The Props Master Prequel: Behind the Ivory Veil
Chapter 20: Into the Night

Copyright© 2017 by aroslav

Fantasy Sex Story: Chapter 20: Into the Night - Myth, Magic, and Mayhem reign for an Indiana couple. When musicologist Wesley Allen is recruited to interpret the strange symbols of The Music of the Gods in the Metéora of Greece, his new wife, Rebecca, pursues her anthropological studies and is initiated into the great Coven Carles in England. The two worlds collide as Wesley and Rebecca find the reality of myth and magic. But will releasing the goddess captive behind the Ivory Veil also tear their lives apart?

Caution: This Fantasy Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Magic   Romantic   Heterosexual   Fiction   First  

Monday, 15 August 1955, City of the Gods

When Wesley awoke in the predawn light, he found the air as clear as on those days when they did not go to the city. He felt incredibly refreshed and invigorated. He helped make breakfast and drank of his freshly steeped coffee. He had become accustomed to the Greek method of simply putting the finely ground coffee in the little briki and heating it until the foam formed on top, just before the liquid boiled. He would then pour this into his small cup and sip at it until they were ready to leave for the City.

This morning, they went about their preparations, including lashing together on the guide rope as Pol led them up the mountain. Wesley adhered to all the safety precautions they had taken because he had not been up the mountain while the others explored yesterday. Without the morning fog, the way looked clear and open. The gentle greensward continued up the mountain from the olive tree. Wesley vaguely wondered about that and attempted to locate the spot where he’d fallen when they came down two days ago. He couldn’t find any loose stones like those that had rolled from under him.

As Pol began the trip up, he looked curiously at his friend. Wesley was smiling and looking around. To Wesley and to Pol, there was no fog. Doc and Margaret continued to stumble blindly up the slope.

The fog receded from Wesley’s ears, as well. The chorus of voices were the most beautiful he had ever heard. With nothing around him but the pleasant walk, Wesley could only assume that these were angels singing and he gladly joined his voice with theirs. The musical tongue was so soft and yet so all-encompassing that it did not disturb the natural sounds of the walk. Wesley could see the crest of the hill and pillars visible over the horizon before he realized the voices he heard were not in the air at all, but were centered just inside his ears where no one else would hear. He stepped onto the plateau and took in the truly stunning sight of the pillars and the rostrum in the center of the forum.

The City was tangibly different today. Wesley could “see” more clearly than ever. And what he saw was not the basically monochromatic stone architecture of his previous journeys, but a City that sparkled and glowed like a jeweled crown on the crest of the hill. His entire senses were wrenched out of himself into an ultrasensitivity to the light, sound, smell, taste and feel of the City. Tears drenched his cheeks as he tried futilely to comprehend the scope of his experience. Even Doc and Margaret looked different to him. He could see how much they cared for each other—loved each other.

Doc looked strangely at Wesley and the musician responded before the question was voiced.

“It’s okay. I’m fine.” A few feet away, Pol waited with a hand outstretched. Wesley took the offered hand and the two ascended the rostrum together, leaving a puzzled Doc and Margaret to stare after them.

The music. First Pol’s voice singing his greeting. Then Wesley’s own counterpoint in rich tones he did not recognize even as his own voice. The response came antiphonally from every corner of the City as if the pillars themselves were singing the litany. It was more than could be borne standing up. As the sun followed them over the crest of the hill, Wesley sank to his knees in the center of the rostrum. His tears fell on the vivid colors of the dais. The colors themselves rippled with the splash of each tear.

“My tears I leave you, for the price of passage is to leave a part of yourself behind,” prayed Wesley. Yes, prayed. “I believe. Lord, help my unbelief.”

When he regained his composure, Pol knelt beside him. Doc and Margaret had already slipped away to continue their survey of the pillars. Wesley looked at the boy but only said, “It is so beautiful.”

Pol smiled and the two set to work with their project, happily chatting about the slight shifts of the symbols and their relationship to the pillars.

It was a very good day.


Tuesday, 16 August 1955, Kastraki, Greece

Rebecca slept well on a bed provided by Sophia and awoke refreshed in the morning. Her hand still throbbed if she moved wrong, but the cooling salve Andrew had used to dress it the day before had helped relieve the pain a little.

“When everyone comes down from the City this weekend, this house will be available,” Sophia said as they passed one of the four houses around the courtyard that looked empty. “I thought last night you would prefer not to be isolated and alone. I hope the baby did not wake you.”

“Not at all,” Rebecca smiled. “I can see why Wesley has fallen so in love with this area. It is majestic.” She looked around at the towering pillars of rock that made the Metéora. Scarce images of life, one here, one there... The monoliths seemed to be a grown version of her circle of stones at Carles Castlerigg. They joined the others for breakfast in Andrew and Thea’s home, the children having already been fed and sent outdoors. Rebecca gratefully accepted dark Greek coffee from her hosts and sipped it lovingly. If only Scotland had coffee like this.

As they sat and talked, there was a light rapping at the door and a monk entered.

“Rebecca, Mrs. Allen, please meet our old friend, Brother El. El, this is Wesley’s wife.”

“I am so pleased to meet you. I have enjoyed my visits with your husband,” the monk said.

“Have you any news?” Andrew asked.

“He thinks I’m a spy and always have news to tell him,” Brother El laughed to Rebecca. “Well, there is some news. I will be here only another week, my friends. I am told that the good brothers of Mount Athos need my guidance. It seems they have found a manuscript of questionable origin. I have been asked to advise them.”

“It will be a sad day when you leave Agios Nikolaos Anapafsas,” Andrew said. “We are wondering about the stranger with the injured hand who was in the village this week. Has he, indeed, been visiting the monasteries?”

