Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4)

Copyright© 2008 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Part 30: COMBAT ENGAGEMET

I went back on the bridge and while I was walking up the ramp I said. “Tactical put a situation map of our deployment area on the screen. Display all pirate and insurgence activity for the last five years.

“Aye Sir, I anticipated your order and prepared Intel reports as well and correlated them into the map.”

“Very good Mr. Deberaux, I appreciate that.”

I leaned back in my seat and studied the map that popped up on the main-screen when Comm. reported. “Sir two new reports came just in. A Dai fleet was sighted near coordinates 456.455.122 three days ago.”

A new red dot appeared on the map. There were two possible targets in equal distance: The Nepomuck system and the Pleasure Pasture Colony in the Aldoor System. Both systems are at the fringes of Union space and only twentyfive light years from unclaimed space. In the last five years I saw there where dozens of reports of Dai activity around Nepomuck, there was not a single one near Aldoor.

I pulled up the Galactic Encyclopedia and read about both systems.

“Helm lay in a course for the Aldoor System. Flight deck, launch four Long range Gazelle scouts to the Nepomuck system. Scouts are to remain at Sensor distance from any enemy contact.”

“Aye Sir.”

“Comm. Contact Nepomuck III and advise them of a possible Dai attack and see if you can verify the report and talk to the person who reported the sighting.”

Harris clasped his hands on his back. “Why the Aldoor System? It does not seem to be of interest to the Dai.”

“The Nepomuck system is well developed and three planets are owned by Schwartz Industries. They can afford the best long range sensors and that in my opinion explains all these reports. Pleasure Pasture is a relative new colony started by an artist and an agricultural co-op. I doubt they have the money or the foresight to purchase any long range scanner assets. So it doesn’t mean the Dai have visited the area less it just means no one noticed them. There the insert over that system shows that Pleasure Pasture requested technical assistance to mine a newly discovered and supposedly rich find of tourmaline and that is a source for Boron.” Boron was among the most valuable elements and no ship reactor was without boron shielding. Boron fibers got used in space suits and armor and an endless array of other products vital for any space faring civilization.

Harris smiled. “Something the Dai would love to have.”

“It certainly makes it a valuable target for a space born society and I doubt they want to make Schwartz Industries all too angry. After all Corporate Security fleets can go into Freespace just fine and go Dai hunting. I’ve seen a glimpse of Enroe might, and everyone including Alex himelf tells me that they are but a shadow of Schwartz Industries.”

“Sound reasoning for sure. It isn an open secret, SII corporate fleet is second only to the Navy and on the same tech level.”

Before I could talk more about SII, the Communications officer on duty interrupted saying.

“Sir the most recent sighting report came from a Ranger patrol and I have him on now.”

Only recently did I learn about the United Stars Ranger service and everything I heard about them impressed me. The Ranger service was a paramilitary organization under the control of the Federal Justice Department. The Rangers patrolled the fringe worlds, the outer reaches of Union space. Provided mail service, first aid and medical help, dispensed law and justice when necessary and did pretty much everything in between. A jack of all trades and a Ranger was usually all by himself, rarely in teams of two with a small very specialized space ship, hopping from planet to planet and from asteroid mines to other outposts and settlements.

A ranger so I had heard was on patrol for a year before he returned to base. Everyone I talked about the Rangers talked with deep respect.

“Put him on Lieutenant.”

“This is Peter Baker, Union Ranger Service.”

“This is Captain Olafson, USS Devastator. We are on our way into your area of space to check on your Dai Sighting. Do you need anything?”

“Is Richard still aboard that ship? I mean Admiral Stahl?”

“Yes Sir.”

“I’ll catch up with you one of these days then I haven’t seen that Ol’ buckaroo in ages. Them Dai moved a gaggle of ships including a Mother into Union territory about an hour ago. I didn’t want to tango with them. My Betsy is a good ship but no match for an entire Dai Fleet.”

“Do you know their heading?”

