The Administrator - Cover

The Administrator

Copyright© 2020 by Westside24

Chapter 4

Doug was getting ready to go into the office the next morning when he heard his cell phone start buzzing. Going to pick it up he hoped it wasn’t a telemarketer and he could see that it wasn’t. The caller ID indicated the caller was Lisa.

“Good morning Lisa. Is there a problem that you are calling me this early?”

“No, no problem at all. It’s just that I thought I would catch you before you came to the office. We are not operational yet so there is no reason for you to come in and I am expecting some deliveries today and tomorrow. Take the time off and come in Monday. How did it go with Tom Carrol?”

“It went fine and I think it is going work out for him and eventually for us. Instead of renting an office, he is purchasing a newly constructed building. Jeff and Amy should be happy with him opening his practice there. I will take your advice and not come in till Monday but there are things for me to do today. I will go and see Brad Stevens since I need to discuss with him as well as give him some paperwork on what I agreed to do for Tom and what Brad needs to do. Anything I should know?”

“Not really, I placed the ads in those journals and magazines you wanted but the earliest they will be published in late next week. Because of that, I placed an ad in Sunday’s Tribune and Times which could drum up some business.”

“Good thinking and I will see you Monday.”

Doug phoned Brad and was told he was available after lunch today.

The meeting with Brad went well. Initially, Brad expressed some concern about what Doug had agreed to do for Tom and the amount of the loan. When Doug told him this was something that Jeff and Amy wanted to be done and why Brad’s concern vanished. Brad said he understood what he needed to do and said he would handle it., On another subject, Doug asked Brad if he had any suggestions as to how new business for these low-cost loans could be solicited. Off the top of his head, Brad said he didn’t but if anything comes to mind he will give Doug a call.

Back at his home, Doug composed and sent an email to Jeff about his meeting with Tom and what he agreed to along with the specifics of the loan. He thought this was what they wanted him to do. The reaction he would get from Jeff would tell Doug if he was on the right track in doing this loan business.

It was about an hour late that Doug received a response from Jeff. It was a one-word response that said, “Great.”

With nothing else on his calendar to do, Doug took care of some personal business.

On Saturday evening Doug decided to go to the Red Rattler Lounge in the hope he could get lucky and find some female companionship. It turned out he didn’t get lucky but that he thought wouldn’t stop him from giving it another try in the future.

Driving to the office Monday morning Doug couldn’t help but wondered a little about what Lisa had accomplished as to furnishing the office. He knew of course that just seeing Lisa and being in her company was one great office furnishing.

Walking into the office he stopped and took a good look. He noticed the nice new chairs in the reception area as well as Lisa’s new desk and chair, a notebook computer on her desk, the two-drawer file cabinet, and her nameplate. There were pictures on the walls and a fake tall flower plant in one corner.

Lisa walked in from the back of the office carrying a cup of coffee. She stopped and saw Doug and waving her other hand at what was there said, “What do you think?”

“I am impressed but not surprised as you do have good taste.”

“Take a look at your office and the back area.”

Doug did and could see in his office the three similar chairs there as those in the reception area along with a matching desk and credenza but a different more executive type of chair for him along with a two-drawer file cabinet. He inwardly smiled noticing his nameplate that was on his desk as well as the new notebook computer. He also noticed the two pictures that were on the walls and thought they were in good taste.

Lisa then took him to the back of the building and pointed out the supply room which appeared to have ample supplies. Doug also noticed the copy machine, fax machine, printer, coffee machine, microwave, and refrigerator along with miscellaneous furniture and some other items. She told him the landline phones were operational along with the internet.

“You have outdone yourself and are to be complimented on what you have accomplished in such a short time. Now if we could have some business things would be perfect.”

As he finished saying that they both heard the phone ringing and Lisa went to answer it.

She came back to Doug a short time later and said, “On the phone was Charles Gomez who saw our ad in the Tribune. He was inquiring if we would consider giving him a loan as he wants to purchase a food truck and start a business with that truck. I gave him a one o’clock appointment.”

“When he comes in give him an application to complete and I will talk to him after he has completed it,” said Doug.

Coming back from lunch with Lisa, Doug saw a young man who looked to be in his late twenties standing by the locked office door. They introduced themselves and invited Charles into the office.

It was about twenty minutes later that Lisa showed Charles into Doug’s office and handed Doug a completed application. Doug perused the application and asked Charles some questions.

“Tell me about this food truck you are asking for a loan to purchase.”

“It is a relatively new completely outfitted truck that was owned by Mr. Valdez which is now available to be purchased. The reason that this truck is available is that Mr. Valdez who was a good man was shot and killed in a drive-by shooting. Why he was shot we don’t know if it was accidental or intentional and the police are investigating but so far they have no leads. I worked during the summers when I was going to school and on the weekends with Mr. Valdez. I know what to do and I know this would be a good business to be in. My wife is going to help me and her mother will babysit our new baby while she does.”

“I see where you had six years in the Army, why did you get out?”

Charles didn’t say anything and just pulled up the pants on his right leg for Doug to see the prosthetic device that was there.

“It was a roadside bomb in Afghanistan on my second tour there.”

That sealed the deal as far as Doug was concerned in Charles receiving a loan but Doug did ask a few more questions. Doug inquired if Charles needed additional money to purchase supplies and insurance but Charles said he had sufficient funds to do that.

Doug concluded the interview by saying they will do a quick check of his references and the information he put down on the application along with doing a credit check. If it all checks out and he doesn’t know why it wouldn’t, Charles will be given the loan he requested. The loan, Doug says will have a one point two percent interest rate and that will start with the first payment due in one hundred and twenty days after he receives the funds. Attorney Brad Stevens will contact him to do the final paperwork and issue him the check.

The smile on Charles’s face was infectious as he stood and shook Doug’s hand and thanked him. Doug said he is the one who should be thanking him for his service.

After Charles left the office Doug told Lisa about the interview and the good feeling he gets when he can help someone like Tom and now Charles. He asked her to do the necessary checks and if there is no problem fax the application along with his write-up of the interview he will give her to Brad to process the loan. Making a copy for the office file was an unsaid given.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.