Erica Olafson, Adventures of the Tigershark (Vol 7) - Cover

Erica Olafson, Adventures of the Tigershark (Vol 7)

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 18: The Cache

I had been in deep space before and knew how cold space was. Yet standing here on that frozen plane with these bizarre tooth or needle-shaped rock formations, with a bright star just over the horizon giving it all a bluish shine, made it look colder than anything I had seen before and I came off a very cold world myself.

Not that I felt any of it, I wore a disguised Atas battle suit, made to look like a piece of undefinable alien hardware and I also wore Tyron Suit. While he assured me I would need nothing else, he understood the necessity of disguising and hiding assets.

There was actually a sizeable crowd assembled on a ice covered field just before a rugged mountain. The ships about two klicks behind us.

Red Dragon clearly stood out, wearing a genuine Quasimodo. I was glad he got the standard Navy issue and not the Marine corps version complete with Translocator cannon.

Ak Pure explained that the TL canon was only equipped and issued by special permission request to Marine units. While Navy Units could be equipped with the same weapons, the requestor must have TL clearance and file a request reason. Something even a Logistics admiral could not fake.

The rest had suits from a mix of sources.

Lia pointed to a small spaceship that was now visible, it was sitting on his landing gear partially hidden by the stark rock formations.”Isn’t that the Mahgline?”

“That Wutohf bastard must have made it just ahead of us.” The Thauran said.”I did not come that far to be conned out of the prize by a two-bit bioform dealer.” He waved his crew to follow.

We did not have to go far to find Lormoog. The way he was found however was more than alarming. The Wutohf was dead. He could not have been here more than a few hours before us, yet he looked like as if he had been here for millennia.

His protective helmet shattered and the Bioform dealer frozen solid on the spot.

Sandovahl was the first who pulled his weapon while looking around. “Who or what killed that bastard?”


Krabbel, Circuit, Warner and Shaka had reached the ancient satellite construct in a geostationary orbit around Hidden Hill.

Circuit looked at his scanner and said.”I am detecting some minute energy sources, so faint they can’t be much more than perhaps a light element or something. No life form readings.”

Krabbel who truly looked quite disturbingly frightful in his version of an Atlas suit sounded much less confident than usual.”No lifeform scan would reveal you, Circuit. Maybe there are powerful battle robots hiding.”

“You can go back to the Tigershark, Warner suggested. Elfi and Mao can use the company.” Shaka said.

“Wasn’t it you who begged the Captain to come along for this EVA mission?”Circuit asked. And Warner said.”If I would not know better, I’d say Lt. Krabbel is afraid of this dead piece of junk.”

“I am not afraid, I just don’t think we should rely on sensors alone.”

Circuit had found a hatch and brushed his hand over a space dust covered panel.”And what should we use instead?”

Warner giggled.”We could send our Archa first to make sure there aren’t any space monsters hidden. If they are they are going to return their space monster membership card seeing you coming, Sir.”

Krabbel made a high pitched huffing sound.”The Captain is right, there is no respect for Senior officers among our crew.”

Circuit studied the panel and then with force opened another one, revealing a manual air lock lever.”The door servos have no juice at all, but the pictogram was straightforward. There is a hatch pump.”

The X101 engineer pulled the lever and started yanking it back and forth. While he did that he said.”No worries Krabbel, I am going to send in a drone first.”

Warner added.”Besides, I think you are the most beloved crew member of all.”

“No way, the Captain is!”

“She isn’t crew.”

“You think everyone likes me?”

“Except during times when they serve ice cream, I am sure.”

And Shaka laughed.”Of course that Nuflug fly, hiding in the pantry isn’t too fond of you.”

“We have a Nuflug fly in our stasis freezers?”

While the access hatch slowly opened, Circuit shook his head.”Here we are, in space floating next to a very old technological artifact and what are we discussing?” Circuit only wore a propulsion pack and a tool pack, he had no need for a space suit.

The hatch was open and Circuit released a swarm of scout drones and of course a large number of his nanites.

Krabbel didn’t lose a beat.”We are discussing Nuflug flies, probably some logistics nerd saw a Archa listed on the crew manifest and ordered Nuflug. I haven’t eaten a Nuflug since I left Archa for the Academy and don’t miss it one bit.”

