The Rise of Azkoval - Cover

The Rise of Azkoval

Copyright© 2018 by Jay Cantrell

Chapter 45: Change in the Balance

Sessions in the sparring pit were the highlight of each morning of the days leading up to Court. Joseph had announced a tournament, open to all that weren’t affiliated with the army, to determine the finest non-professional warrior in attendance.

The practice rounds always brought in dozens of spectators – but word that the king planned to visit increased the number to more than 200. Most hoped to see the king in action and there was obvious disappointment when Joseph walked down to the pits with his crown perched atop his head.

“The tournament is for amateurs,” Joseph noted. “I was a professional soldier for many years and I am still the leader of the army in name if not in fact.”

Most accepted the explanation without comment but Frederick Hulett, the lord’s heir, decided to press the point.

“I’m certain many of the lords would enjoy witnessing your prowess firsthand,” he said. “I would be willing to spar against you.”

Frederick had proven to be one of the best non-professionals in the ranks and he was certain he could improve his father’s standing (and thus his own) within the gentry by defeating the king in the ring.

“If you will recall I gave each of the lords and their heirs the opportunity to do just that when I made my Southern campaign,” Joseph replied. “If you had gone, you would have seen my skill with your own eyes. Instead, you, your father and the many of the landholders and their children I see here opted to remain safe and warm in your beds. Now you seek a chance to test me when there is no danger. I am not your trained pet. I do not dance when you play a tune. Perhaps the next time Azkoval faces danger, you will prove yourself more reliable if you wish to watch me in battle.”

Frederick’s face turned red, first in anger and then in embarrassment when several of the young women in the crowd – including the king’s ever-present entourage of comely females – laughed at the rebuke.

“Then I will offer a challenge to you!” Frederick declared. “Are you man enough to accept?”

Joseph gave the man a blithe look and a feral smile crossed his lips.

“Young master Hulett, you will find I am man enough for anything you care to name,” Joseph said. “But let us demonstrate the rules of the tournament. We will select officials and spar until one party is disabled or the judges rule a killing stroke has been delivered. Fair?”

“I accept those rules,” Frederick declared.

“What weapon will you choose?” Joseph wondered.

“A long sword,” Frederick stated. “You may use what you prefer.”

“Do you wish to use practice swords or would you prefer to test yourself against me with naked blades?” Joseph wondered.

Frederick gulped. He believed the king’s reputation to be based on wild tales told by his cronies. But, at the same time, he wasn’t willing to risk his life for that belief.

“It is just a sparring session,” he answered.

“Very well,” Joseph said with a smile. “Would you care to make the match a bit more interesting? We could place a wager on the outcome.”

“State your terms,” Frederick said.

“Hmm,” Joseph said, glancing at the faces around him. “I will wager a hundred gold coins.”

Frederick’s face went white. It was far more than his family had to bet.

“I fear those stakes are too high,” he admitted with a touch of shame.

“Oh, of course,” Joseph replied. “I wasn’t speaking for you. In return, I will ask you to wager a week of working in the stables. If you win, I will hand you the coins. If I win, you clean the stables each morning before Court.”

“I... , “ Frederick stammered. He saw more people start to laugh. “I accept.”

“Ah, good,” Joseph said. He took his crown off his head and handed it to Alexander. He slipped his robe off his shoulders, folded it and started to offer it to the finance minister. He stopped and turned to the challenger.

“I believe, when the king has been challenged to physical combat, he is permitted to name a champion,” he said. “Do I have that correct, Choran?”

“You do, Your Highness,” Choran answered. “It has long been precedent in Azkoval.”

“Good, good,” Joseph said with a nod. “In that case, I name...”

He looked around the spectators. There were many of his soldiers present. He saw Yerrick pleading with his eyes but Joseph passed him by until they landed on the perfect person. His face lit with a smile.

“In keeping with the spirit of the tournament, I name Julia of Trimble as my champion,” he said. “She is not affiliated with the army so she qualifies.”

“She is a woman!” Frederick exclaimed.

“Yes, I will confess that I have long noticed that fact,” Joseph admitted.

“I will not fight a woman,” Frederick declared.

“So, you forfeit?” Joseph asked. “I suppose we shall see you in the stables next week.”

“Wait!” Frederick said. “Fine, I will fight her. But I expect no reprisals when she is injured.”

“You need not fear reprisals,” Joseph agreed. “Now, let us pick our officials. I will select an impartial observer and so may you. I select ... Roderick of Hulett. I believe he will be fair. Roderick, do you accept?”

“Yes, Your Highness,” the challenger’s younger brother said. Joseph had noticed that he appeared just as eager as Yerrick to be named champion.

