A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 9 - Kami - Cover

A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 9 - Kami

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Chapter 30: Celebration and Confrontation

December 11, 1995, Chicago, Illinois

“Do you have a moment?” Eve asked from the door to my office mid-morning on Monday.

“Sure. Come in. Penny is in Zo’s development team meeting.”

She slid the Japanese style door of the inner office shut and walked over to my desk.

“I had an idea about finding out what those two police recruits were up to.”

“Go on,” I said warily.

“I know the bar where the recruits hang out.”

I shook my head, “No. It’s way too dangerous. If they discovered you worked here...”

“I was thinking about my friend McKenzie.”

“No way,” I said firmly. “If we were going to do something like that, it would have to be someone from Global Security. But I think it’s best to leave it alone for the moment.”

“If you’re sure.”

“I am. No risks, Eve. If those jokers come back, we’ll know and we’ll do something.”

“I’m curious - did you have the place swept for bugs?”

I smiled, “Katya is ex-KGB. What do you think?”

Eve laughed, “Never mind. Of course you did!”

“How are you liking your new job?”

“It’s VERY different from what I was doing before, obviously, but so far I like it a lot. Doing phone support and then QA was pretty much repetitive work, while this is varied and lets me travel some, too.”

“I’m glad you’re happy.”

“Know what would make me happier?”

“What?”

She lowered her voice, “A good, hard fucking by my boss sometime this week!”

“Remember what I said about raising suspicions. Elyse is WAY smarter than you might realize.”

Eve shook her head, “No, I know she’s very smart and very observant. I heard from Kimmy that Elyse figured out you two were having nooners. I didn’t say it COULD happen, just that it would make me happier!”

I very much wanted to be with her, but there was no way we could take the risk, even if we tried to orchestrate a clandestine meeting. It would have to wait for the weekend.

“We can go shooting this weekend,” I said. “And if you know of a place we can go...”

She smirked, “My friend McKenzie’s apartment in Aurora. She won’t mind going out for a few hours.”

“It will have to be on Saturday,” I said. “Jesse is playing at the United Center on Sunday during an intermission.”

“Wow! That’s cool! How does that work?”

“His team won a tournament and won the right to play another team a three-period, fifteen-minute speed game between the first and second periods.”

“Got an extra ticket?”

“Actually, we’re using Alec’s box. We have room for a few more if you wanted to be there. But you know the rules.”

“Steve, you can stop reminding me. I KNOW how to have a discreet affair with a married man!”

“Sorry.”

“Seriously; have I done a SINGLE thing which might let on? Acted in any way that is unprofessional?”

“No.”

“And I won’t. If YOU are going to freak out about this, then we need to end it right now.”

I took a deep breath and let it out slowly, being careful not to sigh.

“You’re right, of course,” I acknowledged. “I won’t mention it again. I’ll let you know about Saturday, if you’re still game.”

She smiled, “Yes. Just be cool, Steve. YOU are the one who’s going to blow it, not me. Well, I will on Saturday, if you want!”

I laughed, “Get out of here!”

She winked, turned, slid the Japanese-style doors open, then walked through the «washitsu» room and out through the glass doors.

The rest of the day was uneventful, and that evening, after putting the kids to bed, Kara, Jessica, and I went to the ‘Indian’ room to have tea and relax before walking Jessica to work.

“Your friend Donna is really sweet,” Jessica said. “And she just took everything in stride.”

“She was around the nascent circus when I was fifteen and sixteen,” I chuckled. “And I saw her a few times after that.”

“Will she visit again?”

“Probably, but we didn’t make definite plans before she left early this morning. We’ll see what happens.”

“Did you hear from Molly?”

“Yes. She has another meeting with her sensei on Saturday, and if she’s right, he’s going to call Sensei Jim and allow her to transfer to our dojo. And that means I’ll need to make good on the promise to spend the night with her once before the end of the year.”

“That’s fine, Tiger. Kara and I said we didn’t have any issues. Did Michelle call you?”

