The Dolphin - Cover

The Dolphin

Copyright© 2017 by Colin Barrett

Chapter 1

I am in the place again.

I cannot stay away. It is the last place where Kitik is. Each time I come I want it to be the last, but each time I come again. I do not want to, but I know I will come another time soon.

Altauk is with me. He does not approve. He tells me as many times before, “Minacou, you live too much in shadow. Come back to the now.”

I know he is right. He is one of the oldest, and he is leader, he knows what is the way for us to live. He tells me again the tale of Acou, who he says also lives in shadow.

“There are bad things in shadow for him,” Altauk says. “He cannot leave them. I tell him, many tell him, that he must return to the now, but he does not. Then in his shadow pain he strikes out at another. We must drive him away.”

That is before I am alive, but Altauk is there and tells that this happens. Others also speak to me sometimes of Acou. I do not know why this is so, but it seems that I am like him in other ways too. It is different, but as with Acou, I cannot leave shadow.

Altauk looks at me sadly. “Will you go to the land?” he asks.

I tell him no, the land does not call me. It is Kitik who calls, who is calling ever since he is taken.

The others do not like me to speak it this way. They say it is as though some thing does the taking, and they do not want to think of that. They tell me that Kitik is gone to the land and will not return.

But I know better. I alone am there when the taking is done. The monsters above find us, us two, together when we are eating and not alert, and they trouble us. There are loud sounds, and there is big stirring in the water. I am not frightened, for the monsters are slow and easy to escape. But Kitik becomes afraid, and begins to swim very fast and without direction. For a time he seems to escape, but then they are there again and he grows more afraid each time. His fear tires him. I call to him to be calm, and where he might swim, but he does not listen. The weed ­comes and entangles him, and then it lifts up and takes him with it.

It is here that it happens. I hear again his cries as he is drawn away. Shadow overwhelms me for a moment.

But Kitik is not gone to the land. His cries are not the cries of one who will go to the land. It may be that he is gone since, after the taking, but I think I would know that. I think he is gone away but not to the land. I would go with him if I could find where he is.

Altauk knows that I am no longer in the now. He does not speak more. He starts away. Then he stops and turns back. “There will be a hunt,” he calls. “Will you come?”

The last time I do not come, nor the time before that. The hunts are without me. But I am very hungry now. Yes, I tell him, I will come.

I will lead the hunt. I am young for this, and I am female which is not usual, but while others can also lead a hunt, I am much the best. They will be glad of my being there. This time I will lead and we will eat well.

But shadow is still in me. I will lead, but I will have no joy. I am not sure when I will have joy again. I will come back to this place after the hunt and I will think of the shadow that is Kitik and then I will have as close to joy as is in me in the now.

And I will try to think how I may find Kitik.


It had been an irritating trip. Monday morning, and the lone road was clogged with weekenders heading north out of the Keys, to Miami and its bustle and business and further north. The rest of the week would be relatively clear until Friday afternoon, but this morning it was stop-and-go. She’d have to get used to that, but it was only two days a week and then only half the trip. At least there was plenty of parking. She took a deep breath to relax and headed into the motel lobby.

Morris was busy at the desk with checkouts. He waved her over. “Can’t talk now, it’s like this on Mondays,” he said brusquely. “Go on out, I’ll see you in a while. Jason’s there, introduce yourself.” He turned back to the impatient guest who was waiting for his credit card back.

She walked out through the sliding glass doors toward which he’d pointed. They opened, she found, onto a small boardwalk. Ahead she could see the lagoon, with a young-looking man hosing down the concrete apron.

The man—not much more than a boy, she thought as she drew nearer—turned and raised his head as she approached. “Sorry, ma’am, closed right now,” he said dismissively. “We’ll open back up at noon.” He started to turn away again.

“You’re Jason?” she asked.

“Yes,” he said tentatively.

“Margaret Russell,” she said. “Maggie.” She offered a hand. He simply stared. “Your new marine biologist,” she explained.

“Oh,” he said flatly. He looked at her outstretched hand long enough to border on open rudeness, but as she was about to withdraw it he finally reached out to take it in the briefest of grasps. “Gladdameetyou,” he muttered, with no more expression on his face than was in his voice. She stared at him; what was this? He turned back away to resume his washing, but she stopped him.

“Where’s—?” she began.

“Toby? He’s out there.” The boy gestured vaguely toward the lagoon. “He’s already had breakfast. He’ll be back later on. Usually comes back by noon, anyhow, or if he doesn’t I call him so we can do the first show. You’ll see him then.” He turned away again, clearly dismissing her.

She waited for a while, but he showed no signs of even acknowledging her presence much less an interest in talking. She shook her head. Teenagers! she thought. He couldn’t be much more. She hadn’t held out a lot of hope of real professionalism, but a surly kid was more than she’d bargained for. She was going to have to establish their working relationship quickly.

“Jason, please take me to my office,” she said firmly. “Morris is busy now, he said you’d show me around.” He hadn’t quite said that, but invoking the authority with which the boy was familiar had to help.

