No Contest Book 2: Hard Fought 1991-93 - Cover

No Contest Book 2: Hard Fought 1991-93

Copyright© 2018 by Maxicue

Chapter 7

Erotica Sex Story: Chapter 7 - Ten years older. And wiser? Both Joe and Eddie have had great success. With Joe with women as well, and an unorthodox family comes out of it. But success does not necessarily generate happiness. Though it can help make it easier to find it and sustain it, just being a thinking and feeling human can get in the way.

Caution: This Erotica Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   BiSexual   Group Sex   Orgy   Polygamy/Polyamory   Interracial  

Joe woke alone in bed, hearing giggles and splashes from the bathroom. A glance at the clock informed him he’d slept for a couple hours. Walking naked to the source of the sounds, he saw two very different women share a bath. One tall and lean, dark hair, her skin the color of coffee and cream, her smallish round breasts hovering above the suds of the bubble bath. The other pale, reddish blonde, her much fuller breasts on a thicker body, shorter body resting on those suds, the pink nipples peeking out. They both grinned at him, looking impish. Childish.

“No room, husband,” the pale skin one exclaimed.

“Having fun, girls?” Joe chuckled, settling onto the covered commode. Then realizing he needed to use it, he asked, “Mind if I piss?”

“You sure piss can come out of that?” the mocha skin one asked with a chuckle.

He’d come in with morning wood and it only got stiffer at the sight.

“My bladder’s determined,” he said, and raised the lid and the butt rest. Piss took a few seconds to come out, with an audience giggling, but eventually the lean stream of yellow liquid poured forth and created a continuous splash in the toilet.

“Well done,” his audience applauded. He waited to bow until he finished.

After washing his hands, he knelt by the tub and grabbed a wash cloth. He diligently washed two of his favorite sets of breasts. “You know, it’s our back we can’t reach,” Shawna pointed out after he finished one of her breasts and went for her other.

“Shush girl,” said Cheryl. “He still has mine.”

Joe leaned down and suckled Shawna’s near black nipples before moving his attention to his wife.

“So,” said Cheryl, within a quiet moan, “What’s happening with your idiot genius?”

“He didn’t confess when I threatened castration,” Shawna answered. “Probably thinking I’d be too squeamish. So I took the less bloody route and offered a gesture of friendship interviewing the young woman. After all who better to advise her than one who’d already gone through it? Even then, I had to actually call my secretary friend at the Physics office to get information on the young woman before he decided to man up.

“I wanted to give him one last chance. To see if there would be any joy in my homecoming, from either Hansy or Heather. It started with hugs and kisses and ended with perfunctory sex. The next morning was the morning to confront. By the way, Heather finally got pregnant. It was her morning sickness that left just the two of us in bed. I knew it had to do with her as well, but he’s my husband, and he started it.”

Joe had finally finished polishing Cheryl’s tits and actually started washing backs.

“You still plan to talk to this Chinese girl?” he asked.

“Of course. If nothing else, to confirm his lies. I don’t trust him anymore, which sucks.”

“He told you she seduced him like you did,” said Cheryl.

“Yep. But I just can’t imagine it. Unless she’s some hot oriental escort or something, paying her way by seducing and fucking men. You know, using cocks as ladder rungs or some shit, because that’s her thing. No, I see some sweet shy girl. Probably virginal, before Hansy got his hands on and in her. Most likely naïve about at least relationships. I mean she has to be pretty much top of her class to get the intern job, so you know she’s brilliant. I suppose she could play me.”

“She could try,” Joe said.

“You know Joe, I’m still that shy silly stooped girl you and Eddie seemed to have given a shot of confidence. Just enough to go after what I want, because I saw in your eyes, and Cheryl’s eyes, that I am a beautiful and sexy woman. And each time I dared to put aside my self-consciousness and go for what I desire, with Hans and Heather or anyone, it confirmed my hopes while also surprising the shit out of me. But I don’t know if I’ll be able to corner someone and get the truth out of them or worm my way through whatever clever deceits they may use to disguise their true character or intent. I think I’d fold if they’re stronger or cleverer. I’d rather take them at face value.”

