Castaway: Promise Keeper - Cover

Castaway: Promise Keeper

Copyright© 2017 by Feral Lady

Chapter 8

Science Fiction Sex Story: Chapter 8 - Von Solon Saga's 4th story, which only makes sense if you have read the prior stories. This tale takes place in Juniper Hills the settlement that our hero established. Here he is creating a culture of creativity and social advancement. However, he has promises to keep and women to keep happy. It is a lot of work to balance work and wives. How is he going to do that?

Caution: This Science Fiction Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/ft   Mult   Fiction   Science Fiction   Space   Harem   Polygamy/Polyamory   Interracial   Body Modification  

“Things would have been different if you’d offered respect and a polite greeting. Sending a tax collector to my town wasn’t an act of friendship,” I stated to Captain Longhorn.

He sighed, took off his hat, and then ran his fingers through his short hair. His eyes watched a pair of dock workers man-handle a crate of wine right by his tense men. “Can we sit and talk?”

I held my arms out wide in welcome. “You’d like a second chance at talking with us?”

He put his hat back on his head, straightening his back. “I would.”

Without a word I stepped to the office door and opened it. Inviting Julie in.

She grumbled and barked at the two staff-wielding guards. “Watch the door.”

“We’ll talk in the Harbor Master’s office. It’s clear of personnel,” I offered.

Longhorn dipped his head at Julie in acknowledgement, and then made a sweeping gesture with his hat while bowing to me. “Thank you.” Whereupon, he shouted over his shoulder, “The escort is dismissed to wait upon me at the longboat.”

In unison, the Captain’s men raised an arm in silence. It was some sort of stiff-armed salute, and then they turned and marched off in a single file. Not even looking back at his men, Longhorn followed Julie into the office.

Our squad of eunuchs looked to me as they put their weapons away. With a raised voice, I joked. “Gentlemen, it seems you will not need to clean bloody swords today. They laughed. I continued, “The Ready Response Team is dismissed. Tell the upper town they can stand down and open the gates. However, keep the regular guards at their ballista.”

As one, each man kissed two fingers, and then touched them to a silver brooch on the front of their cloak. A gesture that I hadn’t seen before. Yet, I had seen the wolf-head brooch before. The cloak clasp was a popular novelty that an enterprising silversmith was making in Fort Revenge.

Looking over the bow-armed sea wives and the half-dozen crossbowmen, I smiled. “Hang around, but rest out of the sun.”

The eight female archers looked unhappy they weren’t released, too. I had my reasons; the Home Guard practiced few serious drills, let alone real emergency events. The mercenaries just thumped fists to their chests. Obedience wasn’t new to them, besides they didn’t want to miss any potential action. Their assignment to train with me was a reward for being the best in their training class back on Convey. Real action was a treat for them.

After closing the door, I took a seat at the table with Julie and Longhorn. A hanging silence filled the space between them. Longhorn brushed his finger over a mug of water while watching me. Julie had a faraway look as she looked out the window, clearly giving him the cold shoulder. She had been hospitable enough to give the man a drink, but my wife held her closed thoughts.

I began, “Captain we don’t mind a friendly squabble between trading partners, but mean-spirited, official mishaps will be censured. When dealing with your government, we are seeing a pattern of prejudice and division. As far as we are concerned, whatever you intend here, we see your cause in a very poor light.”

He frowned at my bitter tone but quickly found a new confidence. “Mr. Solon, if you feel tormented by the tax collector, you are in the company of many people, including my parents. There is no doubt. That man insulted you and your people. I, as my majesty’s naval representative, apologize. Rest assured that his deportment will show in my report to my superiors.”

Julie snorted, but she continued to look out the window.

I couldn’t help it, I grinned at her. She was a magnificent warrior who didn’t like politics. Not that I was a fan of power games of the bureaucracy or some power hungry noble.

He pressed on. “You have been wronged. I seek only to defend my people from the raiders and help my family. I didn’t come here to assault you or threaten you. My family respects you and has a fair amount of shipping trade with Lady Derwen. Your wife has started to use your dragon ships on her trade routes to Conquest Point and to Princess Wyrd’s port at Heraldsburg. I have seen them on several occasions. My staff has heard of reports of you using the dragon ships to successfully engage and defeat the Caldavian raiding ships.”

Julie looked at him. “By any standards, the dragon ships are revolutionary in design. Von is smarter than he looks.”

Longhorn’s jaw dropped and he took a deep breath, just before delivering a hearty laugh. He relaxed a bit. “She is a fierce companion.”

Julie smirked. Wisely, I just nodded.

