Pēteris - Cover

Pēteris

Copyright© 2017 by Omachuck

Chapter 7: On The Road

The road out of town was lined with small farms, orchards, pastures, and other signs of an agricultural economy. Soon, the number of cleared fields dwindled, and they traveled through heavily shaded woods occasionally interspersed with various sized meadows. The streams they crossed were easily fordable and offered a quick opportunity to water their horses. These waterways showed signs of dangerous flooding during heavy rains. There were no bridges, and the road was almost protected from washouts by a bed of rocks whenever it crossed running water.

During the planning phase, six horses had seemed a good idea. If there were no town, the horses would enable them to be flexible with sleeping arrangements, independent from hunting, and well supplied with the medicines and tools they needed as healers. Instead, six horses proved to be a burden.

Pēteris and his ladies had some experience with riding and caring for horses. Daniel had ensured that his granddaughters had learned, and they even camped using horses for transportation. Three loaded packhorses were a different proposition altogether.

Close to midday, they stopped for lunch and watered the horses, and the six hobbled beasts were allowed to graze and rest. After an hour, they checked the loads for shifting, tightened cinches, and were on the road again.

All seemed well. Talking in low voices, they discussed the adventure so far. Pēteris or one of his Companions frequently dropped back and lurked in the wood to determine if they were being followed. At other times, one of them would ride ahead to look for signs of an ambush, especially if a curve or other obstacle limited sight of the road ahead. The advance scout always stayed in view of the others.

Well before evening, they decided to halt for the night. They rode downstream in the small creek that crossed the road and continued in the water for about a mile until they found a grassy clearing. When they began unloading the packhorses, Pēteris realized he might have been over ambitious. The loads were in well-organized and easily identified packs, but the processes of unloading - and especially loading - were time consuming and could possibly cause dangerous delays if a hurried departure was warranted.

Then there was the matter of grooming and caring for six horses.

One area where Miriam and Robyn clearly surpassed Pēteris - starting a fire without a match. Daniel had ensured they were competent with a flint. Around their small campfire of very dry wood (to lessen smoke) the three discussed the situation. After hashing over several ideas, they decided to wait a few more days to see how things shook out. Then they would revisit the amount and nature of what they needed and redistribute the loads on the packhorses. They would continue to have essentials on their mounts, but the packs would be prioritized so that they could abandon additional horses in the order of least need.

Because of the early halt, tasks were soon finished and in the quiet evening Pēteris’ sling felled three unwary rabbits that ventured into the meadow to feed. The party got enough sleep even with each member standing a three-hour watch patrolling in the woods surrounding the clearing.

In the morning, their organizing, loading, and moving out was as slow and time-consuming as they had feared. Once mounted and back in the creek, moods improved. That is, until through the trees they saw two mounted figures ahead on the road - waiting.


The packhorses were accustomed to being led and with staying with their ‘herd’. Dropping their leads to bring up bows and nock arrows was no big deal for the two Companions. Pēteris in the lead unsheathed his sword and dagger, positioning the dagger’s blade inside his left arm and placing the sword across his lap.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.