My Second Chance - Cover

My Second Chance

Copyright© 2019 by Ronin74

Chapter 28: Things Neglected

When I get home, I phone Sorrel right away.

“Hello, Sorrel speaking.”

“Good day, this is Trent. I’m sorry, I didn’t phone you sooner. I meant to, but with everything going on, it slipped my mind.”

“I can understand that. It isn’t every day I see somebody being escorted away by a military big-wig and a bunch of military police.”

“Ya, sorry about that. It was a matter of national security. They were supposed to wait until after I got home from our meeting, but they thought it couldn’t wait.”

“I just hope it doesn’t happen again. It was a little more excitement than we are used to.”

“It won’t. After the way they treated me, I refuse to work with the Air Force again. I will deal with the contractors directly.”

“Can I ask what it was about?”

“Do you watch the news?”

“Not as often as I should. When I lived with Mom and Dad, I did.”

“There was a problem with the fighter plane our military uses. I came up with a solution. I can’t tell you what it is. All I can say is that by now, all the planes should be fixed.”

“Whatever it was, I’m glad it’s over.”

“So, have you found a suitable place that you think I should look at?”

“I have a few options to go over with you. Most of it depends on the size of restaurant you wish to own. I ruled out the smaller ones.”

“Error on the side of being too big. I know Mr. Mike’s normally doesn’t have banquet rooms, but I want at least one, so I can hold business suppers and parties there.”

“Good, that eliminates over half the properties. There is also the option of building on somebody else’s property, like say, building in the parking lot of the Westshore Mall.”

“The mall isn’t classy enough. Something closer to the office complexes. There is a chance I will need to wine and dine execs from McDonnell Douglas, Northrop, Motorola and NeXT. So, I need a classy place. I will likely bend the franchise rules to get what I want.”

“You have to be careful upsetting a franchise. They could pull your license, and you would end up without a franchise.”

“I’m not worried about that. The initial setup is what I want help with, which is why I would bother with a franchise. If they pulled my franchise license, I would keep the menu with a few modifications. I would just have to find suppliers.”

“There is a nice place on the corner of Millstream and Station that I think you should look at.”

“I know the place. If we can get both restaurants and knock out the wall between them, I would be for it. It is a good location, and there are only low-end casual and fast food in the area. Nothing that would compete with a top-end casual to fine dining.”

“I’ll look into it.”

We chat a bit more, mostly a little socializing, nothing important. What is important is not dismissing Sorrel and letting her know she is valued; otherwise, I would have abruptly ended the call.

When I hang up, I immediately phone Dahlia’s Mom.

“Hello.”

“Good Day, Ms. Fells, how are you doing this fine day.”

“Fine, thanks. Hold on. I’ll get Dahlia for you.”

I try to tell her not to bother, but she placed the phone down a little too quickly.

Dahlia answers, “Hi Trent, can this wait? I was about to come over.”

“You know how I only hire the hottest women?”

“You pig. You found another looker, and you want to make sure I won’t get upset. I have enough women to compete with.”

“Ya, but this one will be after Sam, not me.”

“TRENT, What about my mom? You just got them together. Now, you want to break her heart. You’re an asshole.”

“Are you telling me you don’t want me to hire your mother?”

“What? Wait a minute. What are you saying?”

“Your mom was a little quick, putting the phone down. I didn’t get a chance to tell her it is her I want to talk with. Granted, I’m not disappointed to hear your voice, but I am trying to do some business. Could you put her back on?”

“OK, I’ll see you in a few.”

“You forget. I have karate tonight. Come over after supper.”

“That cuts into our time together. You should quit.”

“You have no right to complain. You and I had dance together. Karate is something I do with Kim. Besides, it keeps me toned and sexy, the way you like me.”

“I can keep you toned and show you what sexy is.”

“All you girls constantly show me what sexy is. Now get your mom. This is supposed to be a work call.”

I can almost hear the two talking for a short bit before Ms. Fells picks up the phone.

“Dahlia said you have something you need to discuss.”

“How do you like your job?”

“It’s as good as any, I guess. Working a higher-end restaurant would be nice. It is a bit of a hassle having to put up with the customers and then not get a tip because they can’t afford it.”

“Would you prefer to manage a restaurant instead of waiting?”

“It would be nice to get off my feet, but then, I would have to deal with staff and other headaches. I suppose it is six of one half a dozen of the other. It is a moot point anyway. It is rare to get a promotion to manager, especially in such a small restaurant. The extra pay would be nice.”

“I suspect you have worked the industry enough that you know a few good waitresses that would love to quit their jobs if a respectable place opened up with a manager they could trust.”

“That is never a problem. Off the top of my head, I can think of a half dozen girls.”

“What about cooks?”

“That is a bit more difficult, but Camosun College has a chef’s program. There are all kinds of new cooks in this town.”

“Do you have any experience managing a restaurant or dealing with suppliers and such?”

“When the owners go on holidays, they leave me in charge. Why? What is this about?”

“I have a list of problems I am trying to solve with one simple solution. The short of it is, I’m about to build a restaurant, and I need a manager. You are the first person I thought of.”

“I don’t know, Trent. I have never managed a restaurant on my own. It is one thing to take care of a place for a week while the owner goes on holiday. It is another altogether to run it every day.”

“That is the great thing about being management. If you are having trouble, then hire somebody that can deal with it and delegate. That is what I am doing here. The only difference would be you would have to talk with me before we hire extra staff.”

“Are you sure you want to do this? Most new restaurants fail.”

“I know, I don’t care. I need a classy place in Colwood. I don’t want to go all the way into town every time I have a business meeting. Even if the restaurant runs at a loss, I will be happy. There is also the fact that it isn’t going to be a mom and pop place like you are at. It will be a franchise, so you will have help from them too.”

“I don’t know. I’m not sure I like the idea of working with you. What if it doesn’t work out? I don’t want a job that has the potential of coming between my daughter and me.”

“You will be working for completely different companies. There may be a time, years down the road, where Dahlia will end up as your boss. That isn’t any time soon. It is no secret that Victoria is about to hit a major recession. The place you work at now will likely close, and you will be left without a job. I am offering you a job with plenty of room for advancement. I plan on owning a chain of restaurants, and if you prove capable, which I am sure you will, then you will have a stake in it.”

There is silence for a short bit, so I continue, “Why don’t you just meet with the franchise and me. See that it is something you will be interested in. Then we will negotiate a fair wage. It will mean more hours and a higher hourly wage.”

“I am not saying yes but will agree to the meeting.”

“Now, that is settled. I don’t think it appropriate to use your title as Ms. Fells all the time. I think it best that while we are at work, I’ll call you Zlata. All other times you are Ms. Fells, out of respect for you being Dahlia’s mom. At least until you get serious with Sam, then I’ll call you Mom.”

“We are not there yet, young man.”

“Whatever, Mom.”

I don’t have much time before I have to go, but what time I do have, I spend on the phone with Zalta. The way we teased and flirted, it is easy to tell she is Dahlia’s mother. The two have a lot in common. I’m sure it will not be long until I am starting to have mother/daughter fantasies where they are the main focus.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.