Royally Never After - Cover

Royally Never After

Copyright© 2019 by radio_guy

Chapter 8

Roger said, “You drink beer?”

“That’s right. I like the taste and it’s a better deal financially. At one time, that was more important than it is now. When I played in college, we would have a beer after most games.”

“Jar, I’m surprised you don’t have a steady guy or are married.”

“That hasn’t and isn’t my interest. I like my independence and haven’t found a guy who can stay with me.”

“What qualities does this super guy have?”

“He was to be smart, a gentleman, physically able, have a faith of which he’s not ashamed, and it would help if he’s not too bad looking though that’s not really important.”

“I guess such a guy is a rarity.”

“He has been so far. I’ve grown tired of the pretenders. I had rather sit at home with a good book than go with someone I consider a loser. I’m also not afraid of drinking by myself either.”

“No, I don’t think you would be afraid of anything.”

“Roger, why did you make this trip?”

“My father insisted I accompany my sister. The situation with Anna and Mason had become serious. I expect them to marry.”

“I can see that they really care for each other. What about you?”

“I have an aunt who has lined up a number of approved females for me. I know most of them and haven’t been impressed. I don’t have your requirements but they have to at least be intelligent and decorative at a minimum.”

“What about your mother?”

“My mother died of cancer eight years ago. My father and I miss her still.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Thank you. What about your parents?”

“They’re both dead. Mom had cancer and a year later, Dad was killed in a car wreck. I still own and visit their old home. I live in a condo here for work. The house is on fifty acres that’s mostly wooded. I enjoy the outdoors. I hunt my property and have a small pond that I fish.”

“Jar, would you be willing to come to Landers for a visit?”

“Not really. I don’t there is anything there I might want or need to do.”

“You might come for my sister.”

“That would be her call and request not her brother’s.”

“I would like you to come to Landers, too.”

“Roger, other than showing your aunt the shortcomings of her royally blessed ladies, it would serve no purpose.” I smiled a bit grimly. “I still remember Prince Asshole who wouldn’t shake hands with a commoner when he was introduced to her.”

His eyes looked troubled. “I would hope to show you that I have learned a permanent lesson. I think your presence would help my sister and enlighten some deserving souls. You have sure enlightened mine.” He reached across the table. “Jar, you have enlightened me, a lot, and continue to impress me. I would like to think that I could impress you.” He gave my hand a gentle squeeze. He then backed off.

I finished my beer. “I’m having one more tonight. Do you want another drink?” He nodded. I held my glass up and caught our server’s eye. I used two fingers to point at both of us for refills. She nodded and went to the bar. It gave me time to think.

She was quick. When she brought our drinks, I said, “I’ll close out our tab. Thank you.” She nodded and left with the card.

Roger smirked. “I told you she wouldn’t notice me when she found out I wasn’t paying.” He looked at me eye to eye. “You haven’t responded to my request yet.”

I said, “Roger, I can understand what’s in it for you but I don’t see what’s in it for me. I have nothing to prove to people, particularly to people I don’t know and won’t know unless I go there.”

He took a breath. “Jar, other than a luxurious vacation and helping a friend, not much really. We would give you a room in the castle and show you around. I think Anna would appreciate having you around. She doesn’t have many friends and I think she considers you one. I think you would really help her with her romance with Mason. My father needs to lighten up on her. You would help her with that. I will help her, too. Jar, I love my sister. I think she and Mason are in love but it’s going to be tough on her. My father needs to get his head out of his ass. You shine at helping people with that.” He grinned.

I intentionally didn’t smile back. “Roger, I have a job which I have no intention of giving up. I’m good at it and had just finished a project that resulted in a promotion. I have a great group of friends at my church and will be playing on a softball team that’s part of a league in another two weeks. We start practicing next Tuesday.” I paused. “What I’m telling you is that I have a life and I am not willing to give it up.”

He smiled gently. “Jar, I’m not giving up. Would you permit me to go to church with you Sunday?”

He did have a good smile. “I’m always willing to bring people to church. Sunday school starts at nine forty-five. Church is at eleven and goes until twelve of shortly thereafter. Have the limo drop you off at my place at nine twenty. I’ll drive and drive you to Mason’s place for lunch after the service.”

He nodded. “Sounds great to me. What should I wear?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.