“Would it not be more correct if you say you miss just one bite?” Warner asked while he looked on the drone read out of Circuit.

While the banter continued and Shaka said something about the eating habit of Archas, Circuit slipped past the opening while he said.”This is an airlock and there is a sealing inner door. The drones did not make much progress, but my nanites have advanced and replicating. Nothing even remotely animated has been encountered so far.”

The airlock was not big enough for all of them, so Krabbel and Shaka decided to inspect the thing more closely from the outside.

Circuit closed the outer door and said.”There is some sleeping power, but not enough to run the pumps, it appears there is a nitrogen-oxygen atmosphere in the main body.”


Everyone acted nervous and now pretty much all the pirates had their weapons drawn. My crew was alert but did not appear too concerned. Shea and Narth examined the dead Wutohf.

Narth spoke to me in his silent way.”The Wutohf was killed by psionic means.”

“That is somewhat unsettling. I know you have killed this way, would that mean there is a sentient entity here with psionic abilities?”

“I do not sense an active mind, which makes this dead individual a mystery. However, the Leedei, the Kermac, and the Saresii have managed to harness Psions via technical means. It is conceivable that the Seenians or whoever created this library have similar means.”

While Narth was talking to me, Circuit called.”Captain, we are inside the mirror satellite. I have connected a power cube and we should be able to fire the thing up. Warner has just figured out the focus of the mirror beam, it is about two hundred meters from your location.”

Two of Sandovahl’s crew had approached the ice-covered mountainside. We all could see the outlines of a door or gateway below a thick layer of semi-transparent ice.

Swybar made a impatient gesture. “We never figure out what killed Lormoog standing out here, and we never get to the next part of this cursed quest if we don’t advance.”

Lia said.”I guess we have to cut that ice away so Crimson can use his key.”

That comment caused Sandovahl and two of his crew aim their weapons at that door and fired.

The moment they did, all three helmets exploded from the inside and all three were instantly killed. Their corpses started to freeze solid.

This sudden event caused Swybar and several others to throw themselves to the ground in an attempt to find cover.

Narth said.”There is an artificial psion projector mounted above the door, and behind the ice. Physical cover will not be effective. Our suits have sufficient TransDim shields but not activated.”

Tyron almost at the same time told me virtually the same thing.”There is a Seenian Mind Spear projector mounted above that door. I can protect you from such an attack.”

Crimson held up the black cube, “This was given to me as the key, but I have no instructions as how to use it.”

Lia and Swybar had very disturbed faces behind their helmets. It was her who said.”How do we get inside then? Apparently whoever is here does not want us to open the door.”

Shea said.”This might not be the actual library door, but a barrier installed much later. All the legends and reports we have speak of a sealed library. It is logical to assume that the act of sealing and thus denying access was done after the library was established.”

Swybar’s voice dripped with sarcasm.”You are soo smart, lackey. But not smart enough to tell us what killed these men and how to get inside!”

I swatted the former admiral with the augmented arm of my suit and said while he was crushing into an ice-covered rock.”I had about enough of you, Thauran. Insult me or any one of my crew ever again and you join Sandovahl right here!”

His hand darted to his weapon, but he stopped short of pulling it, obviously afraid that his action might cause his head to explode.”You pay for that Black Velvet!”

Crimson yelled.”Quit that!”

I motioned my friends to step back and said.”Anyone not wanting a serious sunburn better step back a few hundred meters.”

Most but not all followed my advice then I said into my comm unit.”Circuit can you fire up that satellite?”

“We will try it right now.”

“Make sure you have your TransDim shields activated just in case.”

Moments later a new bright star flashed into existence and a bright visible beam of about twenty meters in diameter hit the mountainside with the ice-covered door in its center. Four pirates, three of Sandovahl’s and one of Lia’s crew were hit by the massive microwave and infrared energy beam and baked alive inside their suits, so fast their shields came on after they were cooked.

The beam instantly liquefied the thick sheet of ice covering the door.

“By the Blessed Blue Virgin!” Swybar still leaning against the rock he impacted on said.

Lia lowered the visor of her helmet.”This bit ... she has engineers in that piece of space junk.”