“Yes, and I’ll see her on Sunday evening, after we watch Jesse at the United Center.”

“That’s going to be a hell of a day,” Jessica said. “The game is mid-afternoon.”

“Jesse told you it would be OK if you missed it, Babe.”

“He was sweet about it, but I WANT to see it. It’s going to be really cool.”

“Whatever you want to do, Babe. Just be sure you get enough sleep.”

She smiled, “I will.”

“I want to go shooting with Eve on Saturday afternoon, if that’s OK.”

Both of my wives nodded their approval.

“It’s really down to her now, isn’t it?” Kara asked. “I mean after you see Molly once more?”

“Yes. And on a different topic, Doctor Whittaker confirmed she’ll be in Chicago on January 11th. I told her we’d put her up and she took me up on the offer. She’ll be here until the 14th. She’s going to be at an endocrinology conference, so on Thursday and Friday she won’t do anything but sleep here. She’ll hang out with us on Saturday evening and go home on Sunday.”

Kara smirked, “Another girl whose name starts with ‘M’!”

“No chance, Honey! She’s my doctor and that is the epitome of a dual relationship!”

“So, a girl you can play doctor with whom you can’t ‘play doctor’ with?” she teased.

“Exactly. She is cute, though! Perhaps I’ll invite her to the sauna!”

Jessica and Kara both laughed, and I joined them. I certainly wouldn’t mind seeing Mary Whittaker naked, but that had to be the limit. Both Bethany and Doctor Mercer had impressed on me the problems created by ‘dual relationships’ and it would be foolish to mess up the relationship I was developing with her.

“Before I forget,” I continued, “I confirmed our reservations at Alex’s place, and confirmed that the Jaegers and Quinns will join us.”

“Ten years!” Kara exclaimed. “You know what that means!”

“Lots of sex!” Jessica declared happily.

“With the Jaegers and Quinns?” I asked breathlessly.

“Riiiiiggggghhhhhttttt!” Kara laughed. “You, Kurt, and Tom? I’d PAY to see that!”

“That is NOT what I meant, and you know it!” I retorted.

“Oh, and they would just let you have their wives without a quid pro quo?” Jessica asked with a smirk.

“Well, no. But I have some excellent possessions to offer in trade!”

I was instantly pounded with pillows by both my wives, who didn’t stop until they were out of breath, from the combination of exertion and laughter.

“Anyway,” I continued, as if nothing had happened, “they’ll join us at home for a sauna and drinks. The limo I hired to take us all to dinner will take them home afterwards. The boys are going to stay with Jesse and the girls will stay with our girls.”

“Poor Jennifer!” Kara laughed. “Nicholas, Bobby, and Keith are a handful!”

“And the girls aren’t?” I countered.

“It’s different! Who’s watching the girls?”

“Jackie and Jamie offered because Elyse is going to be out with Eduardo and the boys. I accepted their offer. And, looking at my watch, we need to get going.”

Kara and I cleaned up the tea, while Jessica went to dress, and then the three of us set out for the hospital. We had to take a slightly different route due to the construction project. The new ER building was shaping up, but it was still nearly ten months before its scheduled completion. As usual, Kara and I kissed Jessica, and after she went inside, Kara and I held hands and turned for home.

“Do you think Donna might be interested?”

I shook my head, “No. She declared this weekend the fulfillment of a fantasy, and I’d be willing to bet we never make love again.”

“What?!” Kara gasped.

“I think she understands the situation perfectly,” I replied. “And she doesn’t want to go down a path which can’t possibly lead where her daydreams would wish it to go. We’ll stay in touch, and be friends, but not lovers. It makes perfect sense to me.”

“That is NOT what I would have expected, especially given how much she loves you.”

I nodded, “That’s exactly why. And have you noticed something interesting?”

“You mean about Donna? Or in general?”

“In general.”

Kara was quiet for a moment, “The girls are mostly closer to your age and all of them seem to have their heads screwed on straight about exactly what you can give them. And the relationships are relatively short-term. Well, I guess Eve will be longer, though it’s more occasional and you can’t really have any public interactions except your shooting.”

