For Blood or Money - Cover

For Blood or Money

Copyright© 2019 by Wayzgoose

Chapter 10: A Day in Court

IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE a preliminary hearing, but Jordan was hoping to push the defendant to an early confession, thereby getting an automatic conviction on the embezzlement in exchange for not bringing up the kiddie porn that I’d discovered.

I dropped Maizie off with Mrs. Prior. Maizie apparently speaks the same language as my landlady. I was listening to a pretty intense lecture on how worried Maizie was about how I was taking care of myself when Jordan drove up. I scratched Maizie’s ears and joined Jordan.

We headed for the U.S. District Court on Stewart. It’s the kind of building that you’d think would be corporate headquarters for a next generation dotcom company. It sits on close to three acres and rises 23 stories of glass and concrete into the sky, with a naturalistic monolith in its central courtyard, and a roof that looks like something off The Flying Nun.

It was just nine o’clock when we entered the building and I was already getting antsy—not for the opening arguments, but for what I’d put Riley up to while I was sitting here listening and waiting. We’d set up a new laptop, with the data from the old one that Mr. Oksamma had brought in, and some sophisticated hacking tools. The old computer had an early wireless card in it and must have been used to test the system when they were installing it. I was betting that of the dozen or so passwords we’d found on the device at least one was still valid on the network. One was all we needed.

I’d warned Riley about not being seen or recognized at BKL. Keane got a good look at her in the office, and I didn’t think he’d hesitate to call in reinforcements if he spotted her in his territory. With Keane’s current edginess around the idea of police, I had the image of the hulking Oksamma in the back of my mind.

I sat in the back of the courtroom and waited for Riley’s message as the hearing opened. It wasn’t long before a flash on my screen indicated I had an incoming message from her. She said she was in position and ready to start scanning for the network. She had managed to get into a bathroom right outside the doors of the top floor offices of BKL. We were ready to start hacking. This first part was going to be all up to her.

We’d set the laptop to mimic the old device that Oksamma had brought us, borrowing user names from Simon’s laptop and passwords from the old computer. They were old, but I was betting that the small firm never thought about old equipment as a liability, especially an abandoned laptop back in a storage closet. The passwords collected on the device had shown a pattern. If the current password we had was expired (as was likely) my extrapolating software was likely to be able to suggest the right password for this month. Very careless.

As expected, the password was rejected, but the third try was a hit.

Now it was my turn. I linked into Riley’s laptop through our VPN and began rifling through BKL’s network searching for vulnerabilities and backdoors. There were plenty there. We set up our own user account, backed up all BKL’s accounting data for the past three years, and closed up shop. If I needed back in later, I could now get in through remote access. Before I closed down my computer in the back of the courtroom, however, I gave Riley an encryption key and had her download all Simon Barnett’s and Bradley Keane’s e-mail, transfer it to our servers, and then set up a blind cc of everything that came into their inboxes forwarded to our account. We were going to have a fun afternoon.

By 2:00, having been called into the judge’s chamber and given him my testimony, it was obvious that the case was not going to trial. The attorneys had agreed to a plea bargain when presented with the evidence of child pornography on the defendant’s computer. Technically, the computer belonged to the enterprise and not the defendant. They would gladly give me a new directive to look for anything that violated corporate policy. Faced with the overwhelming evidence, the defendant pled guilty to the embezzlement charges and was remanded over to custody to await maximum sentencing. Even though part of the plea bargain was to make restitution, he’d still be facing five to ten.

Personally, I’d have preferred to nail him on the child porn, but some days you take what you can get.

Jordan dropped me back at my office at about 3:30 and I found Riley at her desk looking smug as she scanned through e-mail messages. I called her into the office to talk about what she’d found. We sat in the comfy chairs facing the window where the rain had resumed pelting down with a fury.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.