Demigod of War - Cover

Demigod of War

Copyright© 2018 by Mad Wolf

Chapter 61

Day???

John stepped through the portal and found himself in a place very similar to the Labyrinth entry, where he’d written his name in the sand, and accepted the Rules. Same doorway with walls extending into the distance, like the first and third base lines on a baseball diamond. Unlike the other however, his stone platform this time was only as big as the ones out in the desert, that he’d looped through three times to enter. Beyond its small, square boundary was an endless sea of sand stretching as far as he could make out, between the two diverging walls.

Kyet’sol herself was already present, her sleek, predatory head hovering several yards above him. As she had when he met her outside, save for part of her neck, the rest of her body was buried beneath the dunes.

“Challenger,” she boomed after he’d stepped forward and bowed respectfully, “you have completed your Tasks, are you prepared to decide upon your rewards?”

“I am, Great Dragon.” John replied.

“Very well,” she continued, “as a reward for your first Task, you may receive a general increase to all physical traits or all perception senses. Or you may elect to focus on a much larger increase to a single physical trait or sense. Which do you choose?”

“I was told before that choosing the same thing I’ve already received has a diminishing result. Is that true?” John inquired.

Kyet’sol paused. “You are correct, for most rewards. A general increase would not obey that rule, due to the smaller nature of each individual boost. As well, sight, aura, fortitude and reserves do not either, for varied reasons.”

By this point in his travels, John had had tons of time to imagine what he’d choose if he successfully completed all of the Dragon Challenges. So far, he hadn’t learned anything which altered his thinking regarding this next choice.

“I will accept an increase to my endurance.” He declared.

“Very well.” The dragon acknowledged. “Stand still.”

John held himself ready, and a refreshing wave of renewal swept over him. It didn’t eliminate the residual aches and pains from all the things he’d endured since completing the Ruby Dragon’s Challenge, but it did wipe out his exhaustion. He felt like he could run for days.

“For your second reward,” Kyet’sol continued, “you may receive a weapon, piece of armor or an item. It will be one you can use immediately, made from the finest materials known to us. Which do you choose?”

John held out his remaining dagger, the one that Dulgan had spent an hour enchanting during their trek across the desert.

“I’ve been able to turn in other items, and get a slightly better reward before. I want a helmet, but I’d like to turn in this knife. Would that be acceptable?”

The dragon’s massive head lowered to his level. Her breath washed over him, an eye-watering combination of blood, meat and something else he couldn’t (or didn’t want to) identify.

“You have learned many secrets regarding our rewards. I see that you do live up to your reputation. It would not have surprised me to watch you fail completely. Yes, though you desire a piece of armor, adding both of your daggers will improve the helmet you receive. The one you already sacrificed was automatically considered such. Place your weapon on the end there, and step back.”

Her chin dipped to indicate the stone corner closest to her. John did as she’d instructed and waited for his knife to disappear.

“While your item is created, we will turn to your final reward.” Kyet’sol said. “Do you desire to gain the ability to use my power, or to receive my power’s protection?”

“Your protection, please.” John declared.

“My protection has two aspects, only one of which you may choose.” Kyet’sol informed him. “I can speed up your natural healing ability by a factor of ten, or I can augment your body’s nature by giving you the ability to regrow any appendage you may lose. Be aware that such regrowth will take a normal amount of time to do so. Which do you desire?”

This brought John up short. His mind searched for estimated probabilities in both the short, and long term. In the end though, he decided to stick with his original plan. Hopefully, if he managed to live long enough humans would invent a way to regrow lost limbs for him.

“I’ll take the sped up healing.” He announced.

“Very well.” She said. “May you need it rarely.”

A tingling started at the top of his head and washed down to his toes.

“Also,” she continued again, “as a bonus for finding all three of the more difficult doors, I offer you an additional, but conditional reward. If you are willing to forgo your unusual relationship with but one of your companions, I will give you the regrowth ability as well. A short time loss, for a lifelong gain. Do you agree?”

John brain screeched to a halt. The only person he’d even slightly consider doing that to was Vorigan. While the Vamp was an unsavory person at best, he was also the most dangerous one to make an enemy of. And John was absolutely sure that being the one to break his alliance would result in the enmity of all the Vampyri from Blackwater.

“I thank you for the offer, Great Dragon.” John bowed again. “But I cannot abandon my companions, even for such an ability.”

