Hardware & Harmony - Cover

Hardware & Harmony

Copyright© 2018 by Coaster2

Chapter 16: The Reconnection

It took less than a week for the law suit to disappear. Clary reported that the law firm in San Francisco was what he called a “convenience store operation” that were in over their heads when they realized there was no chance of cashing in on the suit and that international law was involved. That was one problem solved.

I was over at the Alvarez home by invitation on Sunday evening. Mama made it clear that it was a standing invitation and that two little girls would be disappointed if I wasn’t there. They were being used as bait, I knew, but I really didn’t mind.

I was sitting on the sofa with Marianna, just enjoying a beer and conversation with my former girlfriend. We were talking about our friends from the past and what had happened to them. At one point, little Nicole came into the room and walked to me, holding out her arms, wanting me to pick her up I assumed. One hand gripped the sopranino recorder I had given her. I obliged and she sat on my lap before handing me the recorder.

“Do you want me to play this?” I asked her.

She nodded, being a kid of few words.

I thought for a moment before I put my lips to the mouthpiece and began to play one of the few pieces I knew. It was a little nonsense song I had learned a long time ago and I’d played it for Nicole once or twice before. She loved it and also loved to put a finger over whichever of the openings was available to her. Perhaps she thought this was a way for her to play was well. Needless to say, I cared less. We were playing music together and that was good enough for her. Each time she put a finger on a hole, she would laugh.

Mama stood at the kitchen entrance with a giant smile and tears in her eyes. Marianna was laughing quietly at her daughter’s antics and maybe my willingness to carry on letting her mess with the music. When the song ended, Nicole looked up and me and reached up to give me a kiss on the cheek. I returned the kiss and she giggled. She pointed at me when she turned to her grandmother and said, “Nico.” I think those might have been the first words I’d heard her utter.

I pointed to her and said, “Nicole” before pointing at myself and saying “Nico.” I handed her the recorder and she slid off my lap and ran to the back of the house, probably to her room. “Well, my name is now ‘Nico’ permanently, I guess,” I said with a grin.

“Do you object?” Marianna said with a sly grin.

“Naw. Your mother coined that name long ago. I can live with it,” I smiled.

“Good decision,” Marianna said. “I kind of like the sound of it too.”

I shrugged. “Whatever you like. I’m okay with it.”

“Since you waved your magic wand and made the lawsuit go away, I have another favor to ask.”

“Hey, I just introduced you to Clary and he waved the magic wand.”

“Never mind that, you knew who to call to the rescue,” she said.

“Okay ... so what kind of favor do you need?”

“I’ve got to find a place to live. I could use your help,” she said with what I thought to be a sly look about her.

“Huh ... funny you should mention that. I happen to know of a house not far from here that has some space available. It’s pretty empty right now, but the owner doesn’t take up much room and the rent is reasonable.”

“Do I know the owner?” she asked, the sly look replace with a barely suppressed grin.

“As a matter of fact, you do. In fact, you’ve been in the house and you said it was quite nice,” I added as innocently as I could manage.

“If it’s the house I’m thinking of, you’re quite right. It’s a very elegant older style with a big porch, lots of room inside and outside in the back. Do you think the owner would be amenable to renting?” she asked, still with that knowing smile.

“That might take some serious negotiations. I could call Clary and get him involved,” I tried with a straight face.

“Do you think that’s really necessary? Can’t two mature adults work out a satisfactory agreement without involving a lawyer?” she asked innocently.

“I suppose that’s possible,” I said thoughtfully. “Would you like to view the home to make sure it’s what you want and is suitable for the girls as well?”

“I think that’s a very good idea,” she said. “We could do that after dinner when there’s still daylight.”

“That’s definitely possible. Shall we plan on it?” I asked, a smirk unavoidably on my face.

“Yes. I’m sure the girls would like to come and see it too. After all, they have to be happy with it as well.”

“Then that’s what we’ll do,” I said, no longer trying to hide my smile of delight. “Mind you, I’ll have to help Mama with the dishes first.”

“I think between the three of us we can make quick work of the kitchen,” she said, leaning over to me and giving me an unexpected kiss on the cheek.

I turned my head, gazing into those deep, dark brown eyes and leaned in to kiss her on the lips. The kiss lasted longer than I expected, but I wasn’t anxious for it to end. The look on her face was at first surprise before her smile told me that we were good. I almost went back for a second one when I realized we had an audience. Anna Marie had witnessed out little tableau and stood by the hallway entrance, her hand over her mouth, her eyes wide in surprise. I wiggled my eyebrows at her and she turned and ran down the hallway.

“It’s good to be back, Nico,” she said quietly.

“It’s great to have you back,” I agreed.

Neither of us had any more to say, but the scant few inches between us disappeared and my hand found her hand as we sat in comfortable silence on the sofa.


“Mama, is this Mr. Nick’s house?” Anna Marie asked as we pulled up in the driveway.

“Yes, that’s right. Mr. Nick and I are talking about renting a place for us to stay. His house has lots of room and a nice yard.”

“Is that right, Mr. Nick? Are we really going to live here?” she asked, her little sister listening with rapt attention.

“Could happen,” I said with a big smile. “Would you like that?”

“Oh yeah! Nicole would like that too ... wouldn’t you Nicole.”

The little girl looked at her sister, then her mother for affirmation. Detecting that this was good thing, she agreed with a big nod and a “yeah!”

“Okay then, why don’t we show you your rooms,” I said as we headed for the staircase.

The four of us trooped up the stairs with me in the lead, Anna Marie almost in my footsteps, Nicole working her way slowly up the stairs, followed by her mother as rear guard against a possible fall.

“You don’t have to worry about the stairs, Nick,” Marianna said as we reached the top. Our home in Florence had ceramic tile and a marble staircase. The girls were very careful on the stairs and I’m sure they would be here too.”

“Okay, good to know. Let’s go down to this end of the hall and your Mom can see where she’ll be staying,” I explained. The stairs neatly divided the second floor in half, with a master suite and a full bathroom at one end, and two bedrooms and a full bathroom in the other end.

“Oh, Nick, this is lovely,” Marianna said as I showed her what once was my grandparents’ master suite. There’s access to the bathroom both from the bedroom and the hall.

“Is this where you sleep, Mr. Nick,” Anna Marie asked.

“No, I sleep downstairs. There’s another bedroom and bathroom down there too.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.