Royally Never After - Cover

Royally Never After

Copyright© 2019 by radio_guy

Chapter 13

He drove us to his parents;’ house and parked. This time, I let him open the door and hand me out. I said, “You know that’s not necessary.”

“True. However, I was raised to do that for a lady. Jar, you’re definitely a lady. You’re an independent, capable lady. I want you at my side whenever and for as long as you’re willing.”

“Jam, we’re working on that.”

We came inside to see his parents quietly talking. Jam said, “I need to pack for the week. I’ll leave Jar here to talk to you.”

Missus Madison asked, “Well, what’s happening between you two?”

Mister Madison said, “He’s never left another girl with us before. Actually, he’s never even brought another girl home before.” He chuckled.

I said, “Missus Madison, the quick answer is that we don’t know yet. There has been a lot of attraction that got things started but we’re both in uncharted territory. However, we’re going to be together all week which should be informative and, hopefully, fun.” I shrugged. “We will have to be patient and determine where any relationship might be going.”

“Do either of you have any hopes?”

“No, sir. We just haven’t any experience and no direction yet.

“Jam hasn’t had the chance to tell you but we fly out tonight, transferring planes in Brussels for the final leg to Landers. We’ll have to sleep on the plane because everything will start up Monday at noon. There will be a state dinner tomorrow night. I’ll be back in a dress then. No way was I going to fly all night in a dress.”

Missus Madison said, “It also means you don’t have to worry about a skirt riding up while you sleep.” I nodded.

Mister Madison said, “I’m sure Jam had been hopeful though.”

I grinned. “He’ll just have to use his memory. After all, he met me while I was wearing shorts and later my swim suit. It’s totally brief.”

Jam came into the room pulling a case about the same size as mine. “It’s a picture I will keep in my mind for a long time and then smile fondly.”

Changing the subject, Jam said, “We’ll be here until nine. We’ll have to leave for the Anderson’s to ride to the airport and get on our plane. I thought we would have dinner and continue to talk.”

Missus Madison asked, “What about your parents, Jar?”

“Mom died of cancer while I was a freshman in college. I went through a tough semester though we had had time to say good bye to each other. Worse, actually, was Dad being killed in a wreck. He was hit by a rich drunk and the insurance paid off. Mom’s death had affected both of us and we hadn’t left anything unsaid thankfully. I miss them both. I still own the farm though it’s trees and not planting fields. Mom had been a teacher and Dad sold equipment traveling a lot. I’m an only child so had no siblings. My parents were, too. I’ve had to make a life. The church here has been good as was the one where we had lived.”

Jam then said, “She’s popular at work and successful. Mason says Jar is one of his dad’s favorite people. She’s a hard, intelligent worker and always speaks her mind.” He chuckled. “Mason said that Roger was given the nickname of Prince Asshole after their first meeting. Her opinion, or more accurately, Roger’s attitude has changed.

“Also, did she tell you that she hunts and fishes? She also is a practitioner of martial arts. She played fast-pitch softball though high school and college.”

Missus Madison said, “You’ve found out a lot about her in a short amount of time.” She smiled. “I guess you know he’s a fresh lawyer who will practice with his father. He ran track in high school and college. He hunts, too. The buck in his bedroom is his. He hauled it out by himself while in high school. When my parents passed away, my brothers and sisters wanted to sell off the property. Jim bought four hundred acres of it that had never been farmed or cut. We’ve held on to it over the years. That’s where they hunt. We built a small house on the property a few years ago. It makes a fine get away.”

I nodded. “I know I could sell the old place but it’s paid for and I like to get away on weekends. It’s close enough since it’s only an hour’s drive from here.”

A clock chimed the hour softly. Missus Madison stood. I have to do some cooking. I’ll be back.”

I stood. “Let me help.”

“Mom, she’s a great cook.”

“I’ll be glad of some competent help in the kitchen.” She grinned. “Come on, Jar.”

The men followed us. Once in the kitchen, Missus Madison started me on some vegetables for supper. She was working on a roast that had been marinating. She put it in and joined me in working on vegetables. Jam went to the fridge and offered beer or wine. He capped his offer by saying, “We have dark beer if you want it, Jar.”

“Thank you, Jam. You know what I like.” He got three bottles out, opened them and poured the beer into mugs carefully to prevent too much foam. He handed one to me and another to his father. He took up another. “Mom, may I get you something?”

“A diet Coke, please.” He pulled a can from the fridge and poured it into a glass over ice. I saw and approved.

When we finished, Missus Madison and I joined Jam and her husband at the kitchen table. Missus Madison asked, “Jar, where did you learn to cook?”

“When Mom died, lessons from her stopped. Dad hired a housekeeper to cook for us and she continued my lessons. She was a graduate of a culinary school and insisted that I learn to prepare and cook properly. It stuck. It makes cooking easier and quicker than if I had no experience. I enjoy cooking though don’t get much chance. I travel in my work or, at least, have up until now. Mister Anderson has said that I’m being promoted when I return from Landers.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.