“Indeed I do. Crimson we are even now. As for the rest of you, good riddance.”

The solid door was now fully exposed and split in three parts that slowly retracted into the frame.

Shea said.”Internal energy producing equipment has increased by 67 percent.”

Swybar got up, the Quasimodo he was wearing had prevented him from any serious harm and the suit itself was not damaged.

“I still see this quest to its end.”

He stomped past everyone and went inside, followed by Crimson and Lia.

The Jooltar was much more reluctant and only followed after us.

The door sealed a natural passage or tunnel that had been expanded and the footpath leveled. There were regular light elements sheading bluish light on that path.

After about three thousand meters or so, the slightly declining path expanded into a large cavern. Here liquid streams of water cascaded down rock and ice walls. The ambient temperature was considerably warmer than on the surface, hovering just around zero on the c scale.

Opposite to where we entered the cavern was a rock wall, a stone facade, and a large rectangular door.

Swybar and Crimson were already there and thanks to my suit enhanced vision, I could see the Oghr putting his cube like thing into a receptacle of the same shape.

The huge stone door rolled aside and lights came one inside.


It was a library alright. Sealed in a clear material, were books, scrolls, stacks of paper, crates filled with Ithomarian data spheres and shelves upon shelved with things and objects I assumed were the data media storage devices of a thousand cultures or more.

Shea whispered to me.”They are right, this is the real treasure.”

Har-Hi agreed.”It is imperative we secure this place for the Union.”

Crimson and the others had no eyes for the shelves and documents but rushed to a central raised platform with a glowing humanoid form hovering over a metal plate, apparently a projection.

Swybar loudly addressed it.”We are Seekers and came to find the Anagoge.”

It took a moment and the glowing only vaguely defined human being responded.”You do not need to seek an Anagoge any further. For I am the one deciding upon the worthiness of the Children.”

Lia said.”There are no more steps? Are we worthy?”

“All that came before me will receive the location of the Inheritance.”

A new projection established itself showing a star map and a highlighted star system. The map showed Hidden Hill and other identifiable markers. The location was clear and easy to understand for everyone with even the most basic navigation skill.

Swybar was already turning and then stopped.”This is it? This is the location of the Seenian inheritance?”

“Yes Seeker, this is the location.”


With the exception of the Mind Spear projector above the entrance, there was nothing stopping us or presenting any form of danger. The bluish humanoid shape was indeed a projection and it repeated itself.

Some things didn’t add up. To Shea I said.”We will launch a Data drone towards the Golden Bazaar. There are Union assets to secure this place. I have a feeling our guests weren’t as forthcoming about this library. There wasn’t another Anagoge and that projection didn’t do any judging either.”

She agreed.”Narth and I came to the same conclusion, there is either still more to come or our guests did not know as much as they thought they knew.”

“As it may be, if that location is indeed the depot we are after. We arrest or destroy the rest of the pirates and clip the Dragon’s wings. I personally want to see that murdering SOB on the business end of an executioners robe and this time I like to be there to make sure he is indeed dead.”

“He is already judged and executed, we can do that in our hangar,” Har-Hi said.

“And then we fly to Thana Shoo, my friend.”

I sat down in my command chair.”Shaka, follow them if you please.”


The directions we received at the sealed library led us to an old star system at the outskirts of the Scutum-Centaurus arm. Star systems in these outer regions were in general old systems. It was outside the galactic habitable zone. In astrobiology and planetary astrophysics, the galactic habitable zone is the region of a galaxy in which life might most likely develop. More specifically, the concept of a galactic habitable zone incorporates various factors, such as metallicity and the rate of major catastrophes such as supernovae, to calculate which regions of the galaxy are more likely to form terrestrial planets, initially develop simple life, and provide a suitable environment for this life to evolve and advance.

I was a little proud of myself for recalling that from academy classes. It was quite a distance from Hidden Hill, the fuel reserves of our special friends were near the end. There was no sentient activity on our sensor boards for the last two weeks, neither space flight nor any sort of known FTL communication.

I had spent much time with Kai-Do, he reminded me in many ways of master Alameda. He was however many times friendlier and less grumpy. While I knew Har-Hi wanted to train with him as well, it was his stubborn Dai pride that did not let him openly associate with a declared Okthi.