“While the King’s Herald has given me leave to approach you. I am here on business, not representing the court. However, my nation will benefit if I am successful. The trade guild I represent, with my family’s financial backing want a solution to the Caldavian problem. I may command a squadron of royal warships but my history is rooted in trade. Efram is a hypocritical tax collector. He talks of royal interests, while working on self-serving projects.”

“The tax on inter-family trade.” Julie stated.

Longhorn tilted his head at her. “He has wide discretionary power. The improved trade in Wyrd’s region means more resources flowing into state coffers, and more coin for his political gain. Efram wants more power and sees you as his stepping stone.”

“That is like saying a shark is hungry. What you’ve said is no revelation,” Julie quipped.

“The crown doesn’t investigate the like of Efram unless his revenues are declining. On the trip here he bragged that his district’s tax revenue are higher than average. Efram thought it was his influence that got him on my ship. He tried to strong-arm me to follow the Lady of Truth. He didn’t know I already was coming this way. He is an unpopular man, so he twists rules to get favors done. In fact, he promised not to have his men tax goods of the trading guild’s ships while he was away with me.” Longhorn smiled, resting an elbow on the table and leaning forward towards me in a relaxed manner.

“The joke is on him,” I commented. “Your arm didn’t need twisting nor did you need a bribe to bring him. You wanted to see me anyway.”

“Rightly so,” Longhorn agreed. “Still I can’t but hope one of my family ships benefits.”

“Partisan influences,” Julie mumbled, flattening her palms on the table’s surface.

“He is not well liked at court nor among the people,” Longhorn offered. “More complex tax issues are adjudicated by the Herald’s Office. Sadly, Princess Wyrd’s rights, and by extension yours are balanced against court politics. That makes reaching an accommodation hard, but not impossible. Yet, I digress. In all modesty, my family are leaders in trade on the northeast coast of the kingdom. We always have the Herald’s ear, if not the king’s at times. While I serve in the navy, I have extensive personal resources and often use my money to ensure the performance of my fighting ships. My family and my duty to protect the kingdom are dear topics to me. Your ship’s design could make a significant difference in my world.”

“You want access to my ships?”

“Not just access, my family wants to buy three dragon ships for use in my squadron. We know the crown is unlikely to approve such a purchase directly from their funds, at least under the current ill-winds blowing from the royal court.”

Darkness encroached on Julie’s face, while I just let out a sigh. “This day was bound to happen. People want to own the latest popular toys. We just happen to be the toy makers or ship maker in this particular case.”

“Absolutely not,” Julie barked. “Lady Derwen needs more of them for her growing trade needs. Not to mention, Juniper Hills has its own growing trade needs.”

Longhorn didn’t flinch at her passionate denial, rather he looked at me with a blank expression, which Julie didn’t like. Her hands turned to fists, tightening as they rested on the table.

Jettisoning all caution, he continued, “I want to outfit your dragon ships as auxiliaries that will scout for my naval command. They could help supply me at sea, freeing us up from making as many stops in port. In addition, they are fast enough to harass the Raiders while my heavier, slower ships move into place. Your ships have a flexibility that offers my naval command many possible strategic uses. Your people and mine are plagued by these evil men...”

“And, if your family owned dragon ships, you could run trade with them, every now and then,” Julie offered.

He smiled, not denying that thought hadn’t crossed his mind. Julie loathed the idea; her eyelids dropped darkly, like a guillotine.

Longhorn was no idiot, his unimpeded view of her face made him square off his body to her. “My lady, I knew this request was likely to receive a cold reception. Yet, before you counsel your husband any further, please know I do not come empty-handed. I will pay for the first ship upfront. Think how that could help your town. Better equipment for use in your common defense, or other materials that aren’t available in the wilderness.”

She cut him off. “We are not poor, nor without resources...”

“Enough,” I interjected. They both turned to me, so passionate about their argument they appeared to have forgotten me.

Julie was famous for her sternness with others when she was worked up. However, her formidableness had little effect on Longhorn. He immediately turned his eyes towards me, quickly releasing his tension. I was impressed with him, how tightly he adjusted his emotions. He had a quick mind that hadn’t forgotten that his purpose was to convince me. Julie controlled her vexation, but her tight eyes spoke loudly that she held to her strong opinion.

“If it is not too much trouble, sir, may I ask what your form of payment is?”

Julie’s eyes went wide; however, I pushed on. “Of course, we will need more than monetary compensation.”

His widening smile fell flat at the comment. Longhorn hesitantly opened his mouth but closed it again with a nervous expression. He slowly, inexorably planted a small bag on the table. The leather bag thunked, and then rattled with something other than coins. I hadn’t notice him removing it from his jacket pocket.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.