Erica Olafson, Journeys of the Tigershark (Vol 9) - Cover

Erica Olafson, Journeys of the Tigershark (Vol 9)

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 13: Alice

Our ship had settled down on its landing gear and Shaka powered down the Arti Gravs.

Har-Hi pointed at a large number of tanks and artillery pieces that had been assembled around the vast empty plane, that was designated to us as a place to land.

“I don’t think those are all for military honors. I think they are still quite nervous about us.”

Narth agreed with my XO. “To describe the entire planet’s population, the terms anxiety and fear would be on top of my choices.”

Mehdi occupying a multi-task console at the rear of the bridge said.”This is a First Contact situation. They are TL 3, we are close to TL 9. Their other first contact led to a catastrophe and generations of war preparations. The fact they let us land is actually a big step.”

Har-Hi sighed.”They shot at us with their biggest nukes, what makes them think. Tanks and artillery will do them any good?”

“It is a psychological response.” Mehdi started to explain.

I got up. “Well, no sense of make them wait and increase their anxiety. I can see their King and the usual bunch of officials.”

I looked around my bridge.”Har-Hi, Shea and Mehdi please join me in meeting them.”

“Waz abouze meeze?”

I noticed the worm creature curling up from a seat right next to Mehdi.

“Ah, Mr.Meeze have you decided what department you want to be in?”

Har-Hi rolled his eyes.”He wanted to be in the command team.”

“Yeeze, Meeze pretzy smarz, buz Daiz XOz saiz heze wanz noz takez ze orderz form Meeze. Meeze in ze kitzens wiz ze chefz.”

“I don’t have much time right now, but out of curiosity. I didn’t know the Galley has a bridge station.”

“Iz haz it nowz.”

Still grinning, somehow I could not get mad at that feisty worm thing. He seemed full of himself, but he was utterly confident. Seemed to fear little and I knew there was much more to Meeze than what meets the eye.

I tugged at my Uniform tunic and missed my Black Velvet outfit. Har-Hi handed me a pair of gloves and pointed at the readout field screen next to the airlock.”I know it isn’t Nilfeheim cold but it’s nippy and besides these gloves are regulation.”

Ak Pure called his Marines at attention then sent them out to the honor guard detail. Har-Hi, Shea, Mehdi and I followed down the ramp. While I did I realized we hardly ever used the IST shaft that was meant for this anymore.

The King and his entourage awaited us.

He actually bowed as we approached and said.”In the name of my people and our world Skedri, I welcome you.”

“Thank you, your Majesty. I am Captain Olafson, representing the United Stars of the Galaxies. Thank you for your trust.”

--””--

Alice watched the Captain and the officers she selected, leave the ship, then she checked her PDD for her duty assignments. The Tigershark kept Union Standard Time regardless where she was, according to SHIP it was early afternoon at the planet’s timezone where the Tigershark had touched down, but it was Six Hour late for civilians or 0101 hours for all Union military. Her shift had officially ended one minute ago and now she was off duty and went straight to her quarters, to take off the BDU, take a nice real water shower and then see what was going on at the Den.

She was now officially a midshipman, and per exception granted by the Admiral of the Fleet himself, she had spent her academy training aboard the Tigershark. She had to go to classes held by senior officers and now as other midshipmen rotate through all departments. Right now, she was in tactical and her immediate supervisor was Petty Officer 1st Class Simmons, a jovial and friendly fellow from a place called Harvest 12. Simmons knew everything about Directed Energy Weapons and not just Union weapons, but of virtually from every known society. Simmons never yelled or ridiculed, but he and everyone else told her that this was not how most of the rest of the Union Navy was.

She got a glimpse of that during the few months she did have to go to the regular academy after their first mission officially ended.

When she thought about that, she also remembered how it all begun for her, back on Sin 4.

She had been found by Papa Nestor, as a baby. More dead than alive between the rotting, vermin-infested waste of Trash Island. Alice had no recollection of her real parents, but she didn’t care. To her, Papa Nestor was the only father, the only parent she knew and loved.

The crew and the captain of the Tigershark had found them. Nestor became the planet representative for the Stik and the planet that was now known as Wooorld and the old name Sin 4 faded into history. Alice, who had tremendous psionic powers that manifested in telekinetic abilities remained aboard the Tigershark, primarily to stay with Narth who was the best psionic teacher anyone could ever ask for. Right from the start, she could lift enormous loads with what she called her invisible hands, but now she could threat a needle, sink a nail, bend a steel rod and lift a landing tank at the same time. She could disassemble that landing tank or any other thing in its components, just like a Narth. Narth was not done of course and he began to show her how matter on a microscopic level could be manipulated.