“You think Hans may be telling the truth?” Cheryl asked skeptically.

“I just don’t know, Cheryl. If she’s how I imagine her to be, in her head like I was, and shy and retiring, and pretty without knowing she’s pretty, after getting over the shock of meeting the girl who’s become my replacement for both my lovers, I have a feeling I might actually like her.”

“So use that to turn the tables,” Cheryl suggested.

“But what if she really is a manipulative bitch, and I’m playing into her hands? And there’s always this,” Shawna added, rubbing her belly. “She may not feel the same as you do, Joe. Thinking pregnant women are sexy,” she chuckled.

“What if you bring Esther along?” Joe offered. “If anyone could corner someone into confessing, it’d be her.”

“Or you,” Shawna returned. “You’ve always been good at reading women.”

“Or both,” Cheryl giggled. “I can’t imagine anyone escaping the scrutiny of you two.”

“Would you?” Shawna sounded excited. “And would you ask Essie? If nothing else, it would be moral support.”

“Of course.”

“Great!” she stood, in all her rounded beauty.

“Where are you going?” Cheryl asked her, amused.

“To call that bitch!”

“Maybe a shower first?”

“Okay,” Shawna chuckled.

Cheryl pulled the plug, and Joe joined them, lifting the shower nozzle from its holder, making it portable. While he washed off the suds, the girls giggled, lowered, and took turns sucking his cock. Cheryl finished him in her inimitable way, and shared it with Shawna. Joe waited until they swallowed before kissing them.

After they dried and dressed, Shawna sat on the bed near the extension. “You’re going to call her now?” Cheryl asked.

“Office hours, for her too,” said Shawna. “She might even be with my asshole husband.”

“When do you plan to meet her?” Joe asked.

“I thought we could pick her up. Have dinner. She’s fucking my husband, so she’ll at least give me that. Say five-thirty?”

“We’ll go in style,” Joe laughed and went up to Moe’s office. Moe had a second line. He called Trevor’s hotel and got Trevor, who agreed to pick them up. “Are you just hanging in your room?” Joe asked him.

“Yeah.”

“It’ll work out.”

“I hope so. We’re working on it. Thanks.”

“Sure.”

After having lunch, with Rachel and Eddie joining them, both looking content to be with each other, enough for Rachel to keep mostly quiet while Eddie and Shawna did their thing, which involved Shawna’s marital problems at a slightly deeper level, Joe and Cheryl went up to their respective offices, with Shawna sitting with Cheryl. Cheryl’s uncanny ability to work and chat remained.

At one point Cheryl shouted loud enough to be heard in the adjoining office, “When do you plan on meeting with your publisher?”

Instead of shouting back, Joe walked the few steps to Cheryl’s open door. “Anytime actually.”

“How about tomorrow?”

“Joanne’s coming, but she won’t be in until late.”

“Have you talked to her about this?”

“Shit!”

The ladies laughed.

Even though Joanne seemed to consider herself less and less of an agent for Joe, Joe didn’t. He always discussed his books, and the timing of chapters and completion with her. She set up the meetings at his publisher, even though most of the time she wasn’t there. Cheryl represented her in a way, and had the extra benefit of being familiar with contracts, especially Joe’s. He stepped back into his office to call her.

“Hey,” Joanne said, sounding happy to hear Joe’s voice.

“Shit, I’m sorry Joanne.”

“What happened?” She sounded worried.

“No, it’s nothing bad.”

“Jeez.”

“Sorry.”

“Joe!”

“Right. Not being myself I guess.” He sighed. “Okay. Eddie told me he’s fine if we release my first book.”

“He said that?”

“Yeah. He actually encouraged it. And since my new one looks like it may take some time, and I’m actually starting to rethink it...”

“If he’s good with it, I am too.”

