Good Medicine - Sophomore Year - Cover

Good Medicine - Sophomore Year

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Chapter 9: Salvage Operation

July 25, 1982, West Monroe, Ohio

"Hi, Angie, it's Mike," I said when she answered the phone on Sunday afternoon.

"Mike? We just talked during the week! What's up? Is there a problem with me coming to visit in two weeks?"

"No, not at all. I wanted to talk to you about the problems I'm having with Jocelyn."

"Uh-oh. Did something bad happen?"

"You could say that," I sighed. "Do you have time to talk? This won't be a short conversation."

"For you? Of course!"

I explained, as best I could, what had happened. There really wasn't a way to leave out the fact that Jocelyn and I had been intimate and that I'd ended that part of the relationship. I felt kind of bad for talking about it, but I needed advice, and there really was nowhere else to turn. Angie mostly listened, only asking one question to clarify something I said which seemed contradictory.

"So, I guess you can see the problem now," I said after I finished explaining.

"First, please don't get depressed."

"Too late," I said.

I'd been fine when I'd arrived home the previous night but hadn't been able to get to sleep because everything that had happened with Jocelyn had churned in my mind, and by morning, I was an emotional wreck once again. Church hadn't helped the way it usually did, and I'd left immediately after the service, begging off from even having coffee by saying I wasn't feeling well. Tasha hadn't been happy, but she'd said she understood.

"Depression is dangerous, Mike," Angie warned. "I have a friend who basically shut down for nearly a year before she got help, and even now, she's barely able to function. We were worried she might try to kill herself."

"That's not going to happen," I said. "I'd never do that."

"Well, then please don't do anything foolish."

"My mom said the same thing."

"How can I put this delicately? You can't get out of it from, uhm, physical pleasure."

I had to laugh.

"So I can't screw my way to a good mood?"

Angie tittered, "No, I don't think you can."

"It might be fun to try!" I countered.

"Is that what you really want, Mike? Just physical pleasure?"

"No, of course not! But you and my mom seem to think I might try that solution. I do have a bit more self-control than the two of you seem to think."

"I know, Mike, but depression is dangerous."

"You know this just from your friend?"

Angie sighed, "No. From me."

"What?! You don't seem depressed!"

"We can talk about me later. I'm concerned about you."

"I'm not going to do anything stupid, Angie," I said. "I called for advice from a close friend."

"You might not want to hear this, but maybe Jocelyn is right. Maybe time apart is just what you need. She can get her head straight, and you can, too. You just broke up with Melody, after all."

"More like she broke up with me," I said.

"Over something you did, KNOWING that she would have a problem with it. Honestly, if I understand it correctly, you could've slept with anyone you wanted EXCEPT Jocelyn and Melody would have been OK with it, at least in the short term. You guys weren't steady, and she wasn't jealous of anyone, including me, and you spend WAY more time with me than you do with her."

"Fine," I said testily. "I caused the breakup."

"Relax, Mike. And, in my honest opinion, it was doomed from the start. You just ended it sooner than it would have ended naturally. She was never, ever going to compromise enough for you on the church issue. And you knew that, even before we talked about it when you visited me. You were just in denial."

"Because I decided to simply put off dealing with that for the future?"

"Why did you do that?"

"Melody made a good argument that we could work out a compromise over time. Well, it seemed like a good argument until I realized what her ultimate goal was."

"Besides getting you into bed?"

"You still think she was trying to manipulate me, don't you?"

"I've seen it happen, Mike. And please don't get angry with me for saying this, but isn't that sort of what Jocelyn is doing now? Demanding sex as a price for staying with you?"

"It's more complicated than that," I said. "I think in Jocelyn's mind, me saying 'not now' is the equivalent of saying 'not ever', and I told you my concern."

"Children."

"Yes. I'm not ready to make a decision about that right now because I don't know for sure how I feel about it. I thought I did, but now I'm only sure that I'm not sure. I was really hoping for a few peaceful years by not worrying about things that far in the future, but it looks like that's not going to happen."

