Erica Olafson, Journeys of the Tigershark (Vol 9) - Cover

Erica Olafson, Journeys of the Tigershark (Vol 9)

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 5: Ginger Fur

Sodoby occupied his very own office aboard the USS Tigershark. He had several readout field screens open that hovered over his desk.

Sodoby took his job as quartermaster very serious, especially now as the Admiral of the fleet had made it official.

Until the Spatial Naval Reform of 4012 OTT, a quartermaster was the enlisted member in charge of the watch-to-watch navigation and the maintenance, correction, and maintaining the charts and information stored in the NAV-tank. That enlisted member was also responsible for the navigational sensors and the daily NAV ping.training of ship’s lookouts and helmsmen.

He or she performed these duties under the control of the ship’s navigator or another officer if there was no officer navigator.

After the reform act, the term was dropped and replaced by the designation Nav-System Specialist.

While the Union Army definition of the quartermaster is used to describe all supply personnel and units that are part of the quartermaster corps.

Ever since the Golden came aboard, he sort of took over this part of the XO’s office duties. He was so good at it, that fleet command asked him to review the regulations and duties.

Right now, he was very busy. First, the sudden and strange orders that dispersed the crew, without the knowledge of either the Captain or the XO.

And now they were all back or on their way back. Technically six of them were already too far to be back soon and two, Roghor and Jolaj, didn’t even know yet that they were to be transferred back as soon as possible.”

With deep satisfaction did he witness the arrest of the new CO, who tried to order a thousand things but could not be verified as captain.

The man was not just wrongly assigned, he was an outright criminal. First, he ordered the Den to be dismantled and the hangar restored and then he wanted SHIP reset.

Sodoby laughed as Little Fafnir scared the man, while he tried to steal a credit cube from the Captain’s quarters and several crew members swore he resisted arrest so Hans had to be a little rough.

The Tigershark was much more than just another Navy ship, it was defined by its crew and Sobody had to admit it was one big family, woe to the outsider trying to pry it apart.

He had just talked to the Captain and assured her that everything was getting back to normal.

Sobody just completed another quarter re-assignment when the door chime announced a visitor.

The Tigershark was sitting in a covered dock facility and much of the nose armor had been completely stripped of the frame. Erica’s decision to plow right through an exploding Y’All battleship saved everyone’s life. The Armor held, but several of the hexagon-shaped nearly indestructible armor plates got knocked off the frame. Circuit explained to him, that it was quite difficult to attach something indestructible to a frame because the traditional methods of molecular bond welding did not work.

Having a visitor using the door chime was quite unusual because except for the engineering crew, Hans and a few of the ship’s security, no one else was aboard.

Sodoby asked the door to admit the visitor.

The kilt-wearing old man that stepped in, was none other than the Admiral of the Fleet. Sodoby was technically still the prime authority of all Golden, mainly because his people refused to accept his retirement request and played a dirty trick on him. As Union citizens, they called for a vote and he was confirmed as leader of the Golden by an Assembly vote. However right here and now he was just an Ensign and the Immortal that walked in was the highest-ranking officer in the entire Navy. Sodoby got up and got in attention.

McElligott acknowledged with a military greeting and said.”Thank you, Luitenant Sodoby. Please sit down, while they call me Immortal, you are 9000 years older than I am.”

Sodoby did sit back down.”You are the Admiral of the Fleet, Sir. And I am an acting Ensign, not a Luitenant.”

“I guess you didn’t come across your own file yet. You have been promoted to full Luitenant.”

“Thank you, Sir.”

The old Admiral sat down in the visitor’s chair, looked at the neatly stacked lockboxes, at one side. “Seeing this and knowing the treasures you guys collected in your Den, I think you could pay for half of the Union navy’s annual budget.”

“Perhaps for a day.”

McElligott snickered.”That would not surprise me. I came to Christmas base to do damage control after the mess I created.”

Sodoby did not know all the details, other the hints the Captain made and of course what SHIP had told him, so he just made sure the Admiral knew he was listening.

The Old admiral tugged on his kilt.”Officially, I am here to inspect and confirm the new commandant of the 124th of course and check on this fish.”

The Golden got up and opened a larger locker box.”This one came to us while we pretended to be pirates. We actually bought it from the Red Dragon at the Pirate’s market.”