Kai Do had given me a genuine Assassin suit and gifted Har-Hi with one as well, but my Dai friend would not wear it, even though he secretly admired it. Kai-Do quickly uncovered my secret learning similar techniques from the Avenging Angels of the Sojo order and deepened my knowledge and skills in this rather devious and disgustingly dishonest way of killing.

My Nilfeheim raised Viking warrior soul understood Har-Hi quite well, but my female side embraced them out of a sense of necessity, as a way to equalize raw muscle strength.

I was still wearing the female version of the black and purple Mar-Do assassin suit when I stepped on the bridge.

We were about to drop out of Quasi.

Har-Hi sitting in the command chair got up and gave me a long gaze.”I hate to say that, but that suit looks terrific on you.”

“I think the purple leather panels are placed with great thought indeed and strike a perfect balance with the black.”

Elfi grinned.”Yeah, you can say it that way, but I think Kai-Do had other rather male ideas as he designed this suit.”

“Princess!” I exclaimed.”We are at the potential end of our quest and you say things like that.”

Mao also grinned.”I bet Shea might ask you to keep it on...”

“That does it, I am going to change and you better have detailed reports when I am back.”


We entered the yet unnamed system and as we approached the third planet, the Red Dragon hailed us.”This is it, folks. This is the planet at the end of the coordinates we received at Hidden Hill. This also matches the data that has been unlocked in my mind. Somewhere down there is enough tech and knowledge to conquer the Galaxy. I will be its Emperor and you all will have important roles.

The fighting is over.”

The Thauran disconnected and he and the others landed ahead of us.

Shea said.” On the surface of the planet is a singular, very faint artificial energy signature. Very alien and neither Seenian nor anything I have seen.

There appear to be ruins of cities and infrastructure of an advanced civilization.”

“Anything alive?”

“Yes but nothing shows sentient neural patterns. Lots of flora.”

“Narth anything thinking down there?”

“No not even on primitive animal levels.”

I sighed.”We better get down there as well, or the Dragon and his goons secure it before we have a chance.” I straightened in my seat.”Tyron, Cateria do you sense or feel anything about this place?”

Cateria who had silently appeared shook her head. “SHIP called me up, but to me, it looks just like any other planet from space. Even during my life as a Seenian, I have never been to this part of the Galaxy.”

Tyron as always right behind me said.”If that is the place of a Seenian Depot, they either have shields that surpass my abilities to detect or everything is deactivated and decayed.

Somewhere inside I shared a similar feeling. Aloud I said.

“I guess we better do go down there we don’t find out more from space. Sound General Quarters. Shaka get us down and a good distance and out of sight from the others. So we can investigate those energy signatures and make our own conclusions.”


We landed on a plain covered with hip-high grass and some bushes. These plants looked much more like plants I know, than those black stalks on Carpet. There was a large lake and the Pirates were busy on its opposite shore, about 12 clicks away to the West. To the north the remains of a once large city, but only a few buildings remained standing, most was overgrown by grass and brush. Shea confirmed that the central building was the source of a weak energy signature she had detected from orbit. Shea said. “It is less than that of a flashlight in terms of energy output, but it has TransDim characteristics.”

Har-Hi glanced at his console. “The most life form activity comes from the lake, looks like it is teeming with fish. There are insect-sized life forms in the ground and in the air. Nothing but the ruins indicate that this is supposed to be the cache of Seenian tech.”

“Maybe it is hidden in some cave or underground?” I suggested. “Our pirate friends are all over the place already.”

I called Kilkam and Melissa to the bridge and gestured towards the main viewport.”Kilkam you wanted to see the end of the Quest, according to the projection in the sealed library this is it.”

“Do you think this is it?”

“No, but why would the thing in the library lie?”

“I do not if it has or not. Neither of those approaching that projection asked it who it was. If I understand correctly it told you.’You do not need to seek for an Anagoge any further. For I am the one deciding upon the worthiness of the Children.’ Since it told you not to seek for an Anagoge and declares itself to be a judge, which is the declared role of the Anagoges, I would argue that it either was an Anagoge we did not know off or it was someone pretending to be an Anagoge.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.