“Nope, I don’t have as far reaching sensors as you Navy guys have. I saw them on the very horizon of my sensors and hauled ass the other way. As I said I am not equipped to deal with many Dai Fighters. However I bet my best pair boots they’re heading to Crazy George’s place, that Ol’ goofball found more Boron than you could haul away in that big ship of yours and bought himself a Boron refinery. Now he’s broadcasting it all over the place.”

“Do I assume correctly Crazy George is one of the residents on Pleasant Pasture?”

“Pleasant Pasture? Oh right that’s what it is still called in the catalogs. It’s simply called the Pitts locally. The pasture thing didn’t work out when the imported cows where eaten by local flesh worms. If you go there wear boots I tell ya.”

The Ranger was a big man even looking at him via main screen and he talked in a very peculiar way.

“Thank you Ranger Baker. We are headed that way and I make sure I have boots issued to eventual landing parties.”

We arrived in the nick of time. The Dai Fleet was immense and had dropped into the system approaching the third planet. Several Dai Units already engaged a convoy of civilian freighters also heading towards the second planet.

Harris said.”It is an entire entire clan, and from the looks of it one of the biggest ones. Hundreds of Destroyers, Battle ships, two carriers, complete with a fiveteen kilometer Dai Mother.” he pointed at a huge ugly ship. It looked as if someone stuck soap bubbles made of metal and of various sizes together in a random fashion, smaller bubbles to the bow and bigger ones towards the aft. The bubbles bristled with weapon turrets and the mother was surrounded by a swarm of frigates and fighters.

I plopped in the command seat. “Sound Battle Stations. Full condition Red. All Shields. Tactical arm all weapons, you are authorized for Exo loads.”

My entire body prickled with a strange sensation. This would be a real battle and as big as the Devastator was we faced an entire fleet.

“Hail the Dai.”

“Maximum output sir? So they hear you for sure?”

“You got that right, Lieutenant, Dial it up to max.”

“You are on sir, all channels. Maximum transmission energy.”

“This is Captain Eric Olafson of the Union Star Ship Devastator. Dai-Than you are hereby ordered to cease any and all hostile activities at once and stand down. This isn your only chance to engage in communications and negociations. This will be your one and only warning.”

A red skinned humanoid that looked very much like the classical Terran image of Satan appeared on the screen. With space black hair framing distinct sharp cut facial features and a mouth with pronounced canine fangs and long pointed ears. The only thing missing to complete the demonic look was a set of horns. He laughed. “Even if that mighty ship of yours would be commanded by Captain Harris or by that demon Stahl himself we will not stand down. We are Dai and we will fight.”

I made the motion to cut him off. “Flight Deck launch all fighter wings circle around to the other side of the system and attack the Dai from there. Launch all Thor Gun boats and Destroyers. Deploy for Half-moon formation and attack from the Z plane. Helm all ahead full. Tactical open fire with all weapons as soon as targets come within fire range, main batteries to target that mother first, bring all Translocators to bear. Exo loads, salvo tact, FIRE.”

The Devastator shook and shook again right after the first tremor.”

“OPS damage report, deploy damage control teams. XO, Casualties. Tactical you are authorized to fire Loki torpedoes at any available target.”

“OPS here, No damage. Primary Shields are at 98% No Casualties. The tremors came from all main guns discharging Exo loads at the same time, Sir.”

The Dai Mother was suddenly patterned with bright white lines all over and it was as if the metal bubbles expanded and then in a blinding fireball a new Sun appeared where the Dai mother had been, and that fireball kept on growing and swallowed other Dai ship nearby. A constellation of hundred new suns flashed to life all around us.

I glanced over to the tactical officer and he was leaning back in his seat.

“Tactical do we have a technical problem, why aren’t we firing?”

“Sir, there are no targets.”

“No targets?” I whispered and looked at the tactical read out. The energy spheres slowly dissipated. There was not a single red dot left. There were the civilian freighters represented in blue, hundreds of green symbols representing our fighters and gunboats. Dark brown dots showing obliterated, burning and completely lifeless wrecks, there was not a single red dot on the screen. I sank back in my seat beginning to realize the true power of the Devastator. The results of my commands eradicated an entire Dai Clan, probably killing half a million beings or maybe more.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.