The Eighth Warden Book 1 - Cover

The Eighth Warden Book 1

Copyright© 2019 by Ivy Veritas

Chapter 4

Present day...

Five days after speaking to the tavern keeper about the bards, Corec was doing the same thing again at an inn in another small village farther west.

“They was just here last night,” the fellow said, with a trace of a hillfolk accent. “Put on a right good show, they did.”

“Did they follow the road west when they left?” Corec asked.

“I suppose they must have. Someone from the city really sent you this far out just to track down two singers?”

Corec laughed, trying to portray an air of harmless indifference. “Well, they didn’t know know it would be this far when they sent me. It doesn’t bother me any—they’re paying me by the day.”

The innkeeper grinned in acknowledgment. “Then I almost hate to disappoint you by mentioning that they just left two hours ago. I reckon you’ll catch up to them shortly.”

“I suppose I should get going, then,” Corec said, passing a copper coin to the man. “Thank you for the information.”

Back on Dot, he headed west again, leading the pack mule. It was only midmorning, and he suspected his horse was faster than theirs. If he was lucky, he might be able to start the journey back to Tyrsall that afternoon. Barring any problems, he could make it to the city in time to catch the caravan back to Four Roads.

That, however, brought up a thought that had been gnawing at him. He wasn’t entirely sure how he was going to capture two people that didn’t wish to be captured. He’d brought several lengths of thin but strong rope to keep them under control once he had them, but the actual act of catching them was still hazy in his mind. He knew how to fight—he was good at it, even—but the bounty was for bringing them in alive. Not that he wanted to hurt them in the first place; they hadn’t stolen anything from him. In fact, the man had deliberately avoided Corec and the other armed guards who’d been seated with him. Corec was sure he could handle either of the musicians alone, but two at once would be a problem.

Other than his long knife and a belt knife, Corec’s only weapon was his greatsword, which was hardly the sort of tool that would be useful for capturing someone alive and unharmed. What did real bounty hunters use? Some type of net? Of course, the more rewarding bounties typically didn’t require bringing the target in alive, which probably made the question moot.

He finally admitted to himself that he’d come on this venture almost completely unprepared, simply because he’d wanted to see the girl again. He was still fascinated by her eyes. And her hair. And the bit of cleavage she’d shown. Not that she was likely to be happy with him for catching her and dragging her back to Tyrsall to stand before a judge. The prison sentence for a first-time thief was short, but that didn’t mean anyone would choose it voluntarily.

Rounding a curve, Corec saw two horses tied at the side of the road, near a copse of trees. Dismounting, he loosely tied Dot and the mule to a nearby branch, wanting to be on foot in case these were the two he was looking for.

He took his helmet off and walked over slowly. It wasn’t possible to be stealthy while wearing his armor, but he didn’t want to appear threatening. As he approached, he heard the faint sound of voices and stopped to listen.

“Why are we stopping so early?” a woman asked.

A man’s voice replied. “The stable boy said the next village is a day and a half ride, so we’re not going to reach it today. We’ve got firewood and water here, so it’s as good a place to camp as any.”

“I don’t understand why you’re in a rush to get to Dalewood. Isn’t it small?”

“It’s a lot bigger than these villages we’ve been passing through. We can stay there for a few days, like we did in Tyrsall.”

“We should have stayed in Tyrsall. It’s huge.”

“We’re too visible to stay in one place if you want to keep doing this the way we’re doing it. We need to keep moving. Barz getting nicked again should have taught you that. This was your idea, Katrin. We were doing just fine in Circle Bay.”

“It would have taken us years to make enough money to get him released just playing music,” the woman replied.

“Then don’t complain unless you’ve got a better idea.”

Corec had heard enough to know he’d found the people he was looking for. To avoid startling them, he began making noise as he walked forward.

“Hello? Is anyone there?” he asked as he walked into the trees, finally able to see the two thieves in a small clearing.

They looked at him suspiciously, eyeing the sword hilt poking over his shoulder.

“Who are you?” the old man asked.

Corec decided to try the story he’d been using on the trail. “I saw you two play outside Tyrsall. This would have been, oh, nine or ten days ago, I think? I was with a caravan and some of the men mentioned you to a company representative. He sent me to see if you’d come back to the city. They’re holding a gala next week and they’d like to hire you.”

The girl looked hopeful but the old man was more suspicious. “A gala?” he asked. “In the summer? Which company?”

“It was Overland that sent me after you.” Corec didn’t want to risk his job with Senshall by using their name, in case it somehow got back to them.

“Why us?”

“Two bards that aren’t already beholden to one of the other houses?” Corec pointed out with a shrug.

“How much does it pay?” the girl—Katrin—asked.

“One gold each for the gala, as long as you don’t work for any of the other houses for the two days before and after. Two silver a day for the travel since you’d have to double back. And Overland might have some smaller events you could work afterward.”

“We can’t do it,” the man said flatly. “We’re headed in the other direction.”

“Are you certain? It’s good pay, and it never hurts to have your names known to the companies.”

“I’m certain.”

“Wait,” Katrin said. “Felix, could we talk?” She took the man’s arm and led him away so they could speak privately.

Corec couldn’t hear what they were saying, but it was obvious the girl wanted to return to the city and the man didn’t. The two finished their conversation, then came back.

“We’ll do it,” the girl said.

