The First Realm: Lee Ki Jung's story - Cover

The First Realm: Lee Ki Jung's story

Copyright© 2019 by Diederik Rask

Chapter 3: Cultivation and More

Ki Jung uses her all her senses to avoid animals larger than a squirrel. She does not limit it to predators. Even large herbivores must be considered dangerous. A stampede of bison, water buffalo, or such would crush her without a thought.

As night approaches, Ki Jung strings her hammock up between two sturdy trees, and then hangs her bag from a branch to make it inaccessible from the ground. The hammock will be better than sleeping on the ground, but she straps the Tanto to her forearm for easy and immediate access.

She has refilled her canteens each time she crossed a water source and ate the available berries and fungi to stave off hunger. This worked well and provided sufficient energy to keep her going through the day. Before she secures her pack, she takes out two granola bars and eats them.

Once all her preparations are complete, Ki Jung climbs into her hammock and settles in. A short time later her breathing evens out and she drifts into a deep slumber. Even in her sleep, a part of her mind keeps an active watch using Qi, though at a much-reduced range. She sleeps well in the fresh open air - something she would not have guessed.

Her travel continues in this same way for five days. On the sixth day, two auspicious events take place. The first is that her constant practice of Pakchulbong finally causes its second Qi-lock to open. This is a much welcome happening, but a terrible surprise when a semi-transparent window pops up in her vision.

~~~~~~ Congratulations! ~~~~~~

You have opened your second Pakchulbong Qi-lock.

Perception: increased from 2 to 3.

Range: 10m

New ability gained: Stun

Range: 2m or physical contact

Note: Stun allows you to focus your Qi into a physical blow that will stun your target based on the difference between your spirit (Qi) and that of your target. Targets with the same Spirit level will have a 50% chance to be stunned for up to five seconds. Chance to stun increases by 10% and duration by 1 second per level of difference lower. It decreases by 10% and one second per difference higher. Max/Min stun chance, 80/20%. Max/Min duration of 10/1 seconds.

To close this screen think, “Close” while focusing on it

~~~~~~ Congratulations! ~~~~~~

For an instant, Ki Jung loses her concentration. It is enough for a badger like creature to come charging out at her. It goes unnoticed until it is about to strike. As the notification caused her to lose her focus, she is at a disadvantage for a split second as the badger engages her. Her senses continued working, but the screen is so unexpected that it creates a situation where her focus narrows to the screen and nothing else for the blink of an eye.

Just before the badger strikes, she swings her spear around in a blocking move, while stepping aside. At the same time, she screams in her head for the screen “to go away!” This causes it minimize. Now, she can see without hindrance, and the fight is on.

Unlike fights against other people, this is a more difficult task. She’s never before had to fight for her life, never mind fighting against a wild beast. And, it wasn’t just any animal; it was one of the most aggressive and challenging to creatures of its size. Be it an African Honey Badger, or a North American Badger, they are fierce fighters with sharp teeth and claws that can shred you like a buzz saw.

Ki Jung doesn’t want to kill it, but she soon realizes that she doesn’t have a choice. Either she ends its life, or it will end hers. To this end, Ki Jung focuses her next strike on stunning the badger with the blunt end of her spear. Luck seems to be on her side, it works! Not wasting a precious second, she stabbed her spear through its body, between the shoulders pinning it to the ground. The badger howls in pain and rage. It’s feet scrabbling frantically.

With great care, Ki Jung unsheathes her Tanto, while maintaining her hold on the spear that is keeping the beast pinned to the ground. Stepping on its back, she drives the blade, (which is made to pierce armor), through the badger’s skull scrambling it brain. The life goes out of it; it is dead by her hand.

If she could, she’d have dropped to the ground and cried over what she just did. She learned to fight, not because she wanted to hurt anyone or anything, but purely to protect herself and anyone else who needed protection. Now, she is responsible for killing a living creature. However, her sight is once again impeded by a window.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.