Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4)

Copyright© 2008 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Part 77: INTERLUDE: ADMIRAL DENT

The short Admiral leaned back in the high backed chair that had an extra thick seat cushion so he looked as tall as the others sitting there; that his feet did not reach the floor was something no one dared to notice. He stapled his fingers and nodded to Commander Becker his second in command.” All teams have arrived I gather?”

“Yes Sir, they are all here now. We have confirmation that the USS Shetland will also arrive later today.”

Dent was still calm.”We will show those self important meddlers that we earned the right to be the elite, of course. You had time to go over the files of the teams?”

“Yes, Sir, there are a few that might pose more than a challenge for us this year, but we are working on a few ideas to ensure our victory despite external supervision.”

“I like to hear more about these ideas later.

The short Admiral looked over the conference table at what he called his inner staff. Three women and eight men he had handpicked over the last two decades and all but two were former Cadets at Newport. He had promoted them and gave them special privileges. That each of them had almost failed the Psych evaluation at the Academy entry exam with a warning note of the psychological examiner was exactly why they were here. Actually he had developed a little search logarithm that was looking for exactly those character traits in all the Academy applicants and it was those that got an invitation to Newport.

On his right sat Lt. Belinda Morgan, she was a genuine Terran from Earth region Northern Europe. Her Psych profile classified her as obsessive with ambition, a general hatred for men, a high level of easily evoked envy at anyone having success greater than hers and an inflated self image. She was accepted with only one Psych Evaluation point above the dismissal threshold and the note that her character development should be closely monitored by academy staff. She was a perfect fit for Dent, as he saw those traits not as a handicap, especially since his Psych evaluator back then had made similar observations only he would have failed the exam if his friend Swybar had not introduced him to a bribable records clerk who altered his exam notes.

These traits made them malleable to his ideas and ways of doing things, none of them were stupid and had the necessary level of intelligence to pass the Academy intellect requirements and they were well aware that the things they did for Dent over the years were not just against Fleet regulations but some activities were nothing less than treason or would be classified as capital crimes and doing these things tied them even closer to Dent.

None of his staff had the snug and confident faces they usually had during staff meetings, they all looked worried today.

The news that the USS Shetland was only hours away bringing the Admiral of the Fleet in person for a close inspection had traveled fast.

Belinda had spent all night, erasing and doctoring files that could not stand up to closer scrutiny.

He sipped at his cup of Venus Sun tea, grown in the first terra formed gardens of his home world. It was an acquired taste as almost everything that grew in the soil of Venus still had a distinctive smell and taste of sulfur. It was almost a ritual, no one talked while sipped his tea, and he put down the cup in a measured move and gave Lt. Morgan a sign to give her report.

The woman had despite all the options available, an overweight problem. Of course she did not even consider any of those options as she found nothing wrong with herself and considered the fitness standards of the fleet oppressive and solely designed to discriminate against her. She had made the decision to join the Fleet because her class mates had made fun of her and told her she would never be accepted.

Belinda filled out her uniform, stretching it to its limits. Usually she loved to give her report and sound important and efficient, but not today. Her eyes shifted back and forth between her notes and the Admiral. “I have done what you asked me to, our main data bank now shows a malfunction and all the internal files have either been lost or adjusted.”

Dent played with his cup and looked at her. “Well if that is the case why do I get the distinct impression you are not telling me everything?”

A red shade flushed over her round cheeks.”While doing that I noticed someone had been in the Archive section of our Cadet library and downloaded a considerable portion of these files.”

Dent’s facial color changed too and he paled visibly. “How can that be? Those files should not even be accessible from the library and they are encrypted are they not?”

She said. “Whoever accessed the system at the library ran a very sophisticated and customized search program. All computronics are connected, Sir.”

Dent inhaled slowly. “Sophisticated and customized, does that mean a spy perhaps of NAVINT or CID tried to gain access?”

She shrugged her round shoulders. “Our Chief Computronic Analyst is of the opinion that this someone had made up that program on the fly and tailored it exactly to our system parameters. He also reports that this individual broke into our encrypted files in less than five minutes. According to him that should have been almost impossible.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.