“Great,” Corec said. If his quarry would return to the city with him willingly, that would make things a lot easier. “We can make it back to that last village before dark.”

“We’re not going anywhere for today,” Felix said. “The horses need a rest. But I’m still counting this as one of the days of travel you’ll be paying us for.”

“All right, but we go at my pace the rest of the trip. If we’re not back in time for the gala, then the whole deal’s off, including the travel pay.”

The man nodded.

Although they’d agreed to return, Corec felt uneasy. Katrin looked happy enough, but Felix was seething underneath his words, and Corec knew he hadn’t allayed the man’s suspicions. There was nothing to do about it, though, other than act as if everything was all right. He walked down the road to retrieve Dot and the mule, bringing them back so he could picket them near the bards’ two old nags. He removed the saddles and tack, switched Dot’s bridle for a halter, and brushed them both.

He set his saddlebags and packs down near a tree, and left his helmet and gauntlets next to them. “Is there water nearby for the animals?”

“I’ll show you,” Katrin said. “I’ve already watered our horses.”

They untied the lead ropes from the picket line. Corec led Dot, the two of them following behind Katrin and the mule.

“Are you from Tyrsall?” she asked.

“No. I grew up in the Black Crow Mountains. That’s in Larso. What about you?”

She was ahead of him, so he couldn’t see her face, but he sensed hesitation. “Circle Bay,” she finally said.

It sounded like she didn’t want to talk about that anymore, so he cast his mind around looking for other topics. The stream was farther away than he’d thought, and he got worried when he could no longer see Felix or the clearing through the trees.

“Where were you heading?” he asked.

“No place in particular. Uncle Felix was a traveling minstrel when he was younger, and he thought it would be good practice for me.”

“He’s your uncle?” Corec found himself relieved, glad she wasn’t sleeping with the old man.

“Great uncle; my mother’s uncle.”

They reached the stream. The mule headed for the water immediately while Dot was more reluctant, but soon she started drinking too.

Katrin glanced at Corec’s armor. “What’s that symbol?” she asked, pointing to his chest.

“It’s a family crest, from the family that raised me after my mother died.” Thinking about his armor reminded Corec of the itch on his arm, which was stronger than ever. It was getting harder to ignore, but his chain shirt extended under the vambrace, so there was no easy way to scratch it.

“You’re a noble?”

He laughed. “Not hardly. They just took me in for a few years.” His mother had been a baron’s concubine, but the rank of a concubine’s child was murky, and usually depended on whether the father had any legitimate children. He didn’t want to discuss that with a stranger, though.

“Oh,” she said. “My name is Katrin.”

While he’d overheard her name earlier, they hadn’t actually introduced themselves. “I’m Corec.” He left off his family name, as he always did. His family preferred not to be associated with him these days.

The animals finished drinking and they led them back to the clearing, this time silently. Corec had never had a problem talking to tavern whores, but he was having trouble thinking of things to say to this girl. Was it because she wasn’t a tavern whore? Or was it because he was planning to arrest her? He was having second thoughts now. Could he really drag her all the way back to Tyrsall to stand trial for her thefts? Perhaps he wasn’t cut out for the bounty hunting business.

As they approached the clearing, he got worried. They were close enough that they should be able to see Felix, but the man was nowhere around. Coming through the last few trees, Corec saw his bags open and the contents strewn around. Tacked to a tree was the wanted poster. He’d requested a copy right before he left Tyrsall, thinking it might come in handy if anyone gave him a hard time about capturing the two.

Katrin had stopped as well, wide-eyed. “Felix!” she called, then saw the poster.

“You bastard!” she shouted at Corec, then took off running.

Corec ran after her. She was hampered by her dress, but he was slowed down more by his armor, so she widened the gap between them. He considered going back for Dot, but worried the girl might end up hurt if he rode her down.

Instead, he tapped into the magic that he never talked about. He didn’t know much—just a few tricks he’d learned over the years. He could make magical lights to see in the dark, and could shield himself from harm for a brief period. And then there was the new trick he’d figured out recently—he put on a burst of speed. It only helped a little, not even letting him run as fast as he could have without the armor, but it was enough to catch up with Katrin and grab her by the arm.

“No!” she shouted, trying to wriggle out of his grasp. “Let me go!”

“I’m not going to hurt you!” He grabbed her other arm, worried she’d break something if she kept twisting around.

They were facing each other now, each of his hands holding one of her wrists. She glared at him angrily, still trying to pull away, though not as wildly as before. He kept a firm grip so she couldn’t get loose.

“You lied to us!” she said. “You were lying the whole time!”

“So were you, so I guess we’re even.”

“I’m not going back!”

“The Tyrsall prison isn’t that bad. I’ve been in there before. Wouldn’t it be better to get your name cleared so nobody else will come after you?”

“You were in prison?” she asked, pausing her attempts to pull out of his grip. She sounded almost curious rather than angry.

“I punched a guy in a bar fight. Though he punched me first.”

“They put you in prison for a bar fight?”

“I was wearing my gauntlets when it happened. I was only in for a week, but they figured it counted as pulling a weapon.”

“I don’t want to go to prison!” she said, starting to struggle again. “I was just trying to get money to get my brother out!”

“Well, I’m sorry about that, but it was other people’s money. Besides, where do you think you’re going to go without your horse?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.