Surprise Melody Flintkote. Part Two - Cover

Surprise Melody Flintkote. Part Two

Copyright© 2019 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 22

Consul General Kucherenko came and talked to us ... examined, more like ... by the time we met him I had the feeling he knew more about us than we did.

“Your mother did the world a favor,” he said.

“What?” We are triplets ... this time we sounded like soloists in a choir.

“It took long enough for your government to get their lies together for the rest of the world to solve their own problems. That hadn’t happened since December 2, 1823. He was a terrible president,” Consul General Kucherenko said. And as a swift change of subject, “Khrystyna. Poprositʹ druziv na vecheryu. (Ask your friends to dinner.)”

“Tak, tato,” (Yes Daddy)” “Won’t you come to dinner?” she asked.

We weren’t dressed for dinner.

“We must go back to the boat,” I said. “Would you like to come with us? To see the boat?”

“Let me tell the cook.”

The procession through the city was long. Consul General Kucherenko brought Security.

Khrys’ former elementary school was across the street from the Consulate.

“Daddy insists,” she said, “on learning the language. High school is on the other side of the airport.”

Next Fall she would be a first year.

The Flint was too big for the marina nearest the Consulate so we were anchored off a playing ground east of the Aquarium and west of the Ferry Terminal just south of the right hand 35/17 runway of Ataturk airport.

Because we were anchored, the dinghy was on the beach, watched by a crew member who was watched by an armed member of Air Security.

Even though we considered the Flint to be middling small the Consul was impressed by the boat ... and the education of the crew.

“How does he go?” he asked. (Boats are masculine to Ukrainians.)

I picked up the microphone, switched to the Authority frequency and spoke, “Port Control, Port Control, Port Control, Sailing Vessel Flint.”

“Sailing Vessel Flint, Port Control.”

“Have on board Ukrainian Consul and daughter. We’re taking a short cruise. Probably two hours.”

“The Consul General? Fancy company, Flint. You have been assigned your little bay as anchorage for your stay.”

“Thank you, Port Control, Sailing Vessel Flint back to channel 16.”

Sixteen is the universal cruisers channel. A recreational boat can always find help or recipes on 16.

We did what we’ve always done. Hoisted, cleaned and stowed the anchor, motored out of our little anchorage and set sail. We headed south east. The breeze was typical for the Sea of Marmara at that time of day and season.

Flint isn’t as fast as Surprise was but she does alright. Mr. Kucherenko was surprised at 12 knots over the ground in 15 knots of apparent wind. He was also surprised that we ran the boat.

“What does the crew do?” he asked.

“Mostly watch us,” I said.

Jimmy, the crew member who was cleaning the stainless, chuckled. “Best job I ever had,” he said. “The former owner was an ass. Wore a nearly naval uniform, drank and chased bikinis. These guys,” he threw out an all encompassing hand, “Actually know what they’re doing.”

Forty-five minutes of down wind with the spinnaker equates to a couple of hours of tack and tack to return to our little cove. Sure we could have motored ... but Flint is a SAILING vessel

“Thank you very much,” said the Consul.

Dinner was ... Kutya, (porridge), Borshch (soup). Fried fish, Holubtsi (cabbage rolls), Varenyky (with potato, sauerkraut, and prune filling), Cooked beans, Kapusta and peas (sauerkraut and peas), Beets with mushrooms. And Stewed fruit to fill up the corners. It was good ... different ... but good.

He seemed mostly satisfied, as our crew were college age and working. And we were the most of us married or related, he shrugged. “Teen agers,” he said cryptically, as if we knew. “Are you sure you can put up with her?”

Her, being Consul General Kucherenko’s daughter, Khrystyna blushed an embarrassing shade of red.

“I remember how we were,” I said, lying through my teeth. Living aboard a 65 foot custom catamaran demanded cooperation. Living otherwise could mean a very short life ... for everyone. Khrystyna wouldn’t have much time to be petty. If she still wanted to go after we outlined her duties on-board.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.