A Fall to Grace - Cover

A Fall to Grace

Copyright© 2017 by Kaffir

Chapter 28

Grace beat Terry home that evening. She was so thrilled and excited by her annual appraisal that she was unable to concentrate on any reading or written work. She was not much better at home but she did manage some preparatory work on dinner. When she heard Terry’s key in the lock she flew to the front door. He did not have time to shut it before she hit him; arms round his neck, legs round his waist and her lips plastered to his.

Terry kicked the door shut with his heel and then gently prised her lips from his.

“Whee!” he exclaimed. “What have I done to deserve that?”

“I ... I had m-my annual a-appraisal today.”

Her eyes were shining with excitement and joy.

“And?”

“I got an ‘Outstanding’!”

“Oh, Grace! My precious! Well done! It was deserved though, my darling.”

He swung her round kissing her at the same time. At last he put her down and she looked up at him, her eyes shining brilliantly.

“I told you you were a breath of fresh air after your predecessor. I’m so thrilled and so proud of you.”

Her face went back into his chest and he held her to himself gently stroking her back.

“Have you told the parents?” he asked finally.

She shook her head.

“You ought to. They’ll be almost as thrilled as me and yours will be very, very proud of you as well.”

“I-I w-won’t be able to s-speak.”

He disentangled himself and led her by the hand, picking up the phone on the way, to the sofa. Without letting go of her he speed-dialled his parents. Jean answered.

“Mum, Grace has got something to tell you.”

Grace shook her head violently.

“But she’s too ashamed to tell you.”

“She’s not pregnant, is she?”

That sobered Grace up in an instant and she seized the phone from Terry.

“No, Jean!” she exclaimed. “I-it’s just that I have been graded ‘Outstanding’ in my Annual Appraisal!”

“Grace, sweety! Well done! That’s wonderful and, from what Terry told me while he was still working for you, fully deserved. Roddy’s not home yet but he’ll be thrilled when I tell him.”

“Thanks, Jean.”

“Rubbish! Have you told Jerry and Belinda?”

“No!”

“Well you’d better get weaving or I will.”

That made Grace chuckle. “Straight away, ma’am!”

“God bless, sweety!”

The phone went down and Grace turned to Terry.

“She was genuinely thrilled for me,” she exclaimed.

“She loves you almost as much as I do, my Grace.”

That meant another hug and kiss, albeit slightly less intense than the last. She rang her parents. Jerry answered.

“Dad, it’s me. Just to tell you that I had my Annual Appraisal this afternoon and was graded ‘Outstanding’.”

There was silence for a moment. “Grace, my poppet, that’s brilliant! Well done! I know you thought you were doing quite well but ... Whoopee!

“Belle!”

“Yes?”

“Grace has been graded ‘Outstanding’ in her annual report.”

“What?” came a shriek and she grabbed the phone.

“Grace, darling, that’s brilliant. Aren’t you proud?”

“Well, I suppose so now you mention it...”

“I am” said Terry as he hugged her shoulders.

She looked up at him with an ecstatic smile.

“So you should be, young lady! Good for you, Terry! We are too, darling.”

“Thanks, Mum!”

“Are you going to celebrate?”

“Not tonight, Mum, but probably at the weekend.”

“Good. Give Terry our love and well done again!”

Grace turned into Terry and clung to him.

“They were so genuinely thrilled,” she murmured into his chest.

“Not surprising, my beautiful, clever darling.”

“I’m neither.”

“Yes you jolly well are but most importantly you’re my darling.”

“And you’re mine.”

She pulled his head down and kissed him intensely.

“Whew! I need a restorative drink. High powered executives can be quite exhausting.”

That drew a snort.

“Particularly when they’re amorous.”

Grace got the giggles.

Terry poured their drinks and they snuggled up on the sofa.

“Term is over as from today,” said Terry.

Grace snorted. “And has been for over a fortnight for everyone else. When does it end?”

“Three weeks on Monday.”

“Terry, my precious, I don’t finish until tomorrow and then I’ve only got ten days until the 2nd of January.”

“Worry not, my Grace. I’ll do some quiet study but not enough to exhaust me.”

“Terry, you passed Part 1. What are you feeling about finishing Parts 2 and 3 this next year?”

“Confident and so’s my tutor and all my lecturers.”

“Well done, my darling love! Don’t overdo it though.”

“Promise.”

“Um, Terry?”

“Yes?”

“I’ve been thinking.”

“Oh, Lord!”

“Marriage.”

“Yes, my one!”

“It’ll be a bit of demand: emotional, time-wise, expense...”

“Go on.”

“So I think it ought to be once you’ve finished all your exams.”

“Snap! July next year?”

Grace nodded. “Actually, I don’t think we need worry about expense too much. As an only daughter I’m sure Dad will cough up and anyway I don’t want a great expensive do, just family and close friends.”

“Let’s go for it.”

That meant a happy and protracted cuddle.

They did manage to eat the supper that Grace had started to prepare.

The next day was fairly easy as far as Grace was concerned. As the ‘last day of term’ there were no long hauls involved so that all the drivers were home in time for the Christmas party. It went with a swing. All her ‘boys’ came up to thank her for it and to wish her a Happy Christmas. Even Happy was smiling! Hugh brought it to an end by thanking them for all that they had done for Wilkins over the last year and wishing them the Season’s Greetings. As the applause and cheering died down an unidentifiable voice added, “An’ thank you Miss Grace for kickin’ this party off!” There was a roar of agreement and applause.

Grace blushed and looked down. Hugh reached for her hand and raised it. There was another cheer. The management group left. There were handshakes and kisses as appropriate although Anthea gave Grace a hug as well.

Christmas Day was spent at the Wilsons’ and a very happy day it was too. Grace rang her parents in the morning to wish them a happy Christmas and to have a chat which included hers and Terry’s decision to marry in July. Belinda was thrilled and said she would get in touch with Jean in the New Year.

Work started on the garage in the New Year and ran smoothly with Kirsty Green there throughout making sure that things were on time and to specification. Gareth was not one of the labourers. The two young women became friends.

Although Terry started studying as soon as Grace went back to work the first day that term officially started he requested an interview with the Dean who saw him later that day. Terry told him all that had happened since the incident and asked the Dean to lift the suspension. “We both reckon he’s learned his lesson,” he finished.

“That’s generous, Mr Wilson,” the Dean said.

“No, sir. We just don’t want to prolong any unpleasantness. On the other hand, we will quite understand if you feel longer would be in the interests of university discipline.”

The Dean smiled at him. “You’re wasted as an engineer, Terry,” he said. “You ought to become a diplomat.”

Terry smiled back. “Thank you, sir,” he said.

The following Monday Gareth accosted him. “Thanks, Terry,” he said holding out his hand, “and Grace too. She’s aptly named.”

Terry shook it. “Good luck, Gareth!” he said.

In January Anthea had advertised for new drivers and in February interviews began. Anthea led them but allowed Greg to take a major part. He was invaluable: probing experience, questioning accidents that had been deemed not the driver’s fault and asking about his follow up actions, and probing the interviewee’s knowledge of HGV 1 requirements. He also took each one on a test drive. Grace largely kept quiet contributing only to the subsequent discussions, three times decisively. Neither Anthea nor Greg disagreed with her.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.