Canoe, Canoe - Cover

Canoe, Canoe

Copyright© 2018 by SlaterChance

Chapter 10

Over the next few weeks, we found ourselves sliding back into our old routines. Angie worked a few additional shifts to help a pregnant co-worker, and I found myself tied up with several very detail oriented projects. We saw each other when we could, but those occasions had become much less frequent than we would have liked.

One Saturday I invited Angie over for a late lunch. I had picked up some fresh fruit, yogurt, and some sausage made by a local butcher. I had also whipped up some waffle batter from scratch. Where normally I would use a packaged mix, I wanted Angie to enjoy the very best. The key to that recipe was in the separation of the egg whites and yolks. The whites were beaten until stiff and then folded in at the very end.

“These waffles are amazing. They have just the right amount of crispiness on the outside,” Angie said. “And the syrup, it’s so good. I believe I tasted a hint of smokiness also.”

“You do have a discerning palate,” I answered. “I made the syrup myself.”

For the last few years, I had tapped a few of the sugar maples on my property to make syrup. The ratio to raw sap to syrup is about forty to one. I figured I had collected about ten gallons of sap to make one quart of syrup. That amount of syrup would easily last me the whole year.

After all the heavy snow, the temperatures had finally begun to move into the warmer range. When the temperature was right for the sap to flow, I had put out my taps and jugs to collect the fluid. The trees produced a good amount of liquid, which I then boiled down over a wood fire. I was very pleased with the outcome. It had pleasing sweet taste, with just the slightest hint of smoke.

About a month later, the snow had melted and plants had begun to return from their winter dormancy. Birds began to sing once more. I spotted numerous critters hopping about in my yard. One day I saw a flash of white in the sky. Upon further inspection, I saw that it was a flock of Trumpeter Swans. The next day I heard the unmistakable call of the Sandhill Crane. Nature seemed to be signaling to me that spring was once more in the air.

I set up a date with Angie to go canoeing on the creek near my place. It was an interesting little creek that ran for about forty miles before emptying into the Mississippi River. A good part of it ran through an urban area, but when traveling on it, you would swear that you were miles away from the city. It also ran through a number of parks and wildlife areas. I had always found something new and interesting to study or ponder while traveling down that scenic waterway.

I pulled into the small parking lot near an entry lake through which the creek flowed. Angie walked down to the water, while I prepared to unload the canoe. I heard a yell, and later learned that Angie had been startled by a large buck that had jumped across the path in front of her. She told me that it had been a magnificent looking animal.

It was a beautiful little lake, with a nice wooden dock. I rolled the canoe off my side and into the water. I noticed a shadow on the water and looked up to see an eagle circling overhead. I also spotted some herons along the shoreline. It was turning out to become a wonderful beginning to our trip.

“This is surely a nice place,” Angie said.

“And it’s only going to get better,” was my reply.

I helped Angie into the canoe, and then climbed in myself. We pushed off from the dock and began to paddle alongside the emerging vegetation. Suddenly, there was a huge splash, followed by a large ripple in the water.

“What was that?” Angie exclaimed.

“It was a fish,” I said. “There are a number of large carp in the area and they like to hang about in the shallows. We must have startled one of them.”

“Wow,” Angie said. “It looked big.”

As we journeyed, we rousted many more of the large fish. We saw some turtles sunning on logs, and even a small fox. The water level was high from the spring run-off, and it moved us along at a pretty good clip. We eventually came to a spot where a smaller creek emptied into ours. I turned the canoe and paddled up it for a short distance.

We came to a narrowing, where there were several wire fences, on either bank, that came down to the water’s edge. Moving on a little further, Angie was startled by the pounding hoofs of some large animal. Before she could say anything, she found herself staring into the face of a beautiful Arabian horse. A wire fence separated it from us, and seemed to be friendly, but she still paddled backwards. It was such an amazing sight against the brilliant blue of the sky and the green of the surrounding pines.

“Whoa,” Angie exclaimed. “That is one beautiful horse.”

“He has a partner around here somewhere, but I don’t see him right now.”

We slowly made our way back to the main creek. At almost every turn there was something new to enjoy and see. At one spot, I pointed to a school up on the hill. At another, we saw some town houses aligned in a row. But for most of the time, we saw nothing but fields and woods.

We traveled through one large culvert that led under a road. We had to get as low as possible to go under one bridge that led up to someone’s house. We came to a rapid that could have posed a problem, but the water was high and covered up the boulders. We quickly cruised through without any problem.

“The next area is even more interesting,” I stated. “We are entering a huge natural area. The creek will double back on itself many times, and it will take a long time to get through, but keep your eyes open. We should see plenty of birds and wildlife. There is even a sandy spot where the locals come down to swim. There’s a big rope swing there, and we might even try it out.

“Sounds great to me,” Angie replied.

We spotted a mink scurrying along a partially sunken log, and a couple of geese. A pair of ducks would let us get just so close, then they would fly up and land a couple hundred yards up the creek. When we got near, they would fly up again. When we arrived at the area where the rope swing was supposed to be, I saw that it was gone.

“It was probably removed by some park authority worried about safety. Maybe it will be there the next time we make this trip,” I said.

“Well, I wouldn’t want anyone to get hurt,” Angie commented.

“True, but if you remove everything that’s fun, but might cause an injury, life could become mighty boring.”

We canoed a little further and came to a small sand bar. I landed the canoe in a natural wedge between the shore and the sand.

“This looks like a good place to take a break. I’ll steady the canoe so you can get out, and then follow you and bring along our lunch.”

I carried the small cooler up the incline and then set it down on a park bench. Fortunately for us, it was unoccupied, and we could have the area all to ourselves. From that vantage point, we had a good view of the creek and a walking bridge that crossed over it. The forest floor around us was filled with a variety of wildflowers and ferns.

I brought out the sandwiches, chips, and a couple of apples that I had brought along. I set them on the bench between us and then fished out a bottle of wine and a couple of glasses.

“This is a very good wine. It is produced locally. I hope you like it,” I said to Angie.

Everything was perfect. I located Pandora, on my phone, and found some soft music that blended in nicely with the singing of the birds. We were shaded by a large maple, and the temperature was nearly perfect.

After Angie had finished eating, and was lightly sipping on her wine, I got up and bent down on one knee before her. Before she could say anything, I said;

“Angie, would you please become my life-long companion? Would you become my wife?”

I looked deep into her eyes. They were so full of life and happiness. She didn’t say anything at first. I thought I saw a small bit of moisture form in the corner of one eye.

“What? Oh my. Seriously, is this really happening?” is all that she could get out at first.

“Well?” I asked again. “Will you marry me?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.