A Fall to Grace
Chapter 8

Copyright© 2017 by Kaffir

The following Friday Grace received an email from Mike telling her that he was due back in the UK on Wednesday 2nd May with a debrief on Thursday followed by a fortnight’s leave. He would go home to his parents for the weekend but would like to visit her the following Friday for the weekend and make a plan for the rest of his leave.

Grace was thrilled and excited. She replied with directions to her flat but warned him that she would not be home before half past five. She wondered about taking him to Riccardo but decided against that. She was not sure about how Mama would react to a different man when she had so clearly approved of Terry and she, Grace, did not want to cause any awkwardness. She decided to produce a mixed grill, quick and easy, and see whether Mike wanted to take her out somewhere on Saturday. She did not know yet whether he would be leaving on Sunday or Monday, probably the latter.

The excitement waned a bit over the next week particularly as Mike never rang her but began to pick up on the Thursday when at last he did to check that everything was still all right for the visit which she assured him it was.

Grace made sure to leave the office in good time on Friday and did all the preparatory work on the grill, had a rapid shower and changed into a pretty dress, blue to match her eyes. She added a touch of make-up and brushed her dark hair until it shone.

She was ready to answer the doorbell when it rang the polite ten minutes after half past five.

Nothing was said. Mike dropped his suitcase and they fell into each other’s arms without bothering to shut the door. There was no kissing. They just held each other tight.

At last they broke apart but still holding hands.

“Oh, Grace! Thank you for that warm welcome. Despite the photos I’ve got of you I’d forgotten how really beautiful you are.”

He pulled her back into his arms but this time they kissed, at some length. Grace was happy. The fact that he had not been in contact since he had got back until the call the previous evening faded. She was in his arms and his love was as warm, ardent and exciting as ever.

She led him into the kitchen.

“Don’t worry,” she laughed. “I’m not going to start cooking or anything yet but this is where the booze is. Not a huge amount but whisky for you and gin for me. Suit you?”

“You bet!”

They moved to the sitting room and sat together on the sofa. That invited a further prolonged cuddle and some serious kissing. They did get round to picking up their drinks again and talking.

Mike told her about Poland. He had only spent short spells in Warsaw but was impressed by it. They had spent most of their time in the eastern part of the country planning the tactical exercise that would follow on from the reinforcement phase. There was of course a limit to what he could tell her because much of it was classified but he did stress that Poland in the first quarter of the year was a pretty chilly place.

Grace told him of how she had found her flat and her glee in finding the rent so much lower than her Winchester one. She told him about her job including the flu epidemic which caused her to get fully and properly involved with her team. She also told him about learning to drive artics.

“What?” Mike exclaimed. “A little thing like you driving one of those monsters?”

“I’m not little. I’m five foot six!”

“Yes but you haven’t got a six pack and great bulging arm and leg muscles.”

“You don’t need them. They’re no heavier to drive than an army four tonner and I did plenty of that.”

“Yes, ma’am”

“The tricky business is manoeuvring them round tight corners, particularly if you’re reversing.” She looked down and then grinned. “I do have to have a large firm cushion behind my bum in order to be able to depress the clutch properly. We have got some with automatic gears but I wanted to drive a proper one.”

“Good girl!”

That led to another protracted hug and kisses after which Grace replenished their drinks and started to cook. She had already decanted some wine.

“So what happens now?” she asked. “The Staff College has been confirmed. Are you going to be at Andover again for the rest of your time or sent off to some other remote spot?”

“As things stand Andover but you never know with the turmoil the world is in at the moment.”

“Mm!”

“Anyway, have you got any plans for tomorrow?”

“Yes. The weather forecast’s good so I thought we might go up to the Peak District for the day. I’ve got all the bits and pieces for a picnic and then we might look for somewhere back down here to go out to dinner.”

She grinned mischievously. “After all, having been playing soldiers for the last four months, you must have saved oodles to take me out to dinner somewhere.”

“Cheeky monkey but you’re so lovely that I’d love to show you off somewhere.”

She stuck the tip of her tongue out at him then smiled brilliantly and closed in for another protracted kiss.

“Any ideas?” he asked.

“No.” She looked demurely at him. “As a poor little lonesome...”

Mike made a rude noise which allowed her to avoid a lie about Riccardo and Terry.

“We could always look on the internet after supper,” she went on.

“Yes, miss. Very good, miss.”

Grace giggled and awarded him another, albeit brief, kiss.

“So what about the Peak District? Is that going to be another google?”

“No. Being all on my lonesome and taking no exercise during the week I’ve driven up there a number of times and done some walks.”

“Good for you! Sounds good so what are you suggesting? Walking, climbing or just admiring the view?”

“Up to you but I thought that after a couple of hours in the car a short not too demanding walk would be the answer. Then we could have a picnic lunch and then drive on a wiggly route back so that you can see some more of it all. If somewhere catches your eye we can always stop and have another walk.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.