“Great. And...”

“moms.”

“Yeah. Uhm, Eddie...”

“Eddie again,” Joanne chuckled.

“Quiet Joanne.”

“Yes Joe.”

“He actually wants me to play bass with him again.”

“Hunh. Starting over.”

“That’s what I got too.”

“Not my business anymore.”

“I know. I know you’re fine with that.”

“I am. It’s like this building that’s been bearing down on me just poof, went away.”

“Yeah.”

“So you’re best friends again.”

“Working on it.”

“I think that’s good, Joe.”

“Me too. So anyway. moms. He thinks I should include the abuse. As a sort of revenge. I’ve been working with it. And I think it’ll make the book a lot more powerful.”

“How much more fictionalized can you make it?”

“A lot of it is different from reality.”

“But there’s still connections.”

“I’ll think about it.”

“So Eddie’s recommendations. Publishing the first book. Reworking and publishing the second book. It sounds like he’s become your advisor.”

“It does. But I really did need his permission. Maybe for both books. And he’s not the only one who’s told me moms has some of my best writing.”

“You know I love Eddie.”

“I know.”

“And we both know how smart he is, even if not a lot of other people know.”

“Yeah,” Joe chuckled.

She paused for a bit. “It really is like you guys are starting over.”

“Best friends. Yeah. And the advice is actually going both ways.”

“You really think Rachel is a sane choice?”

Joe laughed. “I got her to use Sally.”

“Good.”

“And ... this thing with Trevor.”

“You actually think you can salvage that monkey wrench?”

“Trevor is actually here in New York. They spent last night together. Just talking. With Shawna as a sort of mediator.”

“Wow.”

“It was completely crazy what you did Joanne. You definitely went too far.”

“You think I don’t know that?”

“Oh I know you do. But thing is, despite how over the top you went, it might be the best thing that’s happened to Eddie. He’s found love, and a level of comfort he’s never had.”

“Since you.”

“What do you mean?”

“Since you were best friends. I think if you weren’t who you are, if you weren’t completely heterosexual, Eddie would have wanted it to be more than just platonic.”

“Even back then?”

“Maybe.”

“You know how weird it is for me to think of that.”

“I do. Nevertheless. And maybe he just thought about it and pushed it aside, because...”

“It probably would have ended our friendship.”

“Yeah.”

“And now he’s got Trevor,” Joe said, “if they work it out and Rache the Bache doesn’t get in the way. She’s a complete homophobe.”

“That won’t help.”

“I’m working on it. On her.”

“I don’t think I want to know how.”

“No you don’t.”

“Shit Joe.”

“I know.”

“But it sounds like he needs you and Trevor. He needs his best friend and his lover. Trevor doesn’t strike me as a genius.”

“Me either,” Joe laughed. “But he’s actually a pretty sweet guy.”

“I know.”

“You met him?”

“Of course. My little, and expensive, band of Eddie protectors knew about Eddie’s ... uh ... fantasy, and found...”

“My look-a-like.”

“Yeah. In some gay porn. Found out he gets paid as a gay escort. It was too perfect. But I had to vet him. I wouldn’t have gone through with it if he was an asshole, so to speak.”

“I think Eddie’s the asshole so to speak.”

“Yeah,” she chuckled. “I just never imagined the relationship would have legs.”

“It definitely does. And it’s weird Trevor being a cowboy, but I truly believe he loves Eddie.”

“Yeah. I hired him for a shitload of money. But...”

“He decided he didn’t want to get paid for it.”

“He still gets paid. And well. As Eddie’s driver. But not like he was.”

“He insisted.”

“Yeah. And I guess he’s supposedly one of the more expensive escorts, maybe in the world.”

“But not anymore. Eddie told me a john brought them here on a private jet. Some famous jock supposedly who’s not supposed to be gay. Eddie had to convince Trevor to fuck the guy. And I imagine the guy was pretty scary. He wanted Eddie too, but Trevor defended him.”

“True love.”

