Royally Never After - Cover

Royally Never After

Copyright© 2019 by radio_guy

Chapter 1

I’ve been keeping a journal at the recommendation of my dad. He passed away four years ago but I’ve continued to write this some in his memory but mostly because it helps me look back at things that have happened to me and think on them. The events I am writing about started after I had been out of college a few years.

When I graduated, I went to work. I had the insurance proceeds from my father’s death as well as from his estate that included insurance money from my mother’s death a year before his. Her death had been from cancer but Dad was killed in an auto wreck that wasn’t his fault. The person at fault had insurance and it paid. I finished college with no loans and still had plenty of money in the bank. I would rather have my parents.

Since I am starting a new journal, literally, and since I’m going over some other history, including telling who I am. It just makes sense.

My name is Joycelyn Amber Roberts. In high school, I picked up the nickname, Jar, while playing softball. I played through college and the name stuck even showing up on my jersey. I never minded it and even use it now on business cards in quotes as a nickname. I have dark red hair and light blue eyes. I’m five foot, ten inches, tall. I also have a good figure from my athletics which continued as exercise after I graduated. I run, not jog, and men stop and stare. At twenty-six, I’m still what a friend of mine from college calls, “Lovely.” Angela played with me in college. I watch my health because of my mother and have taken defensive driving courses because of dad. I also like hunting and am accurate with a rifle and good with a pistol. In college, Angela and I took martial arts and I’ve kept up with it. I’ve never been attacked when alone but believe I would be more than a handful for any one or even two men.

I attend church most Sundays but date and enjoy going out though many men have found me more challenging than they might have preferred. My morals are old-fashioned.

It was Sunday evening when I started this new journal. I had purchased the new book that afternoon and was trying to decide if the last two days contained anything that should be memorialized. I decided that nothing should. Monday would be a new day.

Monday became interesting soon after I arrived. I was involved in marketing where I worked. Monday morning was the big meeting day for everyone in the department. I would usually find out what my boss wanted to emphasize for the week or longer. He went through his talk for everyone and then said, “Jar, I have a special project for you.” He grinned. “See me after the meeting.” I had just finished my last project and would be starting a new one. My thought was that this would be a shitty assignment if he wouldn’t give it to me in front of the rest of the team.

The meeting broke up and I stayed, waiting. It was just the two of us and he motioned for me to follow him to his office. We sat down. He said, “Jar, this won’t be as bad as you’re thinking. Our CEO, Charles Anderson, wants you to escort a visitor this week. Our visitor is a special guest of his and Charles wants you to give this person time including evenings. There will be two fancy dress dinners and you will be his escort for both of those. He’s from Europe visiting Charles and his family. Charles’ son is a friend of his but is tied up with another matter and will be unable to be of much help.”

I muttered, “Crap.” I looked at John and asked, “When does this start?”

John grinned, “Now. He’s waiting for you in Charles’ office. They do have some sights for you to take him to.” He looked at me, still grinning, and said, “I know it’s crappy but it will give you some extra notice from Charles which won’t hurt your career. Besides, you’re tough and can handle it.”

I said, “Crap! John, you will owe me. Where is this being?”

“He’s waiting for you In Charles’ office.”

“Okay. Please tell Sharon to transfer my phone to her desk. Fortunately, I don’t have anything pressing going on. I will get my expenses reimbursed?”

“Yes, and Charles told me there is no limit of what you may spend.”

“Okay. I’m on my way.” I was dressed in my usual office attire. Today, it was a skirt and blouse with medium heels. I left John’s office and went by my desk to pick up my purse. It had my phone and wallet which included a company credit card. I went to our CEO’s office and knocked. His secretary looked up and said, “Go on in, Jar. They’re waiting for you.” She smirked. I opened the door and stalked inside. I wasn’t in the best possible mood.

It was a big office with a sitting area with a couch and two easy chairs among other items. Our CEO, Charles Anderson, was sitting in an easy chair talking to a younger man who was sitting on the couch. They stood upon my entrance. I stopped about six feet away from them. I said, “Good morning, I’m Joycelyn Roberts. How may I help?”

Mister Anderson said, “Jar, thank you for coming. I would like to introduce His Royal Highness, Crown Prince Roger of Landers.” I looked over Prince Roger. At least, he wasn’t too bad. Actually, he was a bit cute and, at three inches over six feet tall, wouldn’t look too bad when we stood together.

I held out my hand and said, “Prince Roger, I’m Joycelyn Roberts. It’s good to meet you.”

He ignored my hand. I thought, “Asshole!” Mister Anderson looked at him sharply and then said to Prince Asshole, “Jar is one of our up and coming young folks. We expect her to rise swiftly in our company. It was luck that she was available to show you the sights.”

I gave Prince Asshole a fairly thorough look from top to bottom and back up. He was decorative. From his looks, he wouldn’t embarrass me if a friend saw us together in public. I decided I would not introduce him. I looked over at Mister Anderson and asked, “Is there a printed itinerary for this week?”

“Yes, Jar, we have a rough one though there are four things set; two are evening dinners and two are events during the day. There is some free time as well as a list of possibilities to fill those times. Finally, my son, Mason, is escorting Prince Roger’s sister, Princess Anna. Please work with him as the two of you show our visiting royalty our city and some of the state.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.