“You have completed Amayru’s Challenge.” Kyet’sol accused. “And expect a very, very long life. Surely you can afford to eliminate a relationship which you know will end within a few years anyway. In addition, I observed the Vampyr conspiring with your Dwimar companion to depart your company and accept a position of importance within the Vampyri community. The Vampyr has also made an offer for an exchange of information, and possibly an embassy of some kind between the Djinn’s people and his own. He sought to keep this arrangement from your awareness. Do you still consider such a person worthy of your continued friendship?”

“I’m not sure I believe you’re telling me the whole truth.” John hedged. “But even if you are, I am very aware of the kind of person Vorigan is. I’m not willing to break my word to him, first.”

“Very well.” Kyet’sol allowed.

She paused, and John felt another tingling. This one started at his finger- and toe-tips before spreading up his arms and legs to die out somewhere around his neck.

“What did you do?” John demanded immediately.

“Me? I Tested you, Challenger from Earth.” Kyet’sol replied smugly. “I know you are aware of this world’s purpose.”

“And? Did I pass?” John pressed.

“Your results are between myself and another, as you know.” Kyet’sol retorted. “But I have done nothing detrimental to you either.”

“So, I still have my quick healing?” John confirmed.

“Your rewards are yours until death. This is a Condition of the Challenge.” Kyet’sol declared. “Now, your new helm is ready.”

A midnight-black helmet appeared where John’s dagger had been a few minutes earlier. Its style resembled the famously iconic Spartan helm used as a logo for sports teams in the U.S, but with a wider, more geometric opening for his eyes, nose and mouth. That opening was filled by a fine wire-like mesh, similar to that on a fencing mask, and a soft crest of fibrous hair flowed from the crown to the nape.

John picked it up and put it on. It fit snugly, with firm cushioning on the interior, like a motorcycle helmet. Once it was in place he discovered that the screen didn’t interfere with his vision at all. In fact, the eye-slit part was wide enough that his field of vision was close to one hundred-eighty degrees. A simple heads-up display appeared, with only two icons: a bare head, and the helmet.

“It is named: War Master’s Mask.” Kyet’sol announced. “Formed from two dragon’s scales, it will protect you from any weapon’s blow, save those rewarded by my sisters and I that are specifically made to penetrate armor. Even powers granted by my sisters will find very little conductivity through that helm. It can transform its appearance into anything you put on your head once, from this moment forward, but only provide half the protection. Additionally, when worn with your coat, Arms of a Giant, it will prevent you from becoming disoriented in combat. And if worn with your boots, Feet of a Soldier, your thought and focus during combat will be far less taxing.”

Thinking about his shield, John tried activating his new item.

“Mask, no helmet.” He said.

The HUD icons remained, but the rest of the dark material vanished. It even felt like his head was bare.

“Mask, helmet.” He ordered.

The armored headgear reappeared.

“This is great!” He gushed. “Mask, no helmet.”

“My sister, Typhon informed me that you have been seen in the company of a Technomancer.” Kyet’sol inquired. “Is this true?”

John hesitated. “Yeah, she’s a friend of mine. Why?”

“She might find your helm of interest.” The dragon replied innocently.

I’ll make a note of it. He snarked silently.

What are you wearing? Duin asked excitedly.

A new helmet. John answered. Do you like it?

It carries no personality? Duin confirmed.

None that I know of. Why? John replied.

It feels like I can almost touch it, somehow...

We all feel it that way. The Tooth added.

Like an itch in the middle of your back. Vafthundryr added.

We’ll have to experiment with it, then. John decided.

“This concludes your reward.” Kyet’sol announced. “You may depart using the door behind you. Should you elect to remain in the College outside, know this: a word from any Boon member is law. If you initiate violence, or impede the Boon’s efforts, your departure through an Exit Portal will result in being transported to a location chosen for its inhospitality to you.”

“Don’t start fights.” John summarized. “Got it. No problem.”

The dragon snorted in laughter. “An Evolved Warlord, armed with a powerful weapon, who attempts to complete Challenge after Challenge. I do not believe avoiding conflict is as easy for you as you say.”

“I’ll do my best.” John bowed, stepping backward. “I know one of your Boon people, and have great respect for what they do.”

“Kept you alive, have they?” Kyet’sol’s laughter doubled.

It echoed in his ears as he stepped into the doorway.


An unknown length of time blinked by and John found himself flipped around, still on the stone platform with sand stretching into the darkness. Kyet’sol’s piercing eyes regarded him silently for a moment.

“Uh,” John stuttered, unsure, “I thought we were done? Aren’t I supposed to exit now?”