Thinking all this she had reached Deck 4, where the majority of crew quarters were located. Her quarters, Crew accommodation Dorm D4-12 was on the starboard side of the central deck corridor.

The Tigershark didn’t have designated midship facilities and her quarters were right next to the quarters of TheOther and Xon.

She shared her quarters with Tyron Suit, Jolaj and Sylia Sobur. While the Tigershark crew dorms were usually for four crew members. Her friend Dusty did not share with anyone, TheOther and Xon shared quarters but there really wasn’t room for more.

Jolaj had the privacy screen of her bunk turned on and was most likely sleeping. Alice had learned that Togar of all ages and both genders loved to take naps whenever they could. Besides Cateria, the stern CMO kept her staff busy and the Snowball was probably exhausted and perhaps catching up on sleep she didn’t get during her horrible ordeal.

But Ensign Sylia Sobur, the Thauran science officer had apparently just arrived herself and was in the process of getting undressed.

Alice knew Sylia’s biggest secret, the Thauran was of the noblest family of all Thauria. Her mother was a direct descendant of Rene Thauran himself, but Alice had sworn never to reveal that to anyone. Alice did not grow up on Union side and had no exposure or experience with other Union societies, but she was there when Sylia tried to hide from the captain and she heard the Captain’s apology. Since then she had learned a lot about the Thaurans. Since then, the Tigershark crew received three more Thaurans and especially aboard this ship, it meant little from where you came or what you happened to be.

Alice shared the quarters with the Thauran for almost three years and had developed a deep friendship with the Blue skinned beauty.

Over the years, Alice had learned just how well earned that Thauran reputation was. Sylia had snapped at her more than just once and displayed almost unbearable arrogance, only to realize what she had done and felt deeply ashamed. Sylia worked hard on changing her Thauran ingrained nature.

Aboard the Tigershark it was easy and the Thauran officer was as loved and respected like any other person aboard. No one, including Sylia, doubted one second that the Captain would not do the same for her, what she had done for Jolaj.

Sylia smiled at Alice.”Done with whatever they had you do today?”

“Quite so. I just lingered for a moment watching the captain leave the ship to meet the locals of this Prim planet. PO Officer Simmons had me pull a Level One on the Forward QP DEs of the Apparition.”

“Aren’t you tired of all this regular training stuff? You are the strongest telekinets there is, you could be in the PSI corps in a snap. No more maintenance.”

Alice peeled out of her Bord Duty Uniform.”You are not serious, right? What if we would be stuck with busted QPs and the Captain asks me to fix them? Circuit and Warner can do it with closed eyes.”

“I am a little bit serious, not much though. I was serious about the PSI corps.”

“PSI Corps is Army. There I could never become what I really want to be, a Helmsman. You know Shaka said I have real talent.”

“You are crazy, you know that. You would be a star at PSI Corps, there are millions of Helmsmen.”

“And one day I will be one of them.”

Sylia, now in her birthday suit went for the hygiene facility.”Tomorrow is your birthday right?”

“Well, the anniversary of the day Papa Nestor found me. We are too far from GalNet to call him and no one else will know.”

--””--

They had a big banquet organized and after Shea discreetly scanned the food offerings and signaled that it was consumable and not poisoned or toxic, we ate the bland fare that consisted of nicely presented fruits, vegetables, and boiled snakes.

The table was enormous and seated at least 500. The event was also apparently broadcasted by the local media.

It took me a little to get used to the suspended rope loop that served as a seat, but I managed. The utensils consisted of spoon like tools that, with a sharp serrated side to cut the food.

In all this, my mind took me back to my very first academy day and the formal dinner there. I remembered the Nogoll instructor and realized how comprehensive our training really was. That lesson so far back served me well now.

A Skedrik that was introduced to me as the Sky Commander worked up his courage. “Alien Commandant, female Olafson. Is it true you can see our enemies, the Cavaro?”

“Our sensors can detect their activities and we are able to monitor their communications.”

“We have no real intelligence, regarding them. Our first warship, the Plobir na Tanga has been launched to strike their capital city.”

“It is not really our business, but would not be meeting with them and talking things over be preferable? We have analyzed both communication streams and we think the events that caused the tragic catastrophe to your city were not intentional.”

An older cabinet member blustered.”We are done talking. The signals take years to reach them anyway.”

“I was thinking of taking a delegation of yours there, you talk to them and find out yourself what we suspect happened.”

“We are a tad faster than that, we could be there in a few minutes.”

--””--

The frequent storm, the locals called the Yellow Wall had blown over, and with a routine established for many thousand years, the residents of Sandakaar shoveled and brushed yellow dust and sand. Windows and doorways were opened.

And as always, a few usually newcomers that did not heed the warnings were caught in the storm and fell victim for the Yellow shapes, the shadows of something unspoken that dwelled within the billowing dust clouds.