For a minute it appeared that he was going to ignore her, but then he dropped the hose—a lot too casually, she thought, as she sidestepped quickly to avoid the spray, and then had to sidestep again as it whipped around. He took his time reaching the outlet valve, receiving, she noticed, a fairly thorough drenching himself in the process, and rotated it off.

“Get wet here,” he muttered—seemingly to the air, he still wouldn’t look at her. “Follow me, office is there.” He pointed toward the endmost of a set of cabanas lining the apron.

The “office,” when they reached it and he shoved the door open, proved as barren as she’d feared. A cheap desk, an equally cheap (and fairly obviously uncomfortable) wooden chair, an electrical outlet that had clearly been recently installed, no more. The floor w was the same unadorned concrete as the apron itself, but had apparently gone without the cleansing spray of Jason’s hosing or anything like a sweeping; there was a fairly thick veneer of the marl that passed for dirt here, and cobwebs were prominent in the corners where it met the cinderblock wall

“That’s it, okay?” the boy said. “Got to get back to work.” He turned to leave.

She’d had enough; this would have to stop. “Jason!” she snapped. He stopped. “Are you always this rude, or do I rate special treatment?”

He turned back, and for the first time looked directly at her. It was an insolent stare; his eyes started at her face and gradually traversed downward to her feet and then back up. There was still no expression on his face.

“You’re from Flagler, right?” he said at last, naming the government research facility twenty-five miles south across Seven-Mile Bridge.

“That’s where I was working, yes,” she said, returning his level gaze.

There was another pause. Then, abruptly: “Look, we need to get a couple of things straight.”

“It appears that we do,” she responded flatly.

“I know how you work at Flagler,” he said with now-overt hostility. “The way you work with them. What you do to them.” He gestured sharply toward the lagoon.

“And what’s that?” she asked.

“You keep food away from them when they don’t do what you want. You starve them until they do like you tell them. There’s some kind of fancy name for it—”

“‘Positive reinforcement,’” she murmured.

“Whatever,” he said. “You hurt them, too. You whip them into submission, into doing just what you want them to do when you want them to do it. You—”

“Jason,” she interrupted loudly, cutting him off in the middle of what was obviously some kind of prepared speech. But instead of ending the tirade she had merely diverted it.

“Anyhow,” he continued, “that doesn’t go here, OK? None of it, not while I’m here, and I think I’m going to be here a while, Morris can’t get anybody else for what he’s paying me and he’s cheap. Toby eats when he’s hungry, OK? Not because he ‘earned it,’ nobody has to earn food. He does what he does because he wants to, not because I make him or anybody else makes him. And nobody hurts him. Nobody!”

“Jason,” she started again. But he wasn’t done.

“Morris said you’re here to take care of him, take care of his health, and that’s all right. He said you also want to study him, do your research, and I guess that’s all right, too, as long as you don’t hurt him. But I train him. Me. He responds to me, we’re friends, and all you’ll do is beat him down and that’ll finish the shows and there won’t be any good for Morris if the shows are done, and—”

“Jason!” she barked in her most commanding tone. “Shut up a moment.”

He looked at her in surprise, but with the same dislike hovering around the corners of his eyes.

“Do you know what Morris is paying me?” she asked obliquely. He didn’t respond. “A hundred bucks a week. Oh, I also get meals, all of them if I want. But that’s it. Not even a room, I pay for my own roof—and my car, and my clothes, and my medical care, and anything else I want or need.”

“Can’t live on that,” he muttered.

“No, I can’t,” she agreed. “I’m going on savings. Look, I have a doctorate in marine biology. Do you have any idea what that brings on the open market? What it brought me at Flagler?”

“No,” he said grudgingly.

“Not your business, either. But more. A lot more. So why am I here?”

“Fucked up?” he guessed. “Fired?”

“Not even. I didn’t fuck up, I wasn’t fired, in fact I had some commendations and I was in line for more. Care to try again?”

For the first time the hostility seemed to abate. Neither of them spoke for a moment, but she outwaited him. “So?” he said, but it was now clearly bluster.

“You tell me,” she challenged.

He looked away again, but this time in discomfort. “You didn’t like their way either,” he murmured.

“Bing-fucking-go,” she said, throwing in the obscenity to get his attention. There was another pause. “I spent eight years in school studying to be a marine biologist. Studying what everybody’d done before me so I could start my own research, begin to learn about these wonderful creatures. Do you know dolphins have bigger brains than we do? Not that that’s necessarily important, I mean Balzac’s brain was one of the smallest ever recorded, and some of the biggest human brains are in idiots. But they do, dolphins do, bigger than ours.”

“Okay.” The hostility was on full hold now, replaced with genuine interest.

“And they show it; they’re smart,” she went on. “You tell me Toby does the things he does because he wants to, not because you make him, and that means intelligence. Not just intelligence, you say you’re friends, and Toby wants to please his friend. Just like you want to please him, right?”

“Right!”

“So that means he’s smart enough to know what you want and cooperative enough to do it for you, follow me?”

“Sure.”

“Q.E.D., I don’t want to treat them like training chimpanzees, or dogs, or whatever. Any more than you do, smartass. It’s why I left Flagler for this bed of roses.”

“Huh.”

“The point is, I don’t need a teenage kid thinking he knows enough to tell me how I should do my work.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.