"Perhaps Jocelyn going away for a while will help you achieve that goal."

"I don't see how. She's been my best friend forever."

"And she won't be if she's somewhere else for a while?"

"No, but I'm afraid we'll grow apart," I sighed.

"Maybe you both need to grow, and this is how it happens."

"Maybe, but I'm concerned about her."

"That's a different thing from the problem of being apart. You're sad; she sounds like she might be depressed."

"My mom talked to Jocelyn's mom, and I guess Mrs. Mills is going to talk to the counselor who helped Jocelyn after the accident."

"That's good. Are you going to be OK?"

"I have some friends here who are helping."

"Good."

There really wasn't anything else to say, so after a bit of small talk, we said 'goodbye' and hung up.

July 26, 1982, West Monroe, Ohio

"Still in a playful mood?" Amelia asked when we met in the parking lot of the hardware store.

"Yes! But you sure weren't!"

"Janey was really in the groove at the pool! She just loves to tease and joke around like that."

"Is she really that wild? Or was it all just talk?"

"No comment," Amelia said with a smirk. "And you precluded finding out firsthand because you think she's too young, even though she's seventeen."

"Are YOU that wild?" I asked.

"You chose not to find out because I'm dating someone!"

"Maybe 'Truth or Dare' WOULD be a great idea!"

"You precluded THAT because you're afraid of Mindy! And I don't understand that! She's sixteen, so she's legal, and she was looking at you like a hunting cat looks at a mouse!"

"Being 'legal' isn't the question. As I said at the pool, she's still a High School girl, and I'm in college."

Amelia shrugged, "Suit yourself. You can get the answers to your questions if you REALLY want them! And you never know what ELSE might happen!"

"Truthfully, that's probably the last thing I need right now."

"You're a college guy! You should only be worried about three things! Your grades, your supply of booze or weed, and your supply of pussy!"

"And college girls?" I asked. "What do THEY worry about?"

"Grades, booze or weed, and dick!" she laughed.

"I'm not sure that's the best outlook."

"Oh, come on! College is the time when we're supposed to do all that stuff. Then we graduate, get jobs, get married, have kids, and become our parents! If you don't 'let it all hang out' now, when you're in college, then when?"

"Who says you have to live your life that way?"

Amelia shrugged, "Nobody. But once you start working and have a family, you won't have that chance. You'll become a doctor, live in a nice, conservative neighborhood in a nice house, have a pretty wife, 2.2 kids, a dog, a cat, and a relatively calm life. What happens when you realize you missed out on doing some stuff that you can't do because of all of that? A midlife crisis, that's what! My uncle and aunt are divorced because he woke up one day and decided he wanted a sports car, a young girlfriend, and no responsibilities."

"And so he just bailed on all of his commitments?"

"Basically."

"I just don't see that happening with me."

"Maybe not to that extreme, but you could be unhappy and unfulfilled for the rest of your life."

"Because I don't drink and don't fool around?"

"Those were just examples, but they are what college kids do, you know!"

"So you're telling me I should find a way to get a bottle of booze and get you into bed? And your sister?"

"Is that what you want?"

"I suppose it depends."

"On?"

"If I can get you both at the same time!" I grinned.

Amelia laughed and smacked me on the arm.

"I like you when you're goofy, and so does Janey. You're a lot of fun."

"So, no threesome?" I smirked.

"You never know what might happen if you play 'Truth or Dare'."

"I think we need to get to work!"

We both laughed and walked into the building. I marveled at the fact that when I was with Amelia and Janey, I was in a much better mood than I was otherwise. I enjoyed the silly banter and the teasing, and it was helping with my attitude. That didn't change the fact I was sad about the situation with Jocelyn, but it certainly helped take the edge off, as it were.

Amelia and I didn't have a chance to talk during the morning, but we did have lunch together, as Mrs. Orlova included Amelia in our lunches because she was Orthodox. Of course, eating with the Orlovs meant our conversation had to be «культурный» (kulturny). Because our afternoon was busy as well, we didn't talk again until we were walking out to our cars. ("polite")

"Want to hang out tonight?" she asked.

