The First Realm: Lee Ki Jung's story - Cover

The First Realm: Lee Ki Jung's story

Copyright© 2019 by Diederik Rask

Chapter 12: Return to Dong Kyu

Unlike the first time, Ki Jung does not find herself far out in the wilderness. Instead, she is about 25km outside of Dong Kyu. She finds herself standing on a rise that provides an overview of the town and the land around it. From this vantage point, she observes the town and all that is going on. This view is from the opposite side of the Dong Kyu and the gate she first entered through.

Her vantage point doesn’t give her a good view of what is within the walls. However, it does allow her to get a better idea of the size of Dong Kyu. She can see hundreds of buildings within the security of the wall. There are defensive emplacements all around the outer wall’s structure and guards can be seen making their rounds. This reminds her to let her senses expand to their full range. Fortunately, nothing dangerous comes to her attention. She isn’t sure, but guesses that the size of this place is that of a large town, or small city. It is definitely larger than an outpost and it isn’t a metropolis.

She can see roads leading in three directions. Each with traffic on them. The roads lead to three different gates where people can be seen moving about, many carrying their wares on their backs. Farmers are observed leading herds of animals ranging in size from ducks to oxen. Carts and wagons are being pulled by beasts of burden, too. Not a single machine doing any work to be seen. One of the roads branches off to what looks like a mine. Carts are coming out with some kind of load that has obviously been pulled from below. These are being emptied into wagons and then return to the mine empty. One cart comes out every five minutes, or so it seems. Once a wagon is full, a team of oxen pull it to the city, at which point she cannot follow it any further.

After taking it all in for half an hour, Ki Jung begins walking towards the gate nearest her. Unfortunately, she suddenly finds herself facing some strange animal. It can best be described as a cross between the body of a Shetland Pony, the head of a parrot, and legs thick as tree trunks with rocky knobs on the bottom of its pads. This thing is incredibly fast!

Her senses give her enough warning to prepare to take the charge. She plants the spear’s butt into the ground, angles it to take the beast in the chest head-on. The creature isn’t stupid and recognizes the threat. At the last moment, it moves to the side just enough to miss being skewered, taking a glancing blow that leaves a cut on the upper front limb. At the same time, it twists its head to the side and snatches the shaft right out of her hands!

Without thinking, she draws her Shinken while she pivots to face the beast, which has slowed down to turn back around. This time she is better prepared. She knows this menace is not a simple-minded creature, but one that is capable of acting upon perceived threats. It may not be sentient, but it certainly isn’t stupid.

The beast screams at her, having tossed her spear aside and out of reach, and sprints at her in a mad rush. A sword is dangerous, but not as much as being impaled would have been. Thus, it intends to trample her under its feet and end her life. Beak wide, neck extended, feathers puffed out along its neck as it screams, and comes bearing down on Ki Jung. It expects her to try to evade and is ready to adjust accordingly. However, Ki Jung doesn’t try to avoid it. Her eyes gleam as she steps back while turning as she strikes right the beast across the top of its beak. The instant the blade makes contact, the creature’s legs buckle under it, and it face plants into the ground. Almost immediately, it is attempting to get up, but it seems to be dazed. Her stun succeeds, but she also took a blow as the beast passed her. She can feel that the muscles of her right side have been bruised from shoulder to hip. She must end this as quickly as possible. From the time she achieved Body like Stone, nothing has bruised her.

Ki Jung doesn’t waste the opening and goes for the neck, which is still extended and exposed for the moment. Her first strike rips through flesh and opens some blood vessels, but is far from decapitating it, the creature bellows and attempts to bite her! She strikes again and again, with precision and care. Legs flailing, the creature attempts to right itself, but it fails to do so before she severs the spinal cord. Unable to watch the beast suffer, Ki Jung pulls out her Tanto blade and drives it into the creature’s skull ending its life even as it attempts to bite her with its deadly beak.

~~~~~~ Congratulations! ~~~~~~

You have killed a Rampaging Hook-beak – a class zero chimera.

You have gained experience. Kill 19 more Rampaging hook-beaks to level up!

Agility +1

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.