The First Realm: Lee Ki Jung's story - Cover

The First Realm: Lee Ki Jung's story

Copyright© 2019 by Diederik Rask

Chapter 13: Sales and Shopping

Reaching V. Pak June, Ki Jung greets her with a smile, which the woman returns. Ki Jung then inquires about rings. She already knows that hers is the least expensive and has the smallest capacity. The largest storage rings go for many gold, though Mrs. Pak does not carry those.

Ki June settles on a ring with a capacity of two cubic meters for one Gold. That was the only gold piece she had and she received from the would-be bully during her first visit. When the deal is done, V June Pak scolds her for not haggling.

“Ki Jung, you need to learn to haggle. If you don’t, you will surely be taken advantage of.”

“I’m sorry, Mrs. Pak, but as you can see from my clothing, I am not from here. I am still learning. Perhaps you could instruct me?”

“Hmm. That I could. Come back at the end of the day and find me. You pay for a meal, and I will gladly teach you. You’re a nice, polite young woman. It would please me to help you.”

With a bow and a smile, Ki Jung accepts the offer begins to head off. Stopping before she takes five steps, she turns around and asks, “Mrs. Pak, where might I find a place to purchase spells?”

“Spells? Let me see,” she says and then thinks on it for a moment.

“Ah, I know just the place, though offer 50% of what they tell you the spell will cost, then work up until you reach a middle ground. Head two streets over that way,” she says and points, “then five that way.” “You will find a shop there called ‘The Five Elements.’ They sell spells and related items. Now, be on your way. I must make sales to earn my living!”

That last is said with a smile as she watches Ki Jung head off. Ki Jung is also smiling. She is sure that she has made a friendly acquaintance, if not a friend here.


She marks the location of “The Five Elements” on her map and then heads to visit her friend Mr. Jaden at his shop. The shop is moderately busy, but its proprietor notices her almost right away.

“Miss Lee, it is so good to see you again! Have you brought me another badger, or perhaps something else,” he asks in a friendly manner.

“Good day to you, Mr. Jaden. It is good to see you as well! No Badger today, but I do want to see about selling a few items. If you have time.”

“Of course, I have time. Just let me finish up this sale. My son can handle the rest.” And, with that, he finishes up with the customer he is currently waiting on and motions Ki Jung over to him. They engage in some polite talk as she unshoulders her pack. She then works to extract the poncho with the organs and brain. Then come the feathers, the tarps with the head and bones, and places them on the counter carefully.

“Did you find this on your way into town, Miss Lee?”

“Only if you mean it nearly killed me, but I came out on top, then yes. I did.”

Mr. Jaden’s face goes pale upon hearing this. “You. You killed this yourself?”

“Yes, why,” she asks.

“That is no minor feat, Miss Lee,” he tells her with great deference. “The Rampaging Hook-beak is no simple animal. They are fast, cunning, and difficult kill. It is a miracle that you did not perish. I am so happy you survived!”

As he says this, the awe in his voice is unmistakable, and Ki Jung notices it, “Mr. Jaden, I will admit it was not easy to kill it. It took many blows to the neck before it finally was unable to move. Even then, I had to kill it by piercing the brain.”

“You are quite the accomplished young woman, Miss Lee,” he says as he starts to look at all that she has presented him with. He is thrilled with the intact hide but suggests that everything else go either to a magic shop and butcher, or all to the auction house.

She haggles a little over the price, in a friendly way. This makes Mr. Jaden smile. In the end, the price is 10 gold for the hide, and both are happy with the outcome.

Next, Ki Jung heads to the butcher’s shop that is just down the street, though in the opposite direction of “The Five Elements.” In a few minutes, she has sold the meat for 20 gold. The butcher us just as amazed as Mr. Jaden had been when he learned that she had personally killed the creature. Gold in hand, items restored in her ring, she heads out and up the street, happy to have the pack off her back.

A few minutes later, she walks into the front door of “The Five Elements” and is instantly floored by what she finds inside. Spanning two sides of the place is a wall of cubbyholes filled with scrolls. Along another wall are stacks of cages with rats, frogs, birds, and more. A counter wraps around in front of all three walls. There are five people busily moving back and forth behind the counter. Each is taking customers’ orders and fulfilling them.

Ki Jung gets behind someone in an apparent line and waits. As she waits, she watches and listens. In doing so, she learns a little more about haggling. She can’t believe what she’s hearing! Insults are being traded back and forth. Talk of robbery, thievery, starving children, and more. In spite of all this talk, tat the end, the merchants and customers smile and shake hands and part ways with smiles. This is like some of the old movies she’s seen, and she had thought they were exaggerating!

So engrossed is she in learning from watching that time passes quickly. Soon, Ki Jung finds herself at the counter.

“How may I assist young Miss today,” an older looking woman in simple but fine-looking clothing asks her.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.