Well Made and Enduring - Cover

Well Made and Enduring

Copyright© 2016 by PocketRocket

Chapter 9: Post-Graduate Work

Commencement traditionally serves many roles. In Elspeth’s case, as in many, it marked the end of formal schooling and the beginning of working life. While Elspeth was comfortably set financially, it would not do to continuously live off of her trust fund. That said, the job search was not the first and highest priority. Other rituals must be served, not least of which were the Family gatherings.

The first and most obvious was the obligatory journey to the family pew at St. Albans. Father Jacob read Elspeth’s name with all the other of the church’s graduates. Afterward was a very plain reception, where Elspeth stood in line to shake hands of people she had not met since confirmation, more than a decade before.

Afterward, was a family dinner in her honor, the menu for which Elspeth had constructed. She chose fish to go with the succotash, squash casserole, and greens salad, in deference to her non-vegan siblings. Elspeth’s enduring memory of the dinner was when her sister asked, “Where’s the beef?” to much amusement. It was exactly the sort of comment Dr. Richards might make.

Next came a pilgrimage to see Grandmother Adele. Though not Elspeth’s direct ancestor, Adele Cabot was the reigning matriarch of Beacon Hill. Her invitation to tea was tantamount to a summons. At least Elspeth had three cousins sharing the spotlight. Regardless, Grandmother managed to make her feel singularly special and uniquely unprepared. Such was the way of all visits to her home.

The final tribute, and first public one, was a reception at the Peabody House. The House, more properly called the First Harrison Gray-Otis House, was designed by Charles Bullfinch in 1794. Long an historical landmark, the first floor was a museum and the third housed the offices of the Historical Society. As founding benefactors and continuing donors, the Rice, Peabody, and Otis families could reserve the second-floor reception rooms.

Not every year was deemed worthy of The Peabody House. Elspeth was the sole advanced degree among her close cousins, so it was an honor specific to her. As with many accolades, Elspeth could have done as well without it. Still, it was a suitable place to introduce a select portion of Boston Society to Dr. Richards. Also helpful was Dr. Richards’ escort, Elspeth’s distant cousin Ro Willingham. Formally Warner Richard Otis-Willingham IV, he was a double contrast to all of Elspeth other relatives, being from New York and politically conservative. Ro served as a lightning rod for many of the political sparks that might have been directed to Dr. Richards.

The event went well enough. The next couple of days involved more informal meetings, mostly over drinks or dining out. When it was over, Elspeth noticed she had moved up in the family pecking order, more so than a mere graduate degree would normally earn. Naturally, Elspeth credited Dr. Richards, with no thought for her own maturation.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.