“I select my father, Lord Hulett,” Frederick said quickly. He didn’t seem to believe having two members of his family act as impartial observers was unfair.

“Very well,” Joseph said. “Lord Hulett, do you accept?”

“Of course,” the lord said.

“Then let the participants pick their practice weapons and make their preparations,” Joseph said. “We will begin when both announce their readiness.”

Joseph turned to find Julia staring at him.

“I wish for you to make him pay for his arrogance,” Joseph said firmly. “Do not toy with him. Do not allow him to preen and posture. I expect you to take him down as quickly as possible. You are not battling a stranger. You are simply in the sparring pits with me or your comrade in arms. Use the training I’ve given you and Liala has offered. I do not expect him to land a blow. Do you understand?”

Julia was preparing to ask why Joseph thought her to have the ability to best a man. His words made her understand that she had trained and bested men far superior to the one she would face in the pits.

“Yes,” she said with a nod.

She picked up the still unnamed weapon that Joseph had crafted for the smaller warriors. It barely resembled a weapon at all – and Frederick smirked when she walked into the circle. All around him, the onlookers were placing bets and taking wagers – and most of the coin was on the King’s Champion. It angered him to no end – and it was obvious his father was just as unhappy.

“I’m ready,” Frederick declared.

“Are you certain?” Joseph asked. “I want no dispute over the outcome of this match.”

“I’m certain,” Frederick answered. He was lying.

The attack came with such speed and ferocity that all he could do was backpedal. He had barely moved a step when his legs were yanked from beneath him and he landed hard on his back in the dirt.

The laughter and catcalls that arose from around him caused him to leap to his feet and take a wild swing where he’d last seen the girl. She was already behind him before his sword met only air. He felt a sharp jab above his kidney and spun, bringing the sword around in an arc.

The impact of wood on wood when Julia blocked him caused his hands to tremble. It was too late for any offense from him, anyway. Julia brought the wood down across his wrists and the wooden sword fell to the ground. She followed with a thrust to his midsection with the blunted end. Rather than use her normal coup de grâce – a swift buffet on the head, she swept the man’s legs from beneath him again. Julia used her foot to push the stunned Frederick to his front and straddled his back. She had the wood against Frederick’s neck, with her arms looped beneath his armpits and her fingers laced behind his neck before the man’s brother could speak.

“That was a killing blow!” Roderick declared. “The pointed edge went straight into his gut. He would be dead.”

Joseph nodded and looked to Lord Hulett, who appeared slightly dazed by how quickly his son was dismantled by a tiny woman.

“I disagree,” the lord stammered. “I believe they should reset.”

“That is not the contest,” Joseph said. “It lasts until a killing stroke is delivered or a party unable to continue. You say the stroke was not sufficient to kill.”

He turned to Julia. Frederick’s face was already turning blue from having the weapon trapped against his windpipe.

“I fear you will have to disable him,” Joseph said in an even voice. “I believe if you break his neck even his father will have to concur.”

Julia nodded and bunched the muscles in her arms, pushing Frederick’s neck tighter in the vice of her arms and the weapon. His face was puce but the area around his neck was pale white from the pressure.

“He was killed,” Lord Hulett yelled. “It was a killing stroke!”

Julia kept the pressure until Joseph gave her a nod. Abruptly, she released the hold and Frederick fell forward into the dirt. She put her foot on the back of his neck to hold him and place and looked to the king.

Joseph wore the same feral smile as had graced his face earlier.

“Well, that was certainly enlightening,” the king declared. “Lord Hulett, I am making it your responsibility to ensure your son fulfills his wager. I will inspect his work each day. If I find it to be substandard, rest assured, you will leave Tyrell short a son – and perhaps short your head. Your family has had its last warning from me. You will fall into line with the rest or I will leave you and your son buried in the soil and select someone else for the manor. I hope you will not need another demonstration.”

He turned to assembled crowd, finding two or three other faces that still needed a lesson on who was in charge. He found their eyes and stared hard into them until they turned away.

“Well done, Julia,” Joseph said as he walked forward. He completely ignored the fallen Hulett son and lifted Julia’s arm in triumph. “I think it is fair to say that our little tournament would be quite anticlimactic if I permitted my champion to enter. To that end, I will announce Julia of Trimble’s official entry into our militia at this moment. I give you Captain Julia Trimble of the Sixth Azkoval Defense Battalion. I have tasked Julia with forming an entire battalion of female soldiers and training them to be as fierce as she is. It is no small task because, as you have seen, Julia is not one to trifle with. If you disagree, then feel free to come forward and try your hand.”

No one moved – as Joseph was certain they would not.

