Prodigal Son - Cover

Prodigal Son

Copyright© 2020 by Mark Randall

Chapter 7

While the prisoners were being placed in their cells, Sheriff Quigley’s problem with the Wilkins lady’s society was continuing.

Mrs. Macvley and her gaggle of squawking geese, joined by the newly reformed Clinton Elsworth. The self-styled religious leader of Wilkins. Had burst into the Sheriff’s office and were loudly demanding that Sheriff Quigley agree to their demands.

Mostly those demands were spur of the moment offenses to the sensibilities of the ladies. Mainly that the prisoners had been naked and had used profane language to them.

Elsworth led the crowd, “Sheriff. You must stop this inhumane treatment of these poor souls that have been dragged into your custody. They are simply misguided children needing guidance and compassion. Parading them around naked, humiliating them and painting them with the name of outlaw. Only fuels their anger and resentment of society.”

Sheriff Quigley sat behind his desk and stared blankly at Elsworth.

April Macvley joined Elsworth. “Really Sheriff, must you expose the tender youths of our fair city to the crudity and foulness spewed by these naked barbarians? I saw no less than a dozen youths of tender age trooping alongside this parade of male nudity. Mocking and teasing them. It was shocking and most disturbing.”

Sheriff Quigley had shifted his blank stare to Mrs. Macvley. He sat there for a moment. It seemed that he was gathering his thoughts. Standing up, he turned to the gun rack behind him. Pulling out a double-barreled shotgun, he broke it open. Then reaching into a desk drawer, he pulled out two shells and put them into the gun and snapped it closed.

“Clint, I have given a lot of credit to you and your come to Jesus moment. When that traveling revival, show came through, I was happy that you, finally, got your shit together. But I guess I need to remind you that you still owe me two weeks for drunk and disorderly. Any comment?”

Elsworth stood there for a moment debating his options. Coming to a conclusion, he said, “I just wanted to express my feelings to you Sheriff. Please don’t see this as a demand for action on your part. Or a condemnation of your methods. Now, if you will excuse me, I have a pressing matter elsewhere.”

As he was hurrying out the door, Sheriff Quigley called out. “Privy’s out back, Clint. But you already knew that didn’t you?”

Turning to April Macvley, Sheriff Quigley smiled. “April, how is that card sharp that I ran off last month? He certainly was a handsome one, wasn’t he? Did you get a chance to introduce Bill to him? I know I had to run him out of town a little too quickly for you. But he was dealing from the bottom, cheating honest folks. So, it was either that or 30 days. Should I talk to your husband about him? I’m sure Bill would be tickled pink to hear about him.”

When Pete had first mentioned the gambler, Mrs. Macvley’s face drained of blood. By the end of his speech, she was shaking and gasping for air. Without another word, she bolted from the room. The rest of the geese looked at each other in confusion, and scurried after April.

Quiet having returned to his domain Pete looked at the bottle of whiskey in his desk drawer. Damn, that looked good.

Finally Pete had an opportunity to talk to his friend and the man he considered the reason for the day’s disruption. Colonel Joshua Anderson was grinning him. “Pete, how the heck are you? have my new friends been behaving themselves?”

“Colonel, I wish you would come up with a better way to discourage escape attempts. Being trussed up like a hog is one thing, but parading them around stark naked just upsets the god-fearing folks around here. I also have a helluva time getting them into those nightshirts. They don’t think much of that pink color you’ve dyed them.”

“Pete, they may not like it, but it gets the point across. They aren’t here for comfort. And embarrassment just adds to what I’ve got planned next.”

When Colonel Anderson stepped onto the cellblock, he slowly walked down the passage between the four cells. He looked closely at each of the prisoners. When he got to the cell with the Powell brothers in it, he stopped. “Max, Jimmy, my name is Joshua Anderson. It’s my understanding that you were using my name earlier today. And on other occasions. This is painful to me. I place great pride in my name and reputation.”

Joshua then stepped up to the next cell. This contained the two unknown hard cases and the Mexican bandito. “I’m afraid we don’t have your names yet. We will eventually. Telegraphs are being sent out as I speak. And the Sheriff is going through his wanted posters.”

He then turned to the third cell. “You two boys are actually quite bothersome to me. I’m pretty sure that you two aren’t dangerous wanted desperados. More likely wayward children that have fallen in with evil companions. I doubt if you have ever done anything more illegal than swiping peppermint sticks from the grocer, or tipping over the school outhouse.”

Walking back to the doorway, he stopped and turned to face all of them. “Max and Jimmy, we have already sent word to the folks in Flagstaff that want you. It’s my understanding that they are delighted that you are in custody. They are sending deputies to take you home and give you your just reward. I’m afraid there’s nothing that can be done about its boys you have a date with the hangman.”

“Now, those nightshirts you’re wearing are embarrassing, I know. But they are there for a reason. If you were to escape, the folks here in Wilkins would spot you immediately, and we have a standing ten-dollar bounty for anybody wearing them. That and they aren’t very comfortable travel clothes. Max, Jimmy, those are what you’ll be wearing when you climb those 13 steps. That is if they don’t use the first convenient tree.”

“I also know that you won’t be too impressed with the menu you’ll have available during your stay. corn tortillas and water isn’t a very nutritious meal. But that’s all the city council is willing to pay for.”

“All in all, your stay here won’t be comfortable. But it could be even worse. It’s up to you. Behave yourselves, and it’ll be tolerable.”

“Or you could improve your personal situation. You’ll notice that there is a fourth cell. We have reserved that cell for those of you who are willing to cooperate. By cooperate, I mean answer some questions. It’s up to you. Better food, better clothes. And for you two young men, I might even be willing to talk to the judge and try to get a sentence reduction. Possibly even probation. It’s up to you.”

As expected, the Powell brothers remained sullenly silent. As were the three outlaws in the next cell. The two boys in the third cell started whispering between themselves. It seemed like a quiet argument was happening.

The older Powell, Max started yelling. “You little punks better keep your mouth shut. We may not get you, but the others will. They’ll hunt you down and kill you like dogs.”

Both youngster’s faces went pale, and they backed up against the rear of their cell. Max continued, “And if we can’t get to you, Washoe will. He’ll come after your family too. And you, Phil, he’ll take that floozy you’ve got in Reno and slice her into little pieces.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.