A Fall to Grace - Cover

A Fall to Grace

Copyright© 2017 by Kaffir

Chapter 25

Hugh, Peter and Grace duly convened in Hugh’s office at ten the next morning. Grace gave Hugh and Peter each a copy of the tenders and the civil engineering lecturer’s comments. Both read them through quickly while Grace sat in slightly nervous silence.

“Well!” said Hugh at last. “I think we need only consider Davies and Midlands.”

The other two nodded.

“Grace?”

“I go for Davies,” she said, “not necessarily because he is the cheaper of the two but because he has tendered for what we asked for and no extras like air conditioning. I didn’t consider such things necessary when I sent the invitations out and I still don’t.”

“Peter?”

“I agree.”

“Hmm! So would I in the normal way but, Grace, you’ve had trouble with the elder Davies son. Don’t you think that might have coloured their submission?”

“Funnily enough no, Hugh. First of all Owen Davies came to see me to apologise for Gareth’s behaviour. He was not in the least bit ingratiating but appeared genuinely ashamed of his son’s behaviour, particularly his hitting Terry for no good reason at all, and said that Gareth was now going to learn what the building industry was all about at ground level, while he was suspended from the university. In addition, both Terry and I have had written apologies from Gareth which we both considered genuine as well. In addition, he admitted to Terry that he had received a dose of the same medicine that he had given Terry from his foreman. As far as we are concerned both incidents are over although we’re going to leave the restraining order in place.

“I can imagine,” said Hugh quietly. He still did not look convinced.

Grace said nothing and there was silence.

“One hears things about Davies’s cutting corners,” he said finally.

Grace nodded. “We’d thought of that,” she said.

Hugh looked questioningly at her.

“We’d heard the same but he still gets major projects so that may reflect some fairly rare slipshod work with a small but vociferous number of people.”

Hugh’s expression did not change.

“So Terry’s going to ask the lecturer who looked over the tenders whether, if I can persuade Owen Davies, to let his second year students watch this job to see how civil engineering works in practice on a fairly simple project.”

“I’m not sure he’d welcome that: a bundle of students getting in the way and holding things up by asking loads of questions.”

“Their lecturer or someone capable could accompany them and answer their questions for them.”

“Hmm! Have you asked their lecturer?”

“No.”

“Well, I reckon you should do that before you raise the subject with Owen Davies. I still doubt he’ll be enthusiastic.”

“I’m not so sure,” replied Grace. “Oops! Sorry!”

Hugh had looked sharply at her and she was worried that she had spoken out of turn.

He smiled at her. “You surprised me, Grace. Go on.”

“Well, he didn’t have to come round in addition to Gareth’s apologies and apologise for his behaviour to Terry and me. I think he wants this job to show possible other customers that we are still prepared to hire his company because we think it’s a good one, reasonably priced and that, if news of the way he has dealt with Gareth gets out, which I suspect it will, we have not been swayed by the misbehaviour of a son who was too jolly pleased with himself.”

Hugh smiled at her again. “I don’t know why you didn’t plump for psychology instead of the haulage business,” he said.

Grace, relievedly, smiled back. “Just feminine intuition,” she said.

Both men chuckled.

“What do you think, Peter?”

“I’m with Grace but she needs to have the university chappy’s agreement before she approaches Owen Davies.”

“How long do you think that will take, Grace?”

“Tomorrow if I can catch Terry at lunch time and he hasn’t already seen this guy. Otherwise Wednesday morning.”

“OK. Let’s leave it at that and we’ll meet again at ten on Wednesday. Suit you, Miss Grace?”

“Yessir!”

They all rose.

“Peter, could you hang on a mo? There’s something else I’d like a quick word with you about.”

“Sure!”

Grace left.

“Are you really happy with that, Peter?”

“Yes entirely. She’s clearly thought it all through and come up with the right answer.”

“What if Davies refuses to have the students about?”

“Still go for it. Davies will not want any nonsenses on this job with or without students keeping an eye on things.”

Hugh nodded. “She doesn’t miss a trick, does she?”

“No and there are no feminine wiles or aggressiveness thrown in. She’s a very intelligent and capable young woman.”

“I think so.”

Peter smiled. “You know so.”

Hugh nodded again but said nothing.

Grace managed to catch Terry at one.

“Hello, my Terry, my love!”

“Hello to you, my precious. What do I owe the pleasure to?”

“I wondered whether you’d managed to have a word with your civil engineer yet.”

“No! We’ve both been caught up in lectures all morning. We’ve agreed to meet in half an hour’s time. Why?”

“Hugh and Peter are worried that Owen Davies may consider having students on site might lead to delays and, although they didn’t say so, the risk of accidents. Blooming Health and Safety!”

“They’ve got a point there. I’ll ask if the university will provide hard hats.”

“Good thinking but they also think that they should be shepherded by a lecturer who can ensure they behave and don’t get in the way and delay things.”

“Another good point. I’ll discuss that with him too.”

“Thanks, my love!”

“My pleasure and my joy.”

“Cheeky monkey! I was your love a moment ago.”

“You still are. My simian love.”

There was a snort of laughter followed by the sound of a kiss. “See you half past fiveish.”

“Yes, Terry love. Byee!”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.