“Yeah.”

They laughed.

“I want to see the writing,” said Joanne.

“No Contest is done.”

“Not going to work on it?”

“I’ve worked it to death. Any more, and it won’t get better.”

“It’s definitely ready.”

“Yeah.”

“I want to see moms.”

“And you will.”

“When are you bringing these gifts to your publisher?”

“Cheryl thinks tomorrow.”

Joanne laughed. “Fine. I’ll call Rich. Any time?”

“Yeah. Except Scott.”

“Scott’s free tomorrow!” Joe heard from Cheryl.

“Anytime,” Joe chuckled.

“They’re going to shit.”

“I know.”

“I wish I could be there.”

“Me too.”

“Maybe I can get an early flight.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah. So the complete No Contest.”

“And a couple chapters from moms.”

“One’s I’ve seen?”

“Yes Joanne.”

“Hey, you said you still need me.”

“I’ll always need you. Just like you’ll always need me.”

“Yes Joe.”

They left it at that. They knew they loved each other. Knew without saying.

As usual, work distracted him from the time when his family returned home. Rhonda pulled him out of it. “Hi Daddy.”

“Already home?”

She giggled. He closed up his work and lifted her for a hug and a kiss on her cheek. They went hand in hand to the elevator, which brought them to the quiet chaos of his home life. Which included Mal and Nigel asking Shawna searching and deep philosophical questions only kids would ask. Cheryl was in the kitchen deciding on dinner.

“Problem?” he asked.

“With you and Essie going out I thought something simple. But there’s always Moe.”

“Emergency rations then,” he chuckled. Kneeling he pulled open the freezer drawer and found the sealed package of fish fillets buried deep. Ones they’d discovered years before actually tasted good. It had become a bit too common to the point they started avoiding it.

“Of course,” Cheryl grinned. “But they taste better on fresh sourdough rolls.”

They had a favorite baker a few blocks northwest. Known for their adventurous cake donuts, Moe had spotted an older lady ordering bread. A local it seemed since she and the girl behind the counter chatted like friends. So Moe wisely asked for the woman’s advice. Steered towards boules of rosemary and garlic and sourdough, she bought one of each and saw the sourdough rolls. The half dozen she bought became the go to rolls for the breaded oval whitefish.

“I’ll go,” Joe volunteered.

“I think you have a date,” Cheryl chuckled, kissing him.

“Oh. Right.”

Just then, Essie bounced in, hugging and kissing each of them, positively giddy.

“I take it it went well,” Joe laughed.

“Oh man! I don’t know if well is the proper adverb.”

“Controversial.”

“Confrontational! But it turned out awesome. Like those performance pieces you used to take me to a few years back. Getting the audience really involved. Having my classmates read arguments really worked! And then the confrontations when things got more improvisational and maybe a little out of hand. But I managed to steer things back, making the arguments part of the presentation. You know, how you explained the way those performance pieces worked because they were inclusive. Like including a baby crying or an outside siren as part of it. I want to do the series like that.”

“What series?” Cheryl asked.

“The seven deadly sins.”

“Esther’s arguing for,” Joe chuckled.

“You think maybe you could help me write it and maybe direct it?” Essie asked him.

“I don’t know.”

“Please?”

“What kind of argument is that?”

“You mean my pretty pout and batting eyes don’t work?” Essie pouted. “Okay, I know you’re writing something for Charlie.”

“I never said...”

“You are aren’t you?”

“It’s been on my mind,” Joe confessed.

“Morpheus?” Cheryl asked.

“Yeah.”

Joe had continued writing plays. He’d been using a nom de plume, Saul Loman, since he continued wanting to separate his playwriting from his novel writing, but his fame as a novelist outed him. Nevertheless he continued, a yearly event following a dance by Constance, working on them in late winter and presenting them in spring. Morpheus’s season just being the two events, Joe directing both, residing at Joanne’s or Constance’s during that time of the year. Another reason his chances at a full professorship remained doubtful. He took the semester off every year. Returning to Hunter for their annual summer workshop.

