Royally Never After - Cover

Royally Never After

Copyright© 2019 by radio_guy

Chapter 19

We arrived back and went to our room, well the sitting area in my suite. It had become a popular meeting point. A moment later, Angela and Roger waked in from the hall.

He said, “Jar, excitement seems to follow you wherever you go.” He chuckled. Angela smiled. “A couple of those idiots were injured when you thought they had guns instead of cameras.”

I grinned. “It was a simple mistake since they had mounted their cameras on gun-stocks. Since they were charging us, we took reasonable precautions. It wasn’t a smart thing for them to have done.”

Roger chuckled. “Yes, I learned that lesson the hard way. You put me on my ass, Jar.”

Angela asked, “What do you mean, Roger?”

“Before I learned manners, I was going to slap Jar for some reason. I wasn’t successful. She put me on my ass pretty hard. I learned about southern women.”

He grinned widely. “Hopefully, what I have learned will help me for many years.”

We all chuckled a bit.

I looked at Jam. “Let’s go out to the garden and pray. I have the sheet of paper in my pocket.” He nodded. We stood holding hands.

Angela asked, “Where are the two of you going?”

“Ange, we’re going out to the garden to pray. I have the list of those killed in my pocket.”

She nodded and stood. That didn’t surprise me. I knew my friend had a strong, praying faith. Roger didn’t release her hand so came with us. We went out to a shaded area with two love seats. We sat down after I pulled the sheet from my jeans. Those jeans were tight enough that digging into a pocket was best done while standing.

We had pulled the two love seats closer together. I placed the sheet of paper face up on my legs. Jam said, “Let’s pray.” He prayed for each of us, the three couples naming Anna and Mason. Then, I named Angela and Roger. Angela named us. Jam picked up then with the name of the first person on the list including his family. I prayed for the second one. She was single and the only child of her parents. Angela prayed for the third one. Roger said, “Berthold had just promoted him to Sargent. His parents were very proud.” Roger took the sheet and named the fourth one. His voice cracked, “God, I’m not practiced at this but I knew Andre for many years. He had married just over a year ago. I pray for his soul and for Marie to have peace for her loss.” He handed the sheet to Jam. We continued to pray in turn until every person’s name had been mentioned out loud.

Roger was pretty broken up. He had known each person, some for years. Angela had her arm around him. I had finished the list. Angela prayed for Roger to have peace from God for the losses. She then said, “This we pray, in Jesus’ name.” We all said, “Amen.”

We sat together quietly for a while. Roger seemed to feel better. I felt Jam’s arm around me and I felt better. No one was in a hurry to leave.

We were there well over an hour before we started to stand. Roger said, “Thank you. Each of you has helped me understand faith better and have some peace of mind over those killed.”

We left the garden to return to the suite of rooms area. We sat down there again. Anna and Mason walked in a few minutes later. Anna said, “Tonight’s supper should be informal.” She looked at Roger. “I talked to father. There will be a memorial service tomorrow afternoon. We are expected to attend.”

I asked, “What kind of church is here?”

Roger said, “It’s the Church of Landers. Here, there is the big church. There are three other outlying churches that each have their own rector. The Bishop is in charge and presides over the services at the big church.”

I said, “Roger, you know that Angela, Jam, and I are members of the Methodist Church. Is the Church of Landers part of any denomination?”

“It comes from the German and Dutch protestant churches. Pastors are trained at approved schools and appointed by the Bishop. The King appoints the Bishop from among the pastors.”

“Oh. That’s different but I guess it works. Will we be allowed to participate fully?”

Roger grinned. “Without a doubt. My father is the titular head of the church and has so proclaimed it. We met with the Bishop while you were out causing trouble.”

“We weren’t causing trouble. We were attacked by paparazzi and saw what looked like guns. We merely defended ourselves.”

Roger grinned. “Jar, you just don’t do victim well.”

“I don’t plan to ever do that well.” I grinned back.

Jam asked, “What is the plan for tonight?”

“We’ll eat supper, dear.” I grinned at him.

Roger said, “Dinner will be informal though shorts are not appropriate. However, it does mean that no coats and ties for men or fancy dresses for the ladies. The meal will be served at seven thirty.”

I looked at the time to know there was plenty of time. However, I decided to move my clothing choices up a bit. I told Jam and he agreed that changing clothes was a good idea.

We continued to sit on the love seat with his arm around me just enjoying the other’s presence until seven. We nodded and got up heading for our respective bedrooms. Angela followed me. “What are you going to wear, Jar?”

“I haven’t totally decided, Ange. I want to step up the level just a bit. I’m thinking slacks and a pretty blouse with my low-heeled sandals.” I laid the appropriate items on the bed as I said that thinking about how the combination would look. I decided that it would look good.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.