The Day After the World Ends (Bravo) - Cover

The Day After the World Ends (Bravo)

by Anne N. Mouse

Copyright© 2019 by Anne N. Mouse

Flash Story: More Existential flash!

Tags: Geeks  

“The world ends every day for those who die,” James read the statement at the beginning of the philosophy test. “Defend or refute this statement,” the instructions on the test continued.

“Not the easiest question ever, yet I believe I have an answer,” he thought.

‘This statement is entirely untrue for everyone,’ James wrote, ‘My reasoning on this follows my belief that we all have eternal life, that life being either in heaven or hell.

‘Those who accept the fact of Jesus as Messiah and live accordingly, will eventually live eternally in the presence of their maker in heaven. Those who reject Jesus as Messiah will live in eternal torment in hell.’

James looked up for a moment as a somewhat good looking brunette stood up and had a short conversation with the test proctor. He sometimes wished he had the courage to ask any girls out. But he didn’t so he bent his head to his closing statement.

‘I live my life by the maxim of do good, not feel good. I do not believe all things that can make me feel good are intrinsically bad but I do believe that they may be bad and therefore must be carefully considered before being engaged in. One existential truth of which I’m certain is that protesting rarely improves me personally, and it is my belief that the best way to improve society is to improve myself.

‘I know this may have gone off the rails for the test, but it is my belief that the underlying question for the statement at the beginning of the test is: If this statement is true, how do you live your life. My answer is I improve myself so that the world will be a better place.”

James reread his answer. He was certain he could write more, but should he? No he decided, spending more words didn’t make the world a better place. Indeed far too many people he was aware of spent far too many words while doing far too little personally to improve the situation they complained about.

Pass or fail, he decided, I’ve written enough. He glanced at his watch, it had taken him about seven minutes longer than the brunette, who’s name he had never caught. He wondered shortly if she might be somewhere he could catch up with her, then realized that he could probably use the time better, he would go to the library and sit in the section where those who offered services as tutors sat and see if he could help someone.

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.