“I thought Constance decided to quit,” Cheryl pointed out.

“Aunt Constance always decides to quit,” Essie laughed.

“She’s a little more convinced of it this time,” said Joe. “But I was thinking of just doing one show. Kind of a musical extravaganza, like the old operas used to be, combining everything.”

“So she’d just choreograph like in Dreamscapes?” Cheryl asked.

“Yeah. I was thinking of something like the Little Prince. Some strange boy/man coming into a young man’s life and showing him the world from this unique perspective, everything leading him back home or something. It’s barely a notion, but I do want to feature Charlie. Singing. Dancing. Acting.”

“Charlie’s always wanted to do things on his own,” said Essie, “Not use you as an advantage or something. Prove he could get roles from his talent alone I guess. I never understood the point.”

“So I just have to make it irresistible,” Joe grinned. “But I’d also promise him it would be a onetime thing. And a crowning finale for Morpheus. Hopefully.”

“If anyone can do it, you can, Uncle Joe.”

“Thanks.”

“So Uncle Eddie would be involved.”

“I’ll ask him.”

“And he’ll say yes,” said Cheryl.

“Speaking of Eddie...”

“Downstairs with your son.”

“Jamming?” Joe grinned.

“Yeah.”

“Cool.”

Moe came in. More hugs and kisses. “I’m going to head out to buy some sourdough rolls,” said Cheryl.

“I’m craving one of their chocolate walnut cinnamon donuts,” said Moe.

“I’ll get a mixed dozen.”

After Cheryl scampered out, Moe asked, “So?”

“Right,” said Joe. “It seems like a whole nother day since this morning. Eddie was with Trevor, but nothing happened. He brought in Shawna.”

“I saw her.”

“Yeah. Speaking of which,” he shifted attention to Essie, “we have a date this evening, Esther.”

“Really?” she bounced on her tip toes.

“It’s not like that,” Joe laughed.

“Then what is it?” Essie frowned.

“I promised we’d be together tonight.”

“Okay.”

“Then what is it?” Moe asked.

“Shawna needs moral support. And maybe some insight. And someone who can corner someone and get her to confess. Interested, Esther?”

“The bitch that Hansy is seeing,” said Moe.

“That’s part of it. Is she the bitch in this or the innocent?”

“Which would be better?”

Joe shrugged. “I think Shawna just wants to know. And maybe change things around.”

“I’m game,” Essie grinned.

“I figured you would be,” Joe chuckled. The doorbell rang. “Shit. I should change.”

“You’re going to dress up for this?” asked Moe.

“Right. Esther?”

“I’m good.”

“Let’s go then.”

More kisses.

“Oh Joe?”

“Yes Moira?”

“You two want to be private tonight? Somewhere else?”

“You sure?”

“That way Essie can make all the noises without her nosy aunties listening in.”

“I wouldn’t mind,” said Essie, “but that sounds nice. So you are taking me on a date, Joe?”

“I guess I am.”

“You ready guys?” Shawna asked from the edge of the kitchen.

“Yep,” both Joe and Essie answered.

“Sorry to steal your husband,” Shawna said to Moe.

“Understandable.”

Shawna hugged and kissed her, lingering on it. “I want more later,” she said.

“Me too,” Moe grinned. “You nervous?”

“Yeah.”

“You got the best in your corner.”

“I guess I do,” Shawna smiled.

The three climbed into the back of the limo, double parked. Trevor stood at the door and closed it behind them. Settling into his seat, he asked, “Where to?”

“Princeton,” said Shawna.

“Your place?”

“No. I’ll direct you when we get into town.”

“Okay. You want me to shut the screen.”

“No,” the three said.

“You’re a friend, Trevor,” said Joe.

“Thanks.”

“She going to be there?” Joe asked Shawna.

“She better be. I figured we’d be later, coming in from Manhattan and needing to wait for Essie. So I told her to wait for however long it takes.”

