The First Realm: Lee Ki Jung's story - Cover

The First Realm: Lee Ki Jung's story

Copyright© 2019 by Diederik Rask

Chapter 24: Reaching a Bottleneck in Life

“Sticky Digits” is not an inexpensive spell at 50 gold, but the utility of it is worth the price, Ki Jung decides.

“Thank you for your business, Master Lee,” the merchant says with a bow as the sale is completed.

“Thank you for your kind service, Mr. Han. It is a pleasure doing business with you.

“I was wondering, would you have any suggestions for spells, concoctions, or such for me,” Ki Jung asks.

“Hmm, that would depend on what your needs are, Honored Master. What are your needs, known or suspected?”

“I’m working on my body cultivation. I’m at Body of Copper, but I think it will be a while before my next breakthrough. On top of that, I am working on Blessed Whole at the moment. I have fire and ice spells in my spell-book and have become quite adept with them. The only shortcoming that I can see is healing. I haven’t decided if I want to learn it as a spell or to go with concoctions.”

“I see. I would suggest both spell and concoctions for healing. Especially if you may find yourself alone without assistance. A concoction can help immediately. A spell can be more powerful; it takes time to cast it.

“It seems to me you are well rounded, as a martial artist. You are cultivating your body, Dantians, meridians, and inner body. At best, I could recommend concoctions to assist you in making breakthroughs when you encounter them. I would caution you about spreading yourself too thin. Few warriors have the spiritual roots to be able to achieve half as much as you have, Master Lee.”

“Thank you, Mr. Han. What spell would you suggest I use for healing?”

“What is your current spell casting ability at?”

“I am at Novice level two in spell casting, Mr. Han.”

“Ah, then it will be limited. For now, I believe I have just the thing,” Mr. Han says as he turns away for a moment and pulls out a scroll from a nearby cubbyhole. Turning back, he hands her a scroll and says, “This spell is within your reach. It will increase as your skill does, but you’ll want to upgrade when you advance into the level of an apprentice.”

Ki Jung take the scroll with a smile. “Thank you, Mr. Han. How much for this spell?”

“It is one gold, Master Lee. However,” he says before she can say or do anything, “Today, I will let you have it for 50 silver.”

“You are too kind, Mr. Han. You honor me with your kindness,” she said as she pays the 50 silver.

“You have done much for many in the community, and you have brought us much business. Besides, I hope to have you as a long term customer and perhaps, in time, as a friend.”

“You have treated me fairly and helped me by answering my questions. How could I even think of going anywhere else,” Ki Jung laughed.

“I must be on my way. Thank you again, Mr. Han,” she said as she presents her cupped hands to him.

“Thank you and come back soon, Master Lee,” Mr. Han says in response as he returns the cupped hand salute.

With that, Ki Jung is once again on her way. Min Joon has already gone to the market and returned home, while she made her stop at The Five Elements. With her shopping complete, Ki Jung returns to Mrs. Pak’s cart. They will walk home together.

As Ki Jung waits on Auntie Pak to finish, she takes out the minor healing scroll and studies it with the intent to learn it. In a moment, it dissolves into nothing as the knowledge had been transferred into her mind. She wants to test it, but she lacks a subject to heal. She will just have to wait.

On the way home, the two of them talk\ about their days. It was a typical day for Auntie Pak: she made a few sales and had a lot of people who came by looking but not making any purchases. She was sure that a few of them were thieves with larceny in their hearts. However, her cart is protected by a warding spell that prevents anyone but her from picking up any item. She pays a monthly fee to a local spell caster who specialized in such spells. If she could afford it, she would get a permanent formation instead. Still, it is a good value as she has never lost inventory to theft.

For Ki Jung, it had been a week since the competition. Her newest student, Peng Chanming, is coming along nicely. Other students had indicated an interest in learning her style of martial art, too. And, while she enjoys teaching, and is also learning a lot, she feels that something is missing. She expresses this feeling to Auntie Pak.

“Auntie, I don’t know what to do. I feel like I am stuck. Like my life is in a bottleneck. I’m learning plenty and teaching little brother and the others is a pleasure. But something is missing.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.