“Ah, him. I have seen him. It would not surprise me if it was him that attempted to follow me on my supply run Saturday.” Brother El looked at Rebecca’s hand. “There is a connection between the two of you. Is it you that he seeks or do you seek him?”

“Neither,” Rebecca declared, though she asked herself again if she was seeking The Blade. “We are both seeking my husband. I must reach him first.”

“And what does he seek?” Andrew asked.

“He has heard there is a goddess of great power there and seeks to plunder her.” Andrew stiffened at the words.

“You have the essence of power about you. Is this what binds you to the stranger?” asked Brother El.

“There is a blade between us,” Rebecca answered with the words Ryan had used in describing it.

“There was an unusual storm on Saturday evening,” Brother El said. “It seemed unnatural. The nuns at Roussanou say a man stumbled in late Saturday night, fevered and haunted. They nursed him, but by lauds, he was gone. I dare say there are mighty powers at work.”

“He must not reach them before me. I will stop him!”

“Daughter,” Andrew said softly, “we will help. I call you daughter because I have begun to think of your husband as a son. Let us prepare for your journey.”

“I will make the circuit of all the orders and see if there is more news,” Brother El said. “If he has turned away, there is no need to chase him. If I find he is searching for the base camp, I will inform you.” With that the monk took his leave.


“Marcos! Come please,” Andrew called to his son. The taxi driver came quickly from the house. “My son, I believe that you must take Mrs. Allen to the City of the Gods. There is more at work than even Brother El comprehends. She must reach her husband at once. You should prepare to go to the mountain.”

“But, Papa, it has been many years since I have been to the City. I do not remember the way. Should you not take her yourself?”

“I am too old. The fact that my health is failing tells me that the fulfillment is near. What any of us believes will no longer matter. Go to the drop point. You know how to reach it. From there, let the gods guide you. They never truly let you forget.”

“I will go to get supplies,” Marcos said softly. “I am sorry you do not have a better guide for this journey, Rebecca. We will reach them.”

“We will listen to see if Brother El has additional information this evening and you will leave at first light in the morning.”


Wednesday, 17 August 1955, City of the Gods

The City was different today. Expectant. Waiting.

Wesley had taken to swimming in the stream each night after they returned from the City, splashing with Pol and refreshing himself. He could not fathom why he’d been so reluctant to bathe in the stream until Sunday. Now he could not imagine the emerald lawn on which they camped to be any brighter as his vision swept the pathway to the City of the Gods.

Each morning this week, the way had been clear, a pleasant walk up the slope until the green grasses gradually shifted to the paving stones of the City. Pol winked at Wesley conspiratorially as he linked Doc and Margaret to the guide rope. It gradually dawned on Wesley that the fog they had experienced, like the music, was not in their surrounds, but in their minds. The music, he had discovered, was in his ears. The fog was in his eyes. While Wesley’s eyes and ears were clear, it was apparent that Doc and Margaret were still operating in the fog.

Wesley wanted to shout at them and tell them to open their eyes! It was so beautiful here that it made his heart sing. But either his mouth was stopped from speaking the words, or their ears were stopped from hearing them. All he could do each night was strum the chords and finger the melodies on his guitar as his voice praised God for this incredible vision.

And this morning, entering the City had special meaning. He greeted the dawn with music as they approached the rostrum and were washed by the breaking light. This was a very special day.

Wesley glanced toward the sun, unable to look that direction for long. It seemed nearer. If the ancients had this view of the fiery orb, it was no wonder that they pictured a shining god driving his chariot across the sky. Hyperion, the last of the Titans to reign supreme. That was the spirit of this blazing globe that tracked directly between the pillars toward the rostrum. Wesley could see it as clearly as the fireball itself, consuming itself and glowing brighter and brighter as it died of its own consumption.

“Have you noticed,” Wesley mused to his companions, “that the sun does not track south during the day? Its path is always direct from East to West. At noon, when I stand in the center of the rostrum, my shadow is contained directly below me—the smallest I have ever seen.”

“That is curious,” Doc said.

“It fits with our theory that this City is a completely self-contained sphere that operates outside the physical laws of our earth,” Margaret concluded. Wesley was amazed that they could so blithely accept such a preposterous conclusion. It did not take a new understanding of the universe at all. Why, even Joshua had stopped the sun in the sky to give the Children of Israel longer to fight their battle against the Amorites.

And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.

It took no bending of the universe in Wesley’s mind. This was the sun of Joshua. Tonight, the new moon would also stand still in the sky. But darkness would not encompass the City. Even starlight would illuminate the great pillars and the moving colors of the rostrum. For some reason, he could see all these images in the strange light of Joshua’s sun in the City.

Wesley, himself, had stood still in the center of the rostrum for so long that the sun was near its zenith when he realized that Doc and Margaret had taken Pol with them to question him about certain symbols they had found. Rather than laying out his strings and drawings on the rostrum, Wesley seated himself in the center and began to play his guitar.

The music today was different than on other days. It was more intense—crystal tones playing in his ears. His guitar and voice joined them as he interpreted the symbols around him on the rostrum. He stood and paced around the dais, almost dancing as he tripped from symbol to symbol. In his head, he imagined the staves of music before him and realized that the music of the gods was being limited by this primitive notation system, confined to octaves and harmonies. Wesley twisted the pegs of his guitar into new tunings and let his fingers run across the strings in harmonics, unbounded by the frets.

Paper was scattered on the podium in front of him as he played, then frantically noted the sequences. This music was so real that it had to be written down—preserved. It was real in ways that orchestras could only hope to attain. The staves were too limiting. The only way he could record the music was to jump into the hieroglyphic notation. Even the symbols that he wrote refused to follow a linear pattern on the page, some completely overlapping others as he filled the paper. If it had been possible, Wesley believed the notes would have leapt off the paper into three dimensions.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.