“You threatened her,” said Essie.

“I did.”

“Fraternizing.”

“Yeah.”

“That’d probably get your husband too,” Joe pointed out.

“A slap on the hand maybe. Hans is too valuable.”

“Makes sense,” Essie nodded.

“Where are we meeting her?” Joe asked. “Not at her place?”

“No. She’s got a roommate. We’ll pick her up there. But I want a nice setting with some privacy. Some place comfortable. There’s an Italian bistro. Romantic, ironically. But they have a private room. For special tastings the chef prepares. I made sure it wasn’t booked this evening.”

“I’ll pay,” Joe said, figuring it would be pricey.

“I kind of hoped you would. So, can we talk about you two? Should Trevor...”

“He knows,” said Essie, blushing. Joe blushed too.

“No shit,” Shawna laughed.

“Trevor is the pinnacle of discretion,” Joe said. “Right Trevor?”

“I wouldn’t have survived if I wasn’t,” Trevor said.

“That actually makes sense,” said Shawna. “So I might be sitting on your love juices, Essie.”

“I cleaned up,” said Trevor.

The three laughed.

“I think Joe had in mind soft lights and soft music,” said Essie. “I guess I couldn’t wait.”

“Were you... ?” Shawna started.

“A virgin? No.”

“Did Joe know that?”

“I did,” Joe said. “Joanne told me.”

“You beat it out of her?” Shawna smirked.

“I told her to tell me.”

“Same thing.”

“I hope not.”

“Teasing.”

“I know.”

“Speaking of Joanne.”

“It’s...” Joe started.

“ ... complicated,” Essie finished. “She gave Joe permission...”

“Joanne gave you permission?”

“She had to,” Joe shrugged.

“Okay.”

“I guess I wore her down,” said Essie.

“Me too,” Joe chuckled.

“Understandable.”

“Uhm, Shawn...”

Shawna laughed. “You’re a beautiful young woman. And brilliant on top of that. Of course I’m attracted to you. But I don’t get any vibe that you’re interested in me, or any woman.”

“I’m not.”

“How is that going to work? Joe is inextricably attached to his soulmates.”

“They’re the exceptions.”

“Essie?”

“I’m not pretending, Shawn. I love them almost as much as I love Joe. My attraction ... I’d fantasized about them, but I was still worried. Turns out they turn me on, too.”

“How did you find that out?”

Essie giggled. “I was a voyeur before I actually got to fuck Joe.”

“You mean make love.”

“Not yet. I kind of jumped him I guess. So I’d say we’ve fucked. Not that I didn’t feel the love.”

“While feeling a lot more.”

“Yeah. It was fantastic. Both times.”

“In the limo and...”

“Joe’s office. Joe’s chair actually. I needed it. I needed him.”

“And of course Joe couldn’t resist you.”

“Not with Joanne giving me permission,” Joe said.

“The last stumbling block.”

“Yep.”

“Tell me about the voyeur thing.”

“That was hot,” Essie purred. “Joe turning Moe and Cheryl to jelly. Moe even fucked me with a Joe sized dildo. That’s when I totally realized I wanted to be with them and Joe.”

“Watching Joe with his wives?”

“That too, but when Moe fucked me, she was so fucking sexy. And I tasted her and loved it. God that was a relief.”

“You were worried.”

“I really was. Unfortunately I’m still worried.”

“Your mom.”

“Yeah. I’m hoping to convince her to be okay with it.”

“That’s a lot to ask.”

“I know,” Essie teared up.

“Ssh,” Joe comforted her, pulling her into his arms.

“But...” she sniffled.

“I know.”

“I just want...”

“We have this time now. Maybe she’ll be okay with it.”

“I hope so.”

“Me too.”

She hugged and kissed him, her lips warm with emotion.

“Not again,” Shawna smirked.

“Sorry,” said Essie, her head against Joe’s chest.

“Don’t mind me,” Shawna smiled.

