leon’s offered hand in a powerful grip.

“Are you hungry daddy? Do you want to eat some supper at the hotel restaurant,” Abby asked. With Leon on one side of her and her dad on the other side, they escorted her into the restaurant.

Supper was a pleasant affair full of laughter and chatter. One thing Ray immediately noticed was how happy his daughter was and how she kept turning her love sick, adoring eyes on Leon. He knew all the signs. There was no doubt about it. Abby was madly in love with the guy.

As soon as the meal was finished, Abby gave her lover a pointed look which left him with no doubt what was expected of him. She then rose and pecked her dad on the cheek.

“I just remembered I have a couple of important errands to run, so I hope it’s okay if I leave you two by yourself.”

After Abby had politely excused herself from the supper, a brief uncomfortable silence formed between Leon and Ray. It was as if each were waiting for the other to speak first.

Ray was the first to break the stalemate.

“Well Leon, I can see how much my daughter is taken with you. I guess that calls for a drink.”

Leon, suddenly deciding he might need some liquid courage to perform his formidable task, didn’t argue with the decision

Ray ordered a couple of whiskeys.

“Cheers,” He announced as he banged his shot glass against Leon’s and tossed its contents back.

Leon thought the fiery liquid would burn a hole right through his stomach as he attempted to match Ray.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.