“Or, perhaps if you run into Rucar of Dunvil, you could ask him about Julia,” the king continued. “After all, she is the person that disarmed him and captured him. I should also say that she was instrumental in bringing Rucar into my service – acts for which I am eternally grateful.”

He had kept Julia’s arm in the air the entire time but lowered it now. Instead, he put his arm around her shoulder.

“I surround myself with only the best,” Joseph continued. “Those I hold dear are the finest warriors, the finest advisers and the finest people I have found in our fair country. If I have kept you at a distance, then I hope you now understand why that is so. Those closest to me have proven their loyalty to our country. They have been willing to fight and die for Azkoval – as I have been and am at this moment. For now, I will depart and allow you to return to your practice. Roderick, could you perhaps assist your brother to his feet? I fear your father is not able.”

In fact, Lord Hulett was sitting in dirt with a look of stunned disbelief on his face.

“I am yours to command, King Joseph,” Roderick said proudly. Joseph noticed the younger brother was none too gentle in the way he handled his older sibling. Octavia, Liala, Catherine and Elizabeth were the first to greet Julia when she exited the circle – with Bianca Halversham and Lucretia not far behind.

The next person to approach was a surprise to the king.

Annette Hulett, the 13-year-old daughter of the Hulett clan, stood nearby smiling excitedly. She was bouncing on her toes as though she needed to find a place to relieve herself.

“When I am old enough, I will return and join your warriors,” she announced. “You are the most amazing woman I’ve ever seen!”

“She is one of many amazing women,” Joseph corrected. “Truly, I could have selected any of the women you see in front of you.”

He had immediately considered sending Octavia out – but feared the sight of her bouncing bosom would have caused the crowd to miss her ability in combat.

“They are all trained to defend others or to protect themselves,” Joseph continued. “If you wish, during your stay, I will ask them to introduce you to a few of their skills.”

“Oh, please, Your Highness!” Annette said with excitement.

Octavia, the unofficial greeter for the group, put her arm around the young girl’s shoulder.

“I should warn you, we’re a bawdy bunch,” Octavia said with a laugh. “We’ll try to behave but you might have to forgive us a few times if we say something naughty.”

Of course that only piqued Annette’s interest in spending time with older girls. Joseph shook his head as the group – minus Julia – led her off to her fate.

“I believe the King’s Champion has the right to ask for a boon,” she said smugly.

“I just made you a captain in the army,” Joseph pointed out.

“That is not a boon,” Julia said as she directed him back to the castle. “That was going to happen anyway. Genrico already told Victoria of the decision.”

“The spy network is in full force even without Rucar to direct it,” Joseph grumbled. “What do you wish?”

He was almost scared to hear the answer.

“I believe I will keep my request to myself until the proper time arrives,” Julia said with a smile. Joseph still had his arm around her shoulder and she had put hers around his waist. She took the opportunity to dig her fingers into his ribs. “For now, once we find a vacant spot away from prying eyes, I will settle for a polite, chaste kiss from my king.”

Joseph looked over at her smiling face and nodded his agreement.

“You agreed too quickly,” Julia said with a laugh. “After all, I haven’t told you which portion of my body I wish for you to kiss.”


Joseph sat at his desk preparing his remarks for the upcoming opening session of Court. He had come to several firm decisions over the previous days.

Foremost among them was a decision to make significant changes to the structure of those that held deeds to property in the country. His advisers had uniformly argued against his plan (except for Genrico, who really didn’t care one way or the other). Joseph’s plan went against hundreds of years of precedent, Choran correctly noted.

The plan might incite a civil war, Jonathan had pointed out. Elena had noted that Joseph had no idea if his way would work any better than what was in place and Alexander had urged the king to give the lords a chance to get to know him before making alterations to a system that had worked (with admittedly varying levels of success) since Azkoval had been formed.

Joseph heard their words but he was adamant. Men like Gerhardt Hulett succeeded at the king’s largesse. They did not have an absolute right to own property and oversee others. That right belonged solely to the king – and it was time for a few of the landholders to learn that lesson.

They had sat silently while Wilhelm and Drell took what they wanted from the land and its people. They had never lifted a finger to defend Azkoval even after Joseph had returned. The lords or heirs that had come with him southward (with the exception of Jonathan and Alexander Burbridge, who had been handsomely rewarded) had come from the ranks of the soldiers Joseph had appointed to oversee the lands in his stead.

Seven families predated The Fall and none had sent a single man or woman with the king. Simply limiting the family’s influence made little difference. They hadn’t had influence with Wilhelm or Joseph’s father so the loss was negligible. The laws Joseph planned to announce would hit them more closely to home – in their pocketbooks. It would also prove to the men that the king was the sole authority in Azkoval.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.