Secrets of Liberty Mountain: Yesterday's Tomorrow - Cover

Secrets of Liberty Mountain: Yesterday's Tomorrow

Copyright 2019 by Nathan Wolf ~ All rights reserved.

Chapter 45

Science Fiction Sex Story: Chapter 45 - A homeless Vietnam veteran's life abruptly changes the day he stumbles upon a cult of female survivalists living off the grid for the last fifteen years. His presence is unwanted and unwelcome. To become the exception to the "no man alive" rule, the elderly vet must earn the trust of a skeptical and hostile sisterhood.

Caution: This Science Fiction Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Fiction   Science Fiction   Post Apocalypse  

“I’m getting too old for this shit,” I moaned and plopped into one of the Situation Room’s ergonomically designed conference chairs. I massaged the sore spot on my shoulder and shifted and squirmed and as I searched for a less uncomfortable position. Nothing worked. I hurt in places I didn’t even know I had.

The steaming mug of fresh brewed Colombian laced with the Sisterhood’s brandy warmed my hands and took the edge away from the pain in my ass. Java and joy-juice will cure anything.

“Praise be for Martha,” I sighed in revenant appreciation. The platter of venison steak and cheese sandwiches smelled delicious. The ever-thoughtful Queen of the Kitchen knew the magical power of food and beverage to lift the spirit and restore the soul.

I would rather have had an opportunity to take supper in the dining room, except Sheila’s schedule didn’t allow for it. She demanded we present Recon One’s findings without delay. The urgency was such my companion and I didn’t even get a chance to shower and clean up.

As I took a leisurely and grateful sip, Sheila tapped her gavel to stifle the buzz of excited conversation rising in the amphitheater in anticipation as they waited for the show to begin: the first images of the new world. One small step for man, one giant leap into chaos for mankind. Neil Armstrong had it easy.

“Belinda and Sky, we await your report. The floor belongs to you,” Sheila said as she nodded and rubbed her lips.

“Thank you, Chief,” Belinda responded with a smile as she climbed to her feet and motioned me to stand at her side.

“Our successful mission did not go unnoticed. We had an encounter with a couple of youthful sheriff’s deputies,” Frosty said as I handed the drone’s memory card to the Society’s leader.

“Wonderful!” the commander rolled her eyes and bent forward, “Pray tell, how did it turn out?”

“Not too badly, all things considered,” I shrugged.

“Two junior members of the Meeker home guard detained us at gunpoint and wanted to bring us to Sherif Fitzwater’s office for questioning,” Belinda added as she brushed several strands of hair from her eyes.

“We declined their hospitality,” I continued in a neutral voice. I had screwed-up by not keeping an adequate watch.

“Anyone injured?” Sheila’s anxious eyes darted from mine to Frosty’s.

“No harm, other than pride. We jumped ‘em when the returning drone distracted them. They surrendered without a struggle,” Belinda replied with a pleasant smile.

“What of the young ones?” the Chief asked.

“We returned their weapons, minus firing pins, and sent them on their way. The remainder of the mission was uneventful,” I said.

“Very well, please tell us what you observed, and share your mind,” the leader slid the little drone’s memory card into the desktop computer. A moment later, the chatter of talk ceased as the enormous ultra-sharp flat-screen television filled with a drone’s eye view of the lands beyond Liberty Mountain.

A few moments later a collective gasp rose from the gathering as the charred and twisted ruins came into sight. Seeing is believing. I scrutinized the fearful eyes of the onlooking sisters as the aftershock settled in. Everything and nothing had changed. Yesterday’s world was gone and we’re still here. Now what?

As our flight replayed in exquisite detail, I couldn’t shake a weird sense of déjà vu as I relived the real-time re-run of my virtual reality recollections.

“Chief, can you go to freeze-frame?” I stood and walked over to the flat-screen. The amazingly clear and vivid still picture of the town was stunning in its clarity down to individual branches on the trees and children on the ground.

“This is a pretty representative overview and I think we’re looking at something quite remarkable,” I said and waited for my recon mate to join me.

“Yah, a local government which actually works,” chuckles answered Belinda’s laughter.

“In the month since the solar storms things have gone from bad to worse. From what the shortwave is telling us, governments are falling faster than autumn leaves,” my companion said as she gestured toward the screen.

“But, not so in Meeker. While worldwide, communities are in turmoil, this place is not. In fact, it seems to be holding its own and then some.” Belinda shook her head in disbelief.

“Rather than tell you our thoughts on what we’re viewing, well let the video speak for itself. Thirty-seven sets of eyes are better than two,” I swept my arms to encompass the chamber and pointed to my partner and myself.

“Recon One, your video quality is exceptional. Very well done,” Sheila said as she rose from her chair and joined us next to the large display.

