A Life in the Service - Cover

A Life in the Service

Copyright© 2019 by Ka Hmnd

Chapter 9: Battlefield

Walking off the shuttle into a carrier with a regular line regiment was almost a relief. The regiment commander had personally requested me and requested I wear my dress uniform. I ignored the bosan’s call to attention and walked across the hanger as everyone stopped what they were doing and came to attention.

I nodded to the senior sergeant checking Id tags and slid mine across. He thumbed them and quickly handed them back, “Thank you Sergeant Major.”

I nodded and turned towards the hatch. My gear was to be brought to my quarters as I headed for the ships command bridge and a meeting with Sergeant Major Drake and Rear Admiral Noble. When I nodded to the guard at the hatch he glanced at me and then his eyes dropped to the ribbons and medals. He snapped to attention, “I am sorry Sergeant Major but the command bridge is off limits.”

I nodded, “let the Admiral or Sergeant Major know I am here.”

He turned to the intercom and a moment later the hatched opened. Sergeant Major Drake was a tall slim grey haired man. He nodded to the guard and waved me in. He looked me up and down, “uncomfortable trip?”

I smiled, “Yeah.”

He laughed and nodded to the admiral across the room, “You got here just in time. We have a major problem on Taxus.”

I looked at him and he shrugged, “we have a rogue world regiment trying to occupy it.”

I nodded and he led me across as the admiral finished talking to three colonels and two light colonels. Four of them left as we approached. I saluted and he grinned, “you are a sight. The way my nephew talks you are made of battlesteel and smoke.”

I smiled, “So they say.”

He laughed and turned to the colonel, “This is Colonel Edward Mortros. You will be working with him.”

I nodded to the colonel who was looking me over curiously. The admiral sighed, “I had hoped we would only have normal routine to break you in but it seems a rogue world has gotten brave.”

I nodded, “The sergeant major told me a little sir.”

He nodded, “Well, get together with Edward. Your battalion is scheduled to lead the regiment.”

I nodded, “We will make it happen sir.”

He dismissed us and I followed the colonel out. He looked at me as we walked, “I was concerned you were a glory hound until I read your jacket.”

I snorted, “Stubborn would probably fit better.”

He grinned, “Well, welcome to the Demons.”

I grinned, “thank you.”

It was a long time before I was able to go to my quarters. I was looking to get out of the dress uniform. I opened the hatch and stepped in to see senior sergeant Morgan laying on my bed. I grinned, “Hey Sam, I was wondering when I would see you.”

She grinned, “I see you still have not learned to duck.”

I stripped and hung up the uniform before turning and walking to the bed, “I am glad you are not in my unit.”

She laughed and pulled me close before kissing me. She caressed my face, “Ready for your real brief?”

I grinned and laid beside her, “Go.”

Sam started a detailed brief on each of the company commanders and top sergeants in my battalion. When she finished I was frowning, “If they are that bad why leave them?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.