While Sodoby was substantially shorter than an average human, there was nothing diminutive about him. McElligott could sense the great age and deep experience of the old merchant.

Sodoby held up a dusty bottle.”Glenlivet XXV Single Malt Scotch Whisky. If I understand, this is liquor you favor, is it not?”

“Och! All saints be praised. That’s a fine drop of Whisky indeed.”

“Then I hope you have a spot, as they say? And while you do, tell me why you came?”

While Sodoby opened the bottle, the old Admiral said.”One reason, of course, is my sincere concern about this ship and crew and personally, offer you any and all assistance to iron out that mess. The other reason is a personal one, and since I had to come to Christmas Base anyway, I thought it might be a good time to ask it.”

Sodoby found expensive crystal tumblers in another of his sturdy chests and said.”You wanted to know why I am here, right? The merchant of merchants serving in the Union navy.”

“Yes, that is indeed it. I know you are perhaps second to Schwartz in terms of personal wealth. I know you are the undisputed leader of the Golden, who is a very influential society.”

McElligott made a gesture to include his surroundings in his response.”I meet the queen of Klack, Mothermachine, the Narth Supreme and several others of our esteemed society almost daily. You are certainly on a similar level, why acting like an Army quartermaster and working so hard?”

“I do my best to please our captain, Sir. Nothing less will do.”

Sodoby sat down, after handing the admiral a glass with a generous helping of the golden liquid.”I watched humankind, the one from Earth for a very long time before even you were born. I met a bunch of teenage kids that had been abducted by Freons and were on an involuntary odyssey.

One of them, stayed with us the Golden. Sarah Guri was her name.

She became the wife of a Golden and hid her identity under the guise of a Golden Guard for a long time because we Golden were a very exclusive society back then.

This is a great secret until this day.”

“She was your companion, was she not?”

“Yes, Admiral. Sarah was my wife for 222 years, unfortunately, our medical science was unable to extend her life. She kindled my love for Earth and humankind. I supported the Friends of Terra financially and otherwise, the group that eventually made the Union a reality.”

O’Brock stopped sipping his whiskey.”You don’t want the public to know about this? We know there were a few more Friends of Terra, then the officially acknowledges Saran Queen and Pan Saran Emperor.”

“I know the identities of the others, but like me don’t want the glory. The result is more than we ever hoped for and that is all we ever need for payment.”

The Old Admiral resumed to sip and sniff at the single malt.”That explains a lot but does not answer my original question.”

Sodoby too sipped on his glass and said.”Go ahead stuff one of your pipes. I have one of Har-Hi’s cigars.”

While the old highlander begun with the ritualistic motions to prepare his pipe, the Golden resumed his explanation.”Ever since there is a Union, I wanted us Golden to be part of it and like you, I am an old man and don’t need to do things in a hurry. As the leader of the Golden, I started to change little things here and there to slowly but surely prepare us for that step.

Without the unexpected attack of the Mini Terrans, it might have taken another decade perhaps, but we would have applied for membership.

To be part of a Union ship crew was a spur of the moment idea, that grew into a dream.

When Erica and her unusual crew came to my bazaar, and she talked to a Dai and was friends to a real Narth, I knew I wanted to have an adventure with them.”

The Golden lit a cigar.”They all became my closest friends, little Warner is as dear to me as a son might be to you. I will not seek a Navy career, once the Tigershark and this crew makes her last journey so will I, and retire.” He puffed a cloud of smoke.”But as long as Erica is her captain, I am her quartermaster. You should be able to feel it, Sir. The crew of this ship will follow her to wherever she will lead us. There are a little over 800 souls on this crew, and each and everyone is family.”

McElligott sighed.”Yes, we all. Cherubim, Richard and I know of this magical unexplainable bond. My old friend would give his right arm to be part of this crew, I know. Cherubim even mentioned it.”

The door opened without the chime announcing the visitor.

“Meeze hearz youz ze bozz of ze whole outfiz, canz you maze me crewz?”

Sodoby rolled his eyes.”That is Meeze, he sort of simply stayed aboard since we blew up the Crucible.”


Shea, Narth, Har-Hi and I had arrived at Dome 21 of Christmas Base, that turned out to be the regional headquarters of the Science Corps. The transparent copula enclosed a small city of laboratories, research facilities, auditoriums and offices.