"I'm heading to karate now, and I told my mom I'd be home for dinner. After dinner?"

"Sure. Come on over. We'll both be home all evening."

"OK. It'll probably be around 7:00pm after we eat, and Liz and I do the dishes."

"That's cool. I'll pick up some ice cream and stuff on the way home."

I headed to karate, and after practice, I went home, showered, dressed, then read until dinner. When Mom called us to the table, I let her know I'd be going to Amelia and Janey's house after dinner.

"Good," she said. "That's better than sitting at home and moping."

"Have you spoken to Jocelyn since Saturday?" Dad asked.

"Last night, but I didn't make any progress in getting her to talk to me. Mom's advice was to wait a day or two and try again."

"What's with the Riley girls?"

"They're friends, Dad. Amelia has a boyfriend. Besides," I added casually, "I was thinking about asking Mindy Ellison on a date."

"Nooooo!" Liz whined instantly.

"Wow, Lizzy," I chuckled. "You are SO easy to wind up!"

"Asshole," she spat.

"Elizaveta Petrovna!" Mom said harshly. "A little bit of teasing does NOT warrant the use of such unladylike language! You're grounded for five days!"

"Mom, go easy on her, please," I pleaded. "I said that purposefully to get her goat."

"Which doesn't excuse her use of that word!"

"No, but it's my fault."

"No, it's not, Mike," Mom said firmly. "We are each responsible for how we respond to things that happen. Even if you were goading her, it doesn't justify her response."

"OK," I said, though I didn't entirely agree, and I felt terrible.

"Mike, don't look dejected," Dad said. "Brothers and sisters tease each other. That's normal."

I shook my head, "Liz, I'm sorry."

She glared at me, and I was sure the only thing that kept her storming away from the table was the sure knowledge she'd be in even MORE trouble. We ate in silence, and I could feel the icy chill emanating from my sister. It didn't get any better while we did the dishes, and I half expected to get a knife in the back.

When we finished doing the dishes, I went upstairs to brush my teeth, and Liz was waiting for me when I came out of the bathroom.

"Thanks, asshole," she growled in a low voice.

"I'm sorry, Liz. I didn't mean to get you in trouble."

"But you did!"

"I'm sorry. Look at it this way: it's only five days, so you can still go to the pool with us on Saturday."

"That would be the fifth day!" she protested.

"Not if you count today as the first day!" I grinned.

"She'll never buy it!" Liz objected angrily.

I shrugged, "All you can do is try. I really am sorry."

"Yeah, right," she replied and turned to go back to her room.

There wasn't anything else to do except let her stew, though I was going to talk to Mom one more time. I found her and Dad sitting on the patio drinking lemonade.

"Mom, I think you should cut her some slack," I said.

"I know you do, but I've made my decision. Changing it now would give her license to try to get away with it in the future."

"But I caused it!" I protested.

"What we said before is still true, Mike. But there's a lesson for you to learn as well."

"That I can wind up Liz like nobody's business?" I said with a silly smile.

"That's not QUITE the lesson I was hoping you had learned!"

"That I SHOULD ask Mindy out?"

"Get out of here!" she laughed. "Now you're trying to wind ME up, hoping I'll do or say something that will let you push me to reduce Liz's sentence!"

"Perhaps," I replied.

I went back through the house and out to my car to head for the Rileys' house. We had a good time eating ice cream, playing lawn darts, and talking before I headed home to go to bed.

July 29, 1982, West Monroe, Ohio

"She doesn't want to speak to you," Mrs. Mills replied.

"Is she OK?" I asked.

"I took her to see Doctor Henderson today, but the conversation was private, and because Jocelyn is over eighteen, she has to give me permission to talk to Doctor Henderson. She didn't."

"Do you think it might help if I speak to Doctor Henderson?"

"She can't tell you anything, either."

"I understand, but maybe I can provide some perspective. Or something. This is really bothering me, and I miss seeing and talking to Jocelyn."

