Royally Never After - Cover

Royally Never After

Copyright© 2019 by radio_guy

Chapter 9

We wandered around Savannah for a short while before leaving for the airport in a limo. The company jet was waiting and we rolled out shortly after we boarded.

We landed to be met by another limo. We were taken to lunch at the Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle. We had great meals. Roger particularly liked their fried chicken. I put some fried green tomatoes on his plate and he loved them. He said, “Jar, any time you put food on my plate, I will eat it.”

“I’ll remember that.” I grinned.

He grinned back. Mason and Anna were both laughing quietly.

After lunch, I was dropped off. There would be a fancy dinner tonight and the limo would pick me up. Anna confided in me that a mini-dress would be appropriate this evening if I wanted to wear that. She smiled, “Jar, you look great. Even Mason looks.”

I grinned. “I may wear slacks tonight.”

Anna gave me a hug as I got out. I wheeled my small case inside my condo.

Once inside, I slipped my shoes off and opened a canned lemonade. I sat on my couch and took it easy. I looked at my phone and saw that I had two messages. One was from Moira, Mo, telling me again that she would be ready at ten Saturday morning wearing shorts and bringing a bathing suit. If she should do anything different, I should call her. I smiled and erased that message since that just verified the plan. The other message was from my neighbor at my parents’ place. She was a widow and was asking for me to stop by next time I was in town. I usually did and made a mental note to do that next time I was there. I set a timer for two hours and napped.

At seven, I was ready, freshly showered and wearing an LBD, a Little Blue Dress. I felt comfortable in this dress and was ready for a party. The limo rolled up and I walked out to get inside. Roger was in back waiting.

I was surprised. “What are you doing here, Roger?”

“I am your escort and dinner partner tonight. I thought it polite that I be in the limo with you when you made your appearance.”

I shrugged. “Thank you, Roger.” It was unnecessary though it is nice of you.”

We rode to the Anderson’s in silence. Once there, the driver came around to hold the door. I got out first because I was closer. I could feel Roger’s stare and I felt his disapproval. I didn’t worry about it. Roger was still a work in progress as far as I was concerned. I did wait for him to get out of the limo. We walked together but neither of us touched the other.

We were directed to double doors which were opened for our entrance. I saw that we were having cocktails. I smiled and walked to the bar. I asked, “What beers do you have?”

The bartender was slightly surprised but stammered out the choices. I asked for the darkest one which was a Heineken brand. I had had it before and knew that I liked it. The bartender opened it and poured it into a fluted glass. I grimaced. “Beer should be from the bottle or from a mug. For the next one I request, please do it right.” I walked away with my beer in its fluted glass. Roger had a screwdriver and specified vodka and the brand. He caught up with me. “Jar...”

I cut him off. “I think you should go back to Miss Roberts.”

At that moment, Mason walked up with his father and Anna. Mister Anderson was first to say, “Good evening, Jar. You look great tonight.”

“Thank you, Sir.” I looked over at Anna. “Anna, my friend, you’re looking good tonight. Hi, Mason.”

They all smiled. Mason said, “Good evening, Roger. Are you accompanying Jar this evening?”

He said, “I believe I am supposed to be with Miss Roberts.”

Anna looked at Roger. “What did you do out of line?”

He looked embarrassed. “I glowered at her when she left the limo first.”

Anna grinned at him and said, “You have to mind your manners with Jar.” She looked at me. “Jar, I wish you would come to Landers as my guest. I think I could use your help. My father is here and I want you to meet him.”

I nodded. Roger said, “Father is here?” He didn’t sound happy at that news.

At that moment, an older man approached us. Charles said, “King Marcus, I want to introduce you to the young lady with my company who has escorted your son this week. She is a highly valued employee of my company. Please meet Miss Joycelyn Roberts, who goes by Jar from her college sports days.”

He stepped up to me and bowed to my hand taking it in his. “Miss Roberts, it is an honor to meet you.” He kissed my hand! I was impressed.

“Thank you, Sir. It has been an enjoyable week. My friend, Anna, is a great person to travel with my car or by plane.”

“Is my son, Roger, not as much fun?” The man was quick.

‘He has his moments. I think he finds American women different from those of Landers.” I grinned. “He does seem to learn.”

Roger was blushing. After a moment, he said, “Hello, Father. I didn’t know you would be here.”

“Anna asked me to spend the weekend here.”

Roger nodded. “I hope your visit is pleasant and goes well.”

“Thank you, Roger. It has been good to see the two of you and to meet in person the redoubtable Miss Roberts.”

Roger said a little ruefully, “She is all of that, Father.”

“Miss Jar, what are you drinking?” I wasn’t chugging it but wasn’t sipping it either.

I smiled, “It’s a Heineken dark variety. I like it. The fluted glass was the bartender’s idea.”

He chuckled. “From what Charles tells me, you would prefer a bottle or a mug.”

“That’s true. I’m not impressed with this glass. I don’t drink much and never to impress others.”

He smiled. “I hope you’ll accept my daughter’s invitation to come to Landers. I think you would be a breath of fresh air in our small country. I think your presence inspires confidence in her own heart. I can think of other reasons for you to come also. I hope you will consider it.”

“Thank you for the urging, I am considering it. I do have a job and things going on here in which I participate.”

I noticed that the Prince showed some brains by keeping his mouth shut during all this. He had already screwed up his slight store of goodwill from the past few days.

The King asked, “Is it true that you ‘decked’ my son?”

“Only once. He was angry and was going to hit me. The other time he got in trouble, it wasn’t with me but two men who didn’t like his attitude. One of them decked him. I ended things with them before it developed into a fight.”

He chuckled. “Charles had told me that you had considerable abilities beyond your brains and undeniable beauty.”

I replied, “Thank you. Mister Anderson is kind.”

Mason said, “Dad, how about it? Will you arrange for Jar to go?”

“Yes, Mason. Fortunately, all this came with her between projects. However, it can only be for one week. I need her back here to resolve some issues for her next project which includes a promotion.”

I said nothing. I didn’t mind going but I enjoyed my work and living where I lived. One of the reasons I had applied at Mister Anderson’s company was that it was based here. I liked and like this area. He had a division manager’s job coming open due to a retirement and I wanted it.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.