Rugged snow-covered mountains on the outside, trees, well-groomed lawns and ponds on the inside.

Narth said.”It reminds me of the Academy at Arsenal II.”

I agreed.”Yes, it does in a way, it also reminds me of Outpost 96.”

And with that recollection, I remembered the little Holdian Commandant. Not that I really knew her, but her heroic stand and death still affected me, more than I realized.

Shea pointed to a white, elegant two-story building. A sign in the front lawn identified it: SCI-CO Planetology. Spinward Auxillary.

“I think that is it.”

A Thauran female in a light blue lab coat greeted us in the cool lobby. There were holographic images of various types of planets, between isles of indoor plants and a gurgling little stream.

“You must be Captain Olafson and entourage, Dr. Makers has left for Kinlay planet. I am here to fill in for him. I am Dr. Parea Palsan.”

“Yes, I am Captain Olafson. This is my XO, Luitennant Hi. My OPS officer, Lt.Narth and my Chief Science Officer, Lt. Schwartz.” I made a gesture towards Shea and included Narth. “These are my science experts, and I think they should take the lead in this. Mr.Hi and I will remain in the background observing.”

Sure enough, only ten minutes later we found ourselves in a lab of sorts surrounded by charts, info bubbles, rock and mineral samples. Visuals of volcanic activity and burning worlds.

The Thauran scientist did not display any of the antics her species seemed so famous for, but then she treated Har-Hi and me with that benevolent arrogance many scientists put on when talking to what they considered un-educated laymen.

She threw around special terms, explained charts using acronyms and rolled her eyes when Har-Hi asked what ACP meant and responded.”Active Control Point, Luitenant.” She said it as if even an idiot knew that.”There are well-stocked serv-matics in the cafeteria.”

Shea glared at her and started asking questions. It took my beautiful fiance, less than a minute to make the Thauran expert stumble and stutter trying to understand and answer Shea. Narth didn’t hold back either and then Har-Hi begun lecturing her on the thermodynamic exchange of magma layers and the pressure built up beneath thin-crusted planets.

Dr.Palsan said.”Maybe it will be better we call Dr.Makers he should be reachable via GalNet. That Avatar conference was scheduled to take place shortly anyway. I see you are quite the subject experts already and need no refresher in planetology.”

Har-Hi leaned close to me as we followed her to another room.”Know I know how you do it all the time.”

“Narth?”

“Yes.”

“Glad I didn’t make a fool if myself. I wondered what an Automatic Colt Pistol had to do with all of this.”

“You and the Eternal Warrior are the only ones carrying such an antique and relate ACP to that piece of steel under your armpit.”

“It seems you know it too.”

Har-Hi pointed at Narth.”No, I didn’t, he did.”

Narth actually snickered under his hood.”Hey, Har-Hi is my friend too.”

“I am not complaining.”

While we talked, the Avatar of a Stellaris appeared. Being around Circuit long enough and remembering Commander Letsgo, I was able to instantly recognize the small but telltale differences between a Stellaris and an X101-Sentmac. He wore a maroon one-piece suit, with the logo of the explorer corps on his sleeves.

He greeted us and introduced himself as Dr. Makers. Then he went straight to the subject.”My colleague and friend Dr.Palsan had a chance to introduce you to the matter, and refresh or educate you why a planet might turn from garden world to what we call a Shattered world.”

His avatar nodded towards the Thauran, scientist and she said.”It appears fleet command sent officers that exceed my level of knowledge in this matter, Mark.”

“Very good. So you know about the natural reasons. However since our outpost and a science cruiser was attacked about 9 months ago, and seven additional worlds turned from garden to hell we are certain these are the results of sentient action. A previously unknown species identifying themselves as the Ypeherix appear to be at the core of this mystery.

First contact occurred in a non-union system. According to our strict first contact laws, it was determined the Ypeherix been there before.”

He looked at a PDD he was holding, then looked up.”You are Captain Olafson, right?”

“Yes, I am.”

“I am here on the third planet of system N-346-554-696. It has been occupied by a non-tribe associated Dai. For some reason, there is a report from VASCO claiming you have been here.”

“I have been there, Dr. Makers and made contact with both Dai living there and a Ypeherix. I was attacked by the Ypeherix and it also fought and killed Dai.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.