Pēteris - Cover

Pēteris

Copyright© 2017 by Omachuck

Chapter 19: No Good Deed

There is a saying that ‘No good deed goes unpunished’, and the return of Pēteris and his Companions gave strong evidence that that was true. Their midday procession into Beavis was met with frowns and outright glares from people they passed in the street. Needing to know what was going on, they headed for the inn to talk with the parents of their hometown escort, Charles and Maggie.

They trooped into the common room that was almost empty save for the owners, Tristan and Robinblue, and a hired serving wench. This was a far cry from the usual collective of midday diners.

Striding across the room to hug ‘hello’ to their parents, Charles and Maggie both stopped a moment to greet Robinblue and Tristan. They were then gathered into their parents’ arms and smothered with kisses. When the danger of being squeezed to death passed, Charles leaned back and asked, “What’s going on? Where is the usual lunch crowd? Don’t tell me Mom has forgotten how to cook!”

“I expect Arthur and Hoss just about any time now. Robert and Mavis are usually a little later but your arrival will speed that up,” Hans answered. “They have become a pair since you left. And, no, your mother hasn’t forgotten how to cook.”

He smiled wryly and continued, “Things have changed - they aren’t good - but why don’t you folks get settled, and we can talk after the others arrive. Pēteris, your original three rooms are open. Divide them up as you will. Robinblue and Tristan have the next room over - tell you why in a minute - and don’t worry, he sleeps on a pallet across the door.”

In an afterthought, Hans added, “I’m sure you’ll all want baths after eating and catching up on the news. We’ll get the water started, and you can spin your tale after the evening meal.”

When Hans was done, Pēteris thanked him and introduced the five unknown women and named the baby. Lisle hugged them and asked, “Is there anything you need? Anything for Martina? If there is now or later, just ask.”

Pēteris got the Damsels seated, and the rest of the party returned to the street, unloaded their horses, and carried their belongings into the common room. They were about to take their mounts to the stable, when Hoss entered and told them he had a stable boy coming to take care of them.

Gratefully, they all sat down to steaming bowls of (surprise!) stew, bread, cheese, and watered wine, followed by large slabs of apple pie. They had just begun eating when Robert and Mavis arrived to join them. Introductions took place around mouths full of good food, and hugs were deferred until all were sated and pulled back from the table.

At Pēteris’ urging, Robert began, “Both your plans and predictions started out pretty much on track. We had several bands of robbers and ne’re-do-wells arrive looking for Dirty Jake or his trail. Some we had to fight, others we were able to misdirect out of town. But we had several weeks of nastiness, and I’m sure it isn’t completely over yet.”

He looked over to Pēteris and smiled wryly, “Because you predicted it and warned them, you get the blame from the townsfolk. They conveniently forget that Dirty Jack was around raising hell long before you arrived. Then they heard about your plan for a healer school. They ‘don’t want no more strangers’ and started bothering Robinblue and Tristan to the point they had to move in here.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.