I nodded, “And it all goes back to the whole notion of ‘adult affairs’ I discovered with Elena.”

“I really would like to meet her!”

“There’s a fashion show in Chicago next Summer she’s planning to attend.”

“So I guess the bottom line is to cross Donna off my list?” Kara teased.

“You know I’m a bit uncomfortable with this whole idea.”

“I know. But remember what I said - you can always say ‘no’.”

December 15, 1995, Chicago, Illinois

“Happy Tenth Anniversary!” Alex exclaimed when the seven of us walked into Bucktown Bistro on Friday night.

“Thanks, Alex!” I replied.

“We have you in a private area in the new space. It’s not quite ready for ‘prime time’ but I’m not afraid for you to see it without the final coat of paint, as it were! And it lets you be a bit more exuberant if you wish!”

I smirked, “That depends on whether or not Sam is involved.”

“Oooh!” she cooed. “Sounds like fun!”

“I think we’ll have only MALE staff wait on you this evening,” Alex laughed, having learned to be good natured about our innocent flirting.

“We’re not enough for you, Mr. Adams?” Kathy asked coquettishly.

“That all depends on whether or not...”

“Stop!” Kurt interrupted, trying to control his laughter.

“Will you seat them, please?” Alex asked Sam.

“Of course!” she said, winking at me.

She led the seven of us through a doorway, then down a short hallway where we were seated in a private room which seated ten. It was done in muted colors, with romantic lighting and reproductions of classical paintings. The Jaegers and Quinns sat on one side of the table, and Kara, Jessica, and I moved to the other, leaving the seats at the head and foot of the table empty. Just before I sat down, Sam grabbed me and gave me a quick peck on the lips.

“Happy anniversary!” she said with a wink.

“Run along and tell Alex what you just did,” I chuckled.

“Someone will be along to get your drink orders in a moment,” she said, then left the room.

“I like the decor,” Bethany said. “How much extra space did he take?”

“He basically doubled the size of the restaurant,” I replied. “The kitchen, which is already done, is about 50% larger, and the rest is private dining space, half of which can be opened to the main dining room. He could actually accommodate our NIKA Christmas Party this year without shoehorning us in. He’ll open these areas formally on Thursday for the party.”

The waiter arrived and took our drink orders, and when he returned, Alex joined him, carrying a bottle of champagne and an ice-filled urn.

“Compliments of the house,” he grinned. “Ten years is a pretty good run.”

“And fifty or sixty to go!” I grinned.

“Or more,” Bethany said. “Your family has really good genes! Your dad is almost eighty and is healthy as a horse! And your grandparents on your mom’s side are closing in on 100!”

“They’ve been married sixty-five years,” I replied. “That’s a damned good run for anyone!”

“I spoke with Steve and I have something very special prepared for you. I’ve taken into account Steve’s low-carb diet, as well as Tom’s seafood allergies.”

“Thanks, Steve,” Tom said with a nod.

“You’re welcome.”

“Our first course is French onion soup, baked in the oven with a personal mix of cheeses.”

As if by magic, two waiters entered and served us our bowls of soup which looked as if they were encased in cheese. We dug into the bowls, which also contained homemade croutons, though I observed my soup had fewer than the others. I’d impressed on Alex after Jessica had interfered in the past that I was OK with some carbs, and it wouldn’t be an issue as I didn’t do it very often.

“Out of this world, as usual,” I said when Alex returned after a few minutes to check on us.

He nodded and left. About five minutes later he returned with a waiter who served small salads with ‘Bucktown Vinaigrette’ dressing. It, too, was excellent, and was followed by the main course of thinly-sliced teriyaki beef served with mixed vegetables in butter as well as a small dollop of garlic and cheese mashed potatoes. The main course was followed by a small bowl of lemon sorbet to clear our palates, and then a rich fudge cake with drizzled hot fudge and pecans. A waiter poured either regular or decaf coffee for everyone.