“I think I’m going to wait this time,” Essie decided.

“Too bad.”

They laughed.

“Shawn?” Essie started.

“Yes sweetie?”

“You’ve ... you’ve always been okay with me wanting Joe. Just Cheryl and you really.”

“And Eddie,” Shawna told her.

“Really?” Joe responded.

“Your skills and your devotion to Joe, Essie, along with your precociousness, he figured it would be sooner than later. Convinced me. Although he thought Joe should be your first.”

“I wanted to fully welcome him,” Essie explained.

“Of course you had to be prepared,” Shawna laughed.

“Of course. Joe liked that I could compare.”

“He preferred that you weren’t a virgin.”

“Yep.”

“Cocky bastard.”

“Definitely cocky.”

They laughed.

“I don’t ever remember Eddie looking at me the way men look at me,” Essie said. “Even Joe. Those glances full of imagination.”

“Eddie’s scared of you,” Shawna explained.

“Eddie? Scared? Of me?”

“Your beauty and intelligence combined.”

“I don’t know if I was scared of Eddie. But he didn’t seem to like me when I was a kid.”

“He didn’t know what to do with you. This little blonde angel brimming with intelligence. What would he do instead of be with you?”

“He’d always retreat to the basement and practice.”

“Exactly. His sanctuary. Yes, he’s this bold and brilliant musician. Confident and charismatic. But outside of that, he’s really a scared little boy.”

“He never grew up from his trauma!” Joe exclaimed.

“You don’t know what you did for him when you and Cheryl pursued his uncle. And he could confront that demon from his past. Making a monster human. He really was on the edge. Of insanity or complete self-destruction. It could have gone either way. I think Trevor helped too, in his way.”

“I hope so,” said Trevor.

“I had this feeling,” said Joe. “There were these signs. But when all that was confirmed, it made me so angry, having my best friend abused like that. I think back to that time when it was happening to Eddie, and want to know why I couldn’t tell. But of course what would a kid do?”

“I can’t imagine you would have understood,” said Shawna.

“There must have been a change, but I don’t remember it. Of course you’re right that I would have no clue how to respond to such a thing. Maybe make it worse?”

“Like sexualizing your friendship.”

“Yeah. It probably would have fractured our relationship.”

“And he needed you.”

“And I needed him. Except for Harriet or Belle, all we had was each other. I wasn’t lonely, but only because of him.”

“It’s pretty unique that childhood best friends have remained best friends,” Shawna said.

“I don’t know if we sustained it.”

“I do.”

“Me too,” said Essie.

“It’s true I’ve cared about him more than just about anybody else.”

“And he’s always been the same,” said Shawna.

“I guess you’ve been our go-between.”

“I suppose I have. You’re both each other’s favorite topic.”

“I think what kept us together from boyhood to manhood,” Joe realized, “was a respect for each other’s talent. We were each other’s greatest fan and supporter. We wanted each other to succeed. I guess we both dreamed big.”

“And you both accomplished it,” said Essie.

“It’s weird how certain we were that we would.”

“Does it bother you that Eddie is a lot more famous than you?” Essie asked.

Joe chuckled. “We figured that out, too. And that he’d get there a lot quicker than me. But in a way he’s still on my side. Encouraging me to publish my early novels.”

“And you’re going to be his bassist,” Essie added. “So you’re still supporting each other.”

“As long as it lasts.”

“I think it will last. You’re a pretty good bass player.”

“Thanks. Eddie had me work my ass off, so that’s on him. I still like to sit and play sometimes. So at least I haven’t got rusty.”

“What do you play?” Shawna asked.

“Just improvising. Sometimes I’ll play along with Nigella. With the Monsters and her solo stuff. It’s a humbling experience,” Joe chuckled. “But I don’t get frustrated. I’ll remember Eddie’s motto. KISS. Keep it simple, stupid. I could never be her. Nobody could. But I can keep up and keep the basics. Hit the notes that need hitting.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.