“You have received your rewards, and the Labyrinth is completed.” The dragon acknowledged. “But have been returned to bear witness to an Event not seen since my arrival on this world.”

John blinked. “Bear witness?”

The dragon’s gaze bore down on him. “Do you agree, John from Earth, to watch the events I am about to show you, to remember so long as you live, and to recall accurately, should one of my kind demand it? And will you keep silent, unless asked by an appropriate authority?”

“Um, sure?” John offered. “How do I know ‘appropriate authority’?”

“You will know.” Kyet’sol assured him. “Do you agree to my Terms?”

John sighed, understanding what his agreement signaled. “I agree to your terms.”

There was a shimmer between one edge of his platform, and a second one that appeared on the other side. It even had a doorway like John’s did, which a hazy Vorigan stepped through. John moved closer, and reached out to touch the unusual barrier.

“Please watch only.” The dragon instructed. “And keep silent. Your Task is to observe and commit this event to memory.”

John nodded once. “Will do.”

Another, also-hazy Kyet’sol lowered her head to hang right at the corner of Vorigan’s platform, opposite the doorway.

“Challenger, you have succeeded in your Tasks.” The dragon said, sounding much farther away to John’s sensitive ears. “And normally would be eligible now for me to offer rewards. But first, we must discuss what would be the final reward, a gift of my power, or its protection.”

Vorigan bowed respectfully. “Great Topaz Dragon, Master of the Great Pyramid and Giver of Restoration and Healing, I greet you in solemn humility. Your words are concerning. I do not understand what you mean, nor what this is, that you put to me.”

The dragon’s head bobbed. “You do not, for you are the first to achieve the Call, in this world. You now face a choice, which must be decided before your rewards can proceed. Your decision must also be witnessed, by a person still living who has successfully completed my Challenge. If you cannot, or will not name such a person who is satisfactory to you, I will do so.”

Vorigan staggered in place, but remained standing. “I ... only know of one, or perhaps two people who might have completed the Challenge. Either of my companions, John the Nord with a Fey Ear, or Master Dulgan Ironhand Fireshaper would be acceptable.”

Kyet’sol’s head bobbed again. “John the Nord, as you call him is acceptable to myself as well. He shall be shown your choice, but restricted from discussing it without being in the presence of my mother, myself, or one of my sisters. You may not converse with him, so I shall keep his view hidden from your sight.”

Vorigan braced both feet shoulder’s width apart. “I understand, Great Kyet’sol. What am I to choose?”

“I consulted with my sisters, Typhon and Amayru regarding you when the Call rang out.” Kyet’sol informed him. “You first gained Necromantic power eight hundred and thirty-seven years ago, then Evolved your form five hundred and fifty-three years ago. You are now an Aristocratic-class Vampyr Death Knight; a warrior of the highest order whose form is at the pinnacle of its possible Evolution. Is this not so?”

Vorigan hands shook. “You speak truly, Great One.”

“Then your choice is this,” Kyet’sol continued, “your nature as a Vampyr gives you the ability to heal yourself, at others’ expense only. Also, your mastery over Necromancy is now total, infusing your form with its Necromantic power and using others’ deaths to fuel your indefinitely long martial life. Were I to gift you with either aspect of my normal healing ability as your reward, it would corrupt and almost assuredly destroy you. If it did not, it would undoubtedly permanently weaken you severely. However, I can offer you an alternative to this: accept service with me, to serve as my Boon’s Death-Drinker, and I will transform your Death Knight form into a Banneret of Balance, one capable of holding both Necromantic and Mystic powers together.”

Vorigan sank slowly to a knee.

“You feel the Call, do you not?” The dragon continued speaking without pause. “If you agree to serve me, for an unspecified but finite amount of time known only to me, I shall postpone the Call until your service is complete. I believe that by the end of your time, you will have achieved a unique merging between Death and Life, sufficient to potentially shield you from the Call’s most serious possible consequences. I also believe that it will make your path easier, should you finally accept all that the Call demands of you. It will require you to swear your absolute, utter loyalty and obedience to me, agree to forgo taking any sentient being’s blood from this moment forward, and restrict yourself to only killing those whose death is a just one. For clarity, any death which saves a life in exchange, qualifies as such. As an incentive, any justified death you cause will reduce your service by a day, but any unjustified murder will result in lengthening it by two. In return, you will become a beacon for those in need, both in battle and out, and an anathema to all who seek pain, cruelty and suffering for their own sake. While you will remain a Vampyr in my service, you may not accept any other being’s lordship over you. Not even your current master.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.