Canoe, Canoe - Cover

Canoe, Canoe

Copyright© 2018 by SlaterChance

Chapter 9

The next few weeks were incredible. I had forgotten how wonderful life could be when it was spent with someone you really loved. I never tired of watching Angie, touching her, or simply being in her presence. I was whipped, and I think she knew it.

After things had settled down, Angie stated that she would like to return to her own place. She said that she really appreciated my helping her, but she was not the kind of girl that moved in with a guy. She told me that if I wanted to be with her on a continuous basis, I would need to make it legal.

At that point in our relationship, I was fine with her decision. I respected her sense of commitment and a way of thinking that seemed to have gone out of date. I knew that all good things come to those who wait. I also knew that I was ready to wait forever, if that is what needed to be done. Fortunately, I would not need to wait that long.

Fall came and the leaves turned. My back yard was beautiful for about a week. My azure maple was a mass of red foliage. The bright yellow of the birches produced a stark contrast against the brilliant blue of the sky. If only that amazing palette of colors could have lasted a little longer. Driving down my street was like flipping to the month of autumn on a calendar.

Then the rains and wind came. Soon the leaves had piled up in my yard and needed to be raked. The trees had become barren and the flowers had lost most of their luster. If not for the wonder of my Angie, those few weeks would have been rather bleak and depressing. When Angie and I were together, the world around us lit up, no matter where we were.

One day, the snow began to fall. First there were small flakes. Those soon became large clumps that seemed to float around and travel to random locations. The snow began to accumulate on the tree branches, roof tops, and lawns. I sensed a blanket of quiet that seemed to say, “Hush, I’m creating a masterpiece here.”

Angie came over and we shared a meal of steak and mashed potatoes as we looked out over the changing landscape in my back yard.

“It’s just so peaceful and perfect,” Angie said.

“It always amazes me how the view can change so dramatically in such a short period of time. The scene outside is like a picture one might view in the pages of a travel magazine,” I added.

By that evening, the branches had begun to droop under the heavy weight of the snow. The pond had not frozen yet, so gentle waves could be seen lapping at the thin ice around the shoreline. Lights in the windows of houses around the pond had begun to give off a golden glow, as people began to return from their places of employment. I didn’t at all mind the idea that I would need to go outside and clear away the snow. I realized it was the price one needed to pay for the benefit of enjoying all that beauty.

“Maybe you had better stay over tonight. The roads might be very slippery,” I said.

“Oh sure, you would like that, wouldn’t you,” Angie replied.

“I’m just saying. I’m only thinking about you safety.”

“I’m sure you are,” she said, giving me a look that made me want her to stay even more.

“It just so happens that I don’t have anything planned for tomorrow. Why don’t you stoke up the fire and I’ll get cleaned up. Then maybe we can snuggle up and get cozy,” Angie said with a demure smile.

Being in no mood to argue, I did as I was instructed. It wasn’t long before she returned wearing a big fluffy white robe. It was open just enough that I could see her amazing neckline. She looked so glamorous. I wondered how it had come about that I was in the presence of the most beautiful woman in the world. She came over and curled up next to me on the sofa. I had some old love songs playing softly in the background as we watched the snowflakes continue their journey to earth. The glow of the fire illuminated and flickered on the walls around us. At some point I drifted off to sleep. I don’t know when, for in my mind, time had been put on hold. Clearing the snow would have to wait till morning.

Sometime in the night, I awoke and needed to get some fresh air. I gently propped Angie’s head on a pillow and grabbed my coat. The brisk fresh air felt welcoming on my face. I needed to make sure that the good fortune in my life was really happening and not just a dream. I wanted my senses to be keenly alert. I didn’t need to pinch myself; the cold air did that for me.

The sky was the deepest shade of black, with the stars twinkling brightly in the background. It was very easy to make out Orion’s Belt. I turned my head and located the Big Dipper. The world was eerily quiet. Everyone around me seemed to be sound asleep, except for the light on in one house across the pond. I wondered what they might be doing. Maybe they were up with a sick child. Maybe a college student was working on an important paper. I knew that many of my co-workers had difficulty sleeping. I silently prayed that everything would work out for the individuals involved.

I returned to my warm house, after a silent ‘Thank You’ for the amazing good fortune that had come my way. I made sure to warm myself before once again cradling Angie’s head in my arm. She stirred ever so slightly, as I curled up next to her. I could feel her warm breath against my skin and smell the amazing aroma that belonged only to her. I was so lucky.

The next morning I made Angie a special breakfast. I made Swedish Crepes and filled them with cherry filling. Each crepe was then lightly dusted with a coating a powdered sugar. I also set out a bowl of fresh fruit and a hardboiled egg.

“My, this is nice,” Angie said as she sipped her coffee. “You’re going to spoil me.”

“I’ll try my best,” I responded. “Have you ever snowmobiled?”

“Actually, I haven’t.”

“Well let’s go out and give it a try.”

I didn’t have any snowmobiles myself, but I had a friend who did. I made the arrangements and then headed over to Ted’s house. With the recent warm winters, I had been a little leery about putting any money into purchasing my own machines. The last few winters had produced a rather sparse amount of snow.

Fortunately, Angie was able to borrow Ted’s wife’s suit. She looked very good in it. I have often noticed how attractive a woman can be when she is bundle up in colorful winter gear. Her cheeks had taken on a slight glow, and her eye’s sparkled like the little orbs of snow on the ground.

Ted wasn’t home, but I was very familiar with the machines and knew how to run them. Ted and I had gone on many rides together. We had always managed to have a good time. I showed Angie what to do and let her drive the sled around the yard for a few laps. Ted owned ten acres, half of which was wooded. One edge of the land ran along the highway.

Once Angie felt comfortable, we headed out into the trees. The trail was well marked, with a new layer of snow to add to the beauty. Many of the trees were pines and the branches drooped under the massive amount of snow. Once in the woods, you would have thought we had entered a wilderness area; yet there we were, only a few miles out of town.

I led Angie over to the tunnel that ran under the freeway. The freeway was four lanes wide, so the tunnel was very long. The exit opening looked mighty small in the distance. I don’t know the purpose, or why it was made, but it was wide enough for a snowmobile to pass through. Angie seemed a little hesitant at first. I didn’t blame her. One of my few fears was that of being caught in a cramped space. I had experienced several occasions in my youth, where I had been trapped in tight enclosures and could possibly have died. Those old memories would flair up at times and make for some very anxious moments.

“We can’t drive across the freeway. It’s against the law.” I told her. “This is the only way across. There are some amazing trails on the other side.”

“I just don’t know,” she answered. “It looks so narrow and creepy in there.”

“Here, hop on the back of my sled. We’ll ride across together.”

“Ok, she said.” I could sense by her body signs that she was still not convinced.

In the middle of the tunnel, the walls seemed to close in, but I knew the only way to get through was to keep on going. It wasn’t long before we found ourselves on the other side of the freeway. I quickly walked back and drove Angie’s sled through. With that small hurdle behind us, we could now plan on traveling for dozens of miles.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.