My Second Chance - Cover

My Second Chance

Copyright© 2019 by Ronin74

Chapter 24: Too Big for the Home Shop

After lunch, Carol takes Blair to the shop and starts teaching her how to build Kayaks and make kits. I leave them to it. Carol is a smart girl and in our study group. I have seen her tutor, so I know she will have no problems teaching Blair. Blair is also competent, especially when working with her hands. I expect they will make a formidable team.

When I started all this, I had minor concerns about having my friends work for or with me. Too much time together often ruins friendships. Working together has only brought us closer. We now have more in common and work harder to help one another. It does the heart good to see all my friends prospering.

I was also concerned about Carol’s family after Rachel dropped off the map. Thankfully she got them in order enough that once she left, they could take care of themselves. I still hadn’t heard from her since she decided to run out on me. I still worry about her. She has no marketable skills. I left her enough money to go to university, so she has a good chance of making it on her own. It is difficult to not worry about those you care about.

Since I try to stay out of the conversation at lunch, I have a bunch of time to think. I want Alva to stay with us. I think she will be a tremendous asset. I come up with a plan. As soon as lunch ends, I head to my room and make a call to Daniel. After our salutations, I get right to it, “Daniel. I have an idea I want to pitch. I don’t know if you will be interested, but I wanted to give you first crack. It would be a lot of exposure for your shop.”

“With the last deal you brought me, you are making me enough that I will never have to worry about my shop again. Anything you want, I’m willing, but I would prefer it if my shop doesn’t grow too big. I like it to remain a nice mom and pop store.”

“I’m building a road bike and wanted a sponsor for my team. Alva Johansson is our coach and will be riding for our team.”

“You said you are coming to me first. Does that mean you will give it to Russ if it doesn’t work for us?”

“Yes, but I would prefer my brand to be associated with you.”

“Talk with him. If he isn’t interested, then give me a call again. Like I said, I’m not interested in growing. You have made our dreams a reality, so I would gladly be there to help you out. I honestly think Russ would be a better fit for you.”

“That is why I like you. You are honest, and if you think the customer will benefit, your not afraid to turn down a pile of money. If you ever need anything, let me know.”

“It means a lot to me. I meant to tell you; we packaged a video we made and all the info you gave us on your mountain bike and couriered it to Scott. I would expect them to contact you within the week.”

“That is good to hear. I would love to continue chatting, but we both have work to do. We better say goodby for now.”

Daniel says his goodby and hangs up. I was a little sad. I could see how this could be the beginning of the end of our partnership. He got what he needed, and I was going to outgrow his little shop quickly.

As soon as I am off the phone with Daniel, I call Russ.

“Russ, I have been doing some thinking.”

“The last time you mentioned you were thinking you dropped the best mountain bike in the world on my lap. Whatever it is, I’m excited.”

“To start with, I would like you to sponsor my team. I’m going to build a bike like nothing you’ve ever seen. I’m talking frictionless bearings, carbon fibre frame and aerodynamics. Something lighter and faster than the world has ever seen.”

“What do you want from me?”

“You let me poach Alva as a tester whenever I need, you supply me with a bike mechanic, any equipment the team needs and you supply the jerseys. Brown’s Bikes and Russ Hay’s logos are to be the same size. You come up with the design, and I get to approve it. In return, you get a ton of exposure when Alva leaves everybody in her dust, and my little team of nobodies cleans house.”

“That is asking for a lot just for a sponsorship. I was hoping for a piece of the bike.”

“I already gave you a piece of one of the best bikes on the planet. Asking for a piece of this is a little much. The frictionless bearings alone are going to make me truck-loads of money.”

“How about instead of giving you one of my mechanics, we do the work for you?”

“I suppose. I’ll just bring it all in at once and watch you assemble it. I’m sure I could do it all myself, but I want the wheels balanced perfectly, and I have no experience assembling a wheel.”

When I get off the phone, I head up the hill to talk with Sam. He and Grandpa have finished stripping the car they are working on and are now rebuilding the body.

“Sam, my companies have grown too big for the facilities we have. I need a shop and an office. Our property isn’t zoned for commercial use, and we could lose our business licenses operating the way we are.”

“What do you want to do?”

“The gravel pit has closed down again. I was thinking of buying the portion between Metchosin Rd and the ocean. We could build a nice shop there. One side for boats the other for bikes with a section in between for R & D. On top of it will be the offices. We build something many times bigger than what we need, so there is room to grow. That is the long-term solution. For now, I need a machine shop and a place to make carbon fibre frames.”

Grandpa asks, “What is carbon fibre?”

“It is a material that has only just started being used in bike frame construction. I know a way to improve it, so it is lighter but just as strong as aluminum. I’m going to build the world’s fastest production road bike. So, I need a shop.”

Sam says, “I think you better talk with Mom before you make any decisions.”

That is his default answer for most things. I’m not worried. Gran may think we are growing too fast, but given the capital I have already made, She will not say no. I save more money than I spend, so there is no real worry about me overextending the main company.

After our little discussion, I head into Colwood, looking for a shop I can rent until my building is ready for us to move in. I find the perfect place beside the mall that is for sale. I head into the mall, so I can talk with the realtor there.

At first, they just ignore me because I am a kid. Eventually, I ask the girl at the front desk, “Is there any way a guy can talk to somebody about commercial properties?”

She smiles and says, “Properties are a bit expensive for a boy your age. Commercial properties are a lot more money than residential. You might want to talk to your parents first.”

“Listen, lady. I will cut you some slack because you do not know who I am, but if you do not drop the attitude and get me some help, I will buy this joint and fire your ass.”

“I think maybe you should leave.”

“A 15-year-old kid is old enough to know his thousand-dollar bank account isn’t enough to buy a house, let alone a shop. I am here to talk about buying a seven-figure commercial property. Now grow the fuck up and get me your top salesman.”

The gentleman whose office is behind the receptionist sees the commotion and steps out of his office, asking, “Is there a problem here?”

I reply before she gets a chance to, “Yes, I am sick of people always underestimating me because of my age. Your receptionist just tried to get me to leave, losing you a seven-figure sale. You know what? You lost the opportunity. If I stay, there will be ire, and I will not get the best deal. I think I will talk to Gran and use her realtor.”

The gentleman holds out his hand, “Wait a minute. I’m Larry Jones. What property were you looking at?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.