"I know, Mike. I'm sorry we pushed both of you so hard on the issue of sleeping together. We shouldn't have done that."

"It wasn't just you, Mrs. Mills. My dad talked to me, too."

"We probably should have left you two to sort things out rather than push you away. I am sorry."

"I accept your apology. But how do I help Jocelyn?"

"I don't know. Give her some time, I guess. She's seeing Doctor Henderson again tomorrow."

"And her decision to leave West Monroe?"

"She's adamant about going to Purdue, and nothing her father or I can say seems to work to dissuade her."

"When should I call again?"

"Try on Sunday afternoon. I'll encourage her to call you and at least say 'hello'."

"Thanks."

We said 'goodbye', and I went to my room and lay on the bed, wondering if I had lost my best friend in the world.

July 30, 1982, West Monroe, Ohio

"Are you in a better mood?" Amelia asked when I arrived at the Rileys' house on Friday.

"Not really. I just want Jocelyn to talk to me, that's all."

"Maybe give her some space?"

"That's what my friend Angie suggested."

"Right now, you're just driving yourself nuts. I'm not saying forget about her, but you're obsessing."

I sighed, "I guess I am."

"Well, maybe the movie will take your mind off it. I heard Debra Winger gets her clothes off!"

"You do know I enjoy movies for the story and characters, right?"

"And seeing a naked chick isn't a plus? I want to see Richard Gere's butt!"

"Just his butt?" I teased.

"If they show his dick, it would get an 'X' rating! I swear, it's a freakin' double standard!"

"And THAT is your criteria for a good movie?" I asked.

"Never seen one in the movies," she laughed. "Like I said, it would be X-rated!"

"You could show us!" Janey teased.

"Right here?" I asked. "I think I'd get arrested! And then we'd miss the movie!"

Both girls laughed, and then we walked out to the car for the drive to Rutherford. We each bought our own tickets and soft drinks but split the cost of a giant tub of popcorn. When we found our seats, I sat between the girls and set the popcorn on my lap so we could share.

About twenty minutes into the movie, I felt Janey's hand on my leg, just above my knee.

"That's not where the popcorn is!" I said quietly.

"Maybe I'll find a Blow Pop!" she teased, sliding her hand a few inches along the inside of my leg.

"And figure out how many licks it takes to get to the center?" I whispered.

"Shh!" came from a woman who sat in front of us.

Janey sat back in her seat but didn't move her hand. I wasn't quite sure what to do. The first thought was to put my hand on HER leg, a bit higher than where she had hers on mine, but I was pretty sure that was a bad idea. I thought about doing nothing, but in the end, I decided to carefully move her hand. I put my hand on hers, grasped it gently, and lifted it, placing it on her side of the armrest.

Janey ate some more popcorn, and perhaps ten minutes later, I felt her hand on my thigh, MUCH higher than before. I took a deep breath and let it out, then grasped her wrist to move her hand. She resisted a bit, and as I moved her hand away, her fingernails brushed my crotch, which resulted in a VERY uncomfortable reaction.

I shifted a bit in my seat, trying not to be obvious, happy that the nearly empty popcorn tub was in my lap, though in the dark theatre, I wasn't sure either girl could notice. I was trying to figure out what Janey was up to while also trying to follow the movie. Nothing more happened during the movie, and when it finished, we each stopped in the restroom. I was out first, which was the norm when girls were involved, and Amelia and Janey came out together.

"So what did you think?" Amelia asked.

"It was pretty good," I said. "A bit corny at the end, but otherwise really good."

"And Debra Winger?" Janey asked.

"Not bad."

"Not bad?" Amelia asked. "That's it? 'Not bad'?"

"Yep. Not bad."

We left the theatre and walked to my car in silence. My reluctance to say anything more about Debra Winger was because of what Janey had done during the love scene. And that made me reticent to say anything further about the obviously very sexy Debra Winger. I felt it was better to just let the incident pass, and if there was a repeat, then talk to Janey. I realized, too, that I shouldn't have teased back about the 'Charms Blow Pop', as that only would have served to encourage her.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.