“Thank you Sky and Belinda, I’ll take it from here,” the commander said as she gently directed us back to our seats. The bum’s rush with kid gloves. I exchanged puzzled glances with my partner who shrugged in response.

“You have done us proud as the eyes of the Sisterhood. We owe you a debt of gratitude,” the leader said with a smile as she began to clap her hands together. After a brief moment of hesitation, members of the council picked up the refrain and the women in the hall responded enthusiastically with a roar of approval.

Recognition is the coin of the realm in the Sisterhood’s cashless society. I grinned like a wealthy man as I took my seat.

“Sisters!” she paused, “and brother,” Sheila nodded in my direction as she turned to address the assembly.

“What happened to the planet is an event as transformative as an asteroid strike, only without all the rocks,” the Commander said in a calm and measured voice as she studied the faces of the woman in the hall.

“All we once had is gone. SkyFire has marooned our high-tech Society in a low-tech world. Cities are in rubble. The grid is down. Forever. The Age of the Internet is over,” she said with a sad shiver and paused for a moment before smiling.

“In other words, we’re precisely where we need to be. These are the times we’ve been preparing for. Our moment has arrived,” Sheila’s voice resonated with intensity as she scanned the assembly, challenging anyone to doubt her proclamation of certainty.

“There is no choice, if we are to survive, rebuild, and prosper, we must adapt and become one with the New Order of the ages,” the Chief glanced and tilted her head at Martha who repeated the nod as she left her seat and headed for the kitchen.

“We are about to see and analyze about ninety minutes of raw video,” Sheila said as she looked over her shoulder at the frozen image of a destroyed Meeker.

“But, before we do, we’ve got to be in the proper frame of mind.” she smiled as she turned to face the assembly and spread her arms apart in welcome.

“We, my friends, you and I, are going on a vision quest. We will travel together to the origin of our life force. From there, the Mothers of Creation will show us the way forward,” she said as Martha and a few women on the kitchen crew moved through the auditorium with trays piled high with marijuana spiked fudge brownies. The THC in the tribe’s refined cannabis concentrates were off the charts.

“Limit two to a customer unless you are especially daring or foolish,” she said with a chuckle.

I noticed most of the ladies took two servings of fudge while about a dozen went all-in with three. Belinda took five.

“I’m hungry,” my partner said with a shrug as she stuffed a chunk of brownie into her mouth.

I lit my pipe and took two to be sociable.

“What with this vision quest thing?’ I leaned over and murmured to Belinda who was busy polishing off her third treat.

“We’ve only done it once before when we won the lottery. Got as high as shit and let the group mind find the path forward. This place is the end result of that process.” Belinda licked a few crumbs of chocolate from her sticky fingers as she reached for my pot pipe.

“All right, listen up!” Sheila shouted over the hubbub of conversations, “I’m moving this session to the Lake, follow me!” she said as she set out like the Pied Piper of Hamelin. Like the fabled children of yore, we marched after as she opened the door to the stairway and descended into the underworld below the mountain.

“Really? We need to get stoned before we can review the results of the reconnaissance mission?” I grumbled to Sheila as we descended the winding metal staircase into the cavern underneath the cabin.

“Yes!” she laughed, “SkyFire was a control-alt-delete moment. A new reality is loose upon the land and the rules of the game have been rewritten, we need to reprogram our minds. Plenty of Peyote should do the trick.”

“Mother nature bequeathed us with a marvelous array of mind-altering substances with which to explore the spiritual side of the universe. Tribes have been vision questing since the first elder nibbled on a magic mushroom,” the commander intoned with the revenant voice of a saint. For a long time, I had sensed she had a weird-ass version of religion hidden in her attic. I shivered as my musings were confirmed.

Even as a disciple of Athenia, Sheila was too sane to be crazy. Maybe she was onto something, not that I needed an excuse to get high. I had dropped a few tabs of acid in the sixties.

I preferred to fly in a low-Earth orbit with enough altitude to see inside my mind while staying close enough to touch the ground. Psychedelics at my age? What the hell, why not? Reality is already a stormy shit-show. What’s another outhouse in the wind?

At any rate, a trip to Dreamland might be an interesting excursion, as long as it wasn’t a one-way ride. I took a puff from my blunt and offered a toke to Belinda behind me. Sharing is caring.

I couldn’t keep from giggling as we followed Sheila’s flashlight beam through the shadowy labyrinth of stalactites and stalagmites. The annoying narrator in my head was sarcastically singing off-key, the little-man work song with new words as he played reruns of Walt Disney’s “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.”

“Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho, it’s off to dream we go.”

Soon enough, we stood at the water’s edge of the vast underground lagoon at the back of the cavern. The distant shores were lost in gloom, and the surface of the pool was as smooth as glass and as black as the space between stars. It had a timeless and otherworldly feel about it.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.