“Damn, Alex!” Kurt said when he put a forkful of cake in his mouth.

“Thought you might like that!” he grinned. “And, Doctor Jessica, you will take note that Steve’s piece is only half the size of the others.”

“Somebody has to watch out for my girlish figure,” I teased.

“Watch it, Mr. Adams!” Bethany warned. “I don’t have to eat ALL the cake!”

“Just aim for my mouth please!” I grinned.

Kurt and Tom looked at each other, smirked, and together exclaimed, “That’s what she said!”

Everyone broke up laughing, including Sam who had appeared at the door just then.

“Ignore the little boys!” Kathy declared, trying without success to stop laughing.

When we finished our meal, Alex brought in a tray with several boxes on it. Following my instructions, he handed boxes first to Jessica and Kara.

“Tiger,” Jessica said sternly. “We said no gifts!”

I smiled, “No, YOU said no gifts! Do you recall my response?”

“Let me guess,” Kathy laughed. “He said ‘Yes, Babe’ in a flat tone of voice.”

“Got it right the first time!” I grinned.

Jessica rolled her eyes, but she and Kara opened their boxes, gasping at the bracelets with ten small emeralds. I helped them each put them on, and then Alex handed Bethany and Kathy boxes as well.

“What’s going on, Steve?” Kathy asked.

“Forget it, Kathy,” Kurt laughed. “You know darn well where he got his ideas of how to show his friends he cares. He certainly can’t show it the OTHER way!”

Kathy and Bethany looked at each other, smirked, and jointly sighed, “Bummer!”

“I don’t recall my vows including anything remotely like this!” Tom laughed.

“She said she warned you in advance!” I protested.

“She did.”

The girls opened their boxes and found similar bracelets, though they only had tiny emerald chips, as I knew I couldn’t go overboard with them.

“Very nice,” Tom said approvingly.

“Tommy, may I PLEASE thank him properly?” Bethany asked.

Tom nodded, and for the first time since she’d started dating him seriously, we exchanged a soft French kiss. When we broke it, she put her lips to my ear and whispered, “I love you.”

I simply smiled and accepted an equally soft kiss from Kathy. On cue, Alex handed Tom and Kurt boxes.

“I’d protest,” Tom said, “but I know it will do no good at all.”

They opened their boxes and extracted the enclosed envelopes which contained certificates good for ten rounds of golf at the club where they played with Pete, Jamie, Jon, and some of the other men.

“Do you HAVE to feed that habit?” Kathy laughed. “I’m already a golf widow on the weekends during the Summer!”

“I promise to take very good care of you if you come visit!” I grinned. “Bring Bethany, too!”

“I sense an ulterior motive here,” Tom laughed.

“And you know you have nothing to worry about, Tommy,” Bethany said. “Which is why we talked about my relationship with Steve before we started dating seriously.”

“Getting used to the circus, Tom?” Kurt asked.

“I’m being punished for a misspent youth!” he laughed. “And not the way that’s usually meant!”

“Tell me about it!” Kurt laughed. “I met Kathy when I was a Sophomore at Northwestern. Think of all those girls there who missed out!”

“You had your chance, Mr. Jaeger!” Kathy said with a twinkle in her eye. “YOU chose to go steady with me as soon as you could!”

“Does the man LOOK like an idiot?” I asked.

“He is a guy...” she smirked. “Or as Kara likes to say, ‘MEN!’, with suitable disdain!”

“Something for which I believe you are very happy at certain times, at least!” Kara teased. “Steve may engender the ‘MEN!’ exasperation from time to time, but I sure don’t want to complain about him being a man at those OTHER times!”

“Me either!” Jessica smirked. “And once we get home, it’s going to be one of those other times!”

“Now YOU’RE an exhibitionist?” I grinned. “We’re having a joint sauna when we get home!”

“AFTER that, you dope!” she laughed. “And that is one thing that Penny has exactly right about you!”

“After twelve years, she’d know!” Kara declared. “And ask his sister!”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.