Money Well Spent - Cover

Money Well Spent

Copyright© 2018 by qhml1

Chapter 21

I woke up in the hospital. I was still alive because the shotgun had been loaded with number eight shot and not 00 buckshot. Jen’s mom and Linds were in the room, both fast asleep in their chairs. I tried to talk and ended up croaking. It woke Linds up and she punched Mom.

“He’s awake! Get the others!”

Soon I had a room full of people, all crying and laughing, glad to see me alive. My thoughts went to how I had last seen Jen, and I tried to get up. Bells and whistled went off, and soon there were two nurses and a doctor in the mix. They were all trying to hold me down, and I kept calling for Jen. Lindsey finally got her hands on my head and looked me in the eye.

Dean! Dean! Listen to me honey. Jen is fine! Do you hear me? She’s all right!””

I finally relaxed, although one nurse hovered for awhile. “Where is she? Why isn’t she here?”

“She’s been a little busy, hon,” said her mother, with tears in her eyes. “The punch to the stomach sent her into early labor. Your daughter decided she needed to come out and see what the fuss was about. They’re resting now.”

“But she was way early!”

“Only about three weeks. She’s fine, mommy is fine, now daddy needs to settle down. You’ll get to see them both soon, I promise. It’s three in the morning or I’d take you now.”

I relaxed for a moment before it occurred to me. “Is everyone else all right?”

“No, you and Jen are not the only ones in our family staying in Hotel Antiseptic. Christy got hit, Shaggy got hit, nothing major but they had to have shot removed and they’re resting right now. You’ll see them tomorrow.”

“How’s Gram?”

The room got quiet, and I knew. Fat, slow tears started rolling down my cheeks. This was so wrong! She deserved to go quietly, among family who loved her and rejoiced in her long life, not gunned down by a rabid druggie. Soon they were all crying.

“She caught most of one barrel, honey. If it’s any consolation, death was instant, so she didn’t suffer.” Linds was leaning over me, crying into my chest. She was the only grandma she had ever had. I hugged her with the arm that wasn’t hooked into anything, and shared her grief.

We finally calmed down, and I started flagging. I barely remember them leaving as I drifted off.

The next afternoon Linds and Mom wheeled me to Jen’s room, where despite the fussing I stood, leaning over and embracing the love of my life. She cried for a little before smiling. “I’ve got someone here who wants to meet you, Daddy. Give your daughter a kiss.”

I felt like I might faint, so I sat back down. Linds stood over me, a tiny bundle in her arms. I was shaking so bad I thought I might drop her, but I had to have her in my arms. I looked into the tiny face, marveling at the sight of my immortality. Miss Agnes would be very proud. I commented on her size, and Jen assured me she would grow very quickly, and in no time I would be chasing her around the house.

I stayed until the nurses insisted I go back to my bed. I managed to see Shaggy and Christy before I did, they weren’t hit nearly as hard and would be discharged tomorrow. Shaggy’s daughters were there, along with Harriet and her little man, hovering over him, and they immediately hugged me, crying as they thanked me for saving their Daddy’s life. It was kind of embarrassing.

Jim and their soon to be adopted daughter were with Christy, and I immediately had another child hugging and thanking me. “Don’t sell your mother short, honey. She did as much saving everyone as me. Your Mom is a hero, baby.”

Jim just gripped my hand so hard it hurt, his eyes speaking volumes.

I made another stop in the hospital two days later, on the way to Gram’s funeral. She was strapped to the bed, both hands in cuffs. Gwen had survived, the bulletproof vest she was wearing stopping three of my bullets. She had a nasty gash across her cheek from another bullet, and her arm was in a cast, broken by the last. They gave her just enough drugs to keep her calm, but not enough to get her high, and she was crashing, lying in a puddle of rank sweat, dirty looking hair hanging in clumps. Her eyes got wide when she recognized me and she tried to speak.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.