The proprietor and employees of the old Estresa caravanserai also removed shutters and covers. Business as usual, the sturdy tent became busier as this side of the planet turned away from its sun and night was approaching.

Lumis said to Ciferus as they both poised to leave. “I have heard of this Sentinel of the Rifts, but to be truthful I heard little more than rumors. Is he associated with the Seven Circles?”

“The Sentinel of the Rifts has been on Avondur before Corflic and the Orlan arrived,” Ciferus answered. “It is said, he is the only one remembering the First Empire. As much as I like to be known as a person with great knowledge about these things, I too only rely on stories and hearsay about the Sentinel, but I know he is not associated with any of the Seven Circles. The sentinel lords over the oldest rifts. The ones in the Desert of a Thousand Doors.” The self-proclaimed demon lord snickered and added, “I know where the Sentinel can be found.”

“Why has Crea never mentioned this weapon? Would she not have equipped me with it?”

Ciferus made a hissing sound.”You are but a tool to the spirit of creation. Has she never found it necessary to speak to you about the first time the Dark One was defeated?”

Lumis could do nothing but shake his head and then with weak defiance he said.”Crea will give me what I need to defeat the Dark One.”

Ciferus pointed down the street and said.”It is a long way to the Sentinel. He can be summoned only at the Gateway Oasis, about five day marches from here.

It is late, and no caravan is heading out at this hour. Let us return to the Estresa, and I will tell you about the weapon and Crea and how it all started.”

Lumis agreed. He was the champion of light and a powerful entity. Yet he felt like a child sent out to perform a task he knew nothing about.”Yes, let us do that. The Dark One has still many Tokens to find and we have time.”

“We have time for you to hear the story but time is of the essence, Lord Lumis.”

The two returned to the Caravanserai and settled down. While they were served cold water, strong tea, and hot broth, the Demon Lord began to tell about events that occurred after the first Universe came to be.

--””--

Alice and Sylia decided to visit R deck instead of the Den. The Tigersharks recreation deck was of course not as elaborate as on a Battleship and didn’t technically cover a whole deck, but was part of deck 4 and included the crew lounge. Ever since there was the Den, this lounge was not as busy as it would be on a regular ship of the same class and size.

But according to the board activity list, the Union Culture committee hosted a Saran festival night. The Saran members of the crew, under the lead of Luitenant Commander Elfiatra, decorated the lounge, provided traditional Saran food and drinks, Saran music and dances. The event had started with a ceremony honoring Saran gods and was now well underway.

Both Alice and her friend had dressed in traditional Saran female costume, complete with wigs, makeup and revealing dresses of translucent white fabric.

The lounge was packed, everyone off duty seemed to be there. That the ship was currently sitting on a plane of an alien planet mattered little to the daily shipboard routines.

Everyone knew that Nefertiti Elfiatra was the daughter of the Saran Queen, but aboard the Tigershark, such things mattered little. Off duty, she was Elfi to everyone, but seeing her in all her royal glory hit it home to everyone that her status was more than just a title.

While Alice had little to no exposure to the Union, Papa Nestor had told her about the power and might of the Saran empire. Sylia, of course, knew every detail. Her family considered themselves noble and was thaught about the Saran queens and their vast influence.

Elfi’s true position elevated her far beyond even the Thauran Emperor. The princess however never made a big deal about it.

Jolaj apparently had changed her mind and also joined the event, appearing in the costume of the Saran cat goddess Bast, a white version of course and despite or because of her feline nature she was among the most beautiful females aboard.

With a screech, Fafnir winged its way across the room. Alice snatched him more or less right out of the air and petted the still growing black Dragon creature, much to its obvious delight.

Chef Eeryt stood behind a buffet and served Saran food.

Elfi and two Saran officers stood with him, and the beautiful princess acknowledged everyone, with a charming smile and the traditional Saran pre-meal greeting.”RA provided, Sara enjoys.”

Alice found this especially nice and thanked the Saran Princess, repeating the words.

Someone said.”It is a shame our captain isn’t here. She’d enjoy that too.”

Elfi sighed with a charming smile.”She will join later if she can. Looks like the Skedrik are putting together a committee we going to take to the Cavaro. While we play shuttle Shea, Narth and Dusty are fishing for the Ypeherix things.”

She raised the bowl.”As per Captain’s orders, shipboard routines are not to be interrupted. All Saran worlds and many other communities across Union space celebrate Queen’s Ascension Jubilee today. The USS Tigershark is a Union ship and so we decided to celebrate with all of you.” Elfi touched her forehead with the bowl and said.”RA provided, Sara enjoys. May the Queen be blessed with wisdom and health. May her reign be long.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.