Learning Assistance - Cover

Learning Assistance

Copyright© 2016 by radio_guy

Chapter 25

We pulled into our house to be greeted by Melissa and Paul. My sister was there with Larry as well. We had an enjoyable evening bringing everyone up to date.

After a lot of discussion, a pool and hot tub would not be installed. Marcia was against it and we joined a country club instead. It worked well. We would revisit the idea of a pool and hot tub when we finished school if we were staying here after graduation.

Our college classes would start for the fall semester soon. It was good to live for a while without drama. When we signed up for our classes, we were thrilled with our schedules. We weren’t in any of the same classes but our schedules matched!

We have continued to teach our Sunday school class with Melissa and Paul. The teens liked it and Pastor Jim wanted us to step up with them. He had decided that keeping the same teachers for the entire high school career was a good idea. Our class liked that idea after we discussed it with them. The class behind them had the teacher from this grade. He and his wife would take them through their grades.

We have gone through the fall with no issues and much joy. Rudolph is happy as are we. The class continues though neither couple travels every weekend any more. We do have and enjoy guests. Our home has plenty of space for visitors. Suzie-Q has spent this semester at Larry’s college taking courses that will transfer back when she returns after the first of the year.

Larry’s parents have even improved though Suzie-Q admits that his father will never catch her far from Larry. Everyone is coming to our house for Thanksgiving. Karen and Melissa are overseeing the cooking while Paul and I follow instructions.

It’s early Thursday morning. Karen’s parents and mine spent the night at our home along with Melissa’s brother and mother. Paul’s parents and siblings will arrive soon. Suzie-Q and Larry came in Wednesday afternoon with our parents. Larry’s parents are due soon this morning. We have never kept much in the way of alcoholic beverages here so clearing all of it out was not a problem.

We were ready. Melissa, Suzie-Q, and Karen were nervous but were assisted by their mothers. I wanted things to go well. My beautiful wife would be happy if her preparations were all good. We had snacks laid out as we waited for Larry’s parents and Paul’s parents and siblings. We had coffee, hot tea, and hot chocolate. Paul, Larry, and I were sitting with my father and Karen’s as well as Melissa’s brother. There was no longer anything for us to do. In a few minutes, I would turn on the TV for the Thanksgiving parade.

The ladies joined us to watch the parade. Paul’s parents and siblings came and we went out to greet them. There was a lot of laughing and good emotions going around. Just as we started inside, Larry’s parents drove up. They were greeted though their greeting was more subdued. The guys were more “chaste” in hugging Missus Moore and the women were politely distant to Mister Moore. I didn’t think Missus Moore had been drinking. On the way inside, Karen said that she smelled no alcohol on Mister Moore’s breath. I told her about Missus Moore. We both gave a very quiet exhale of relief.

Inside, we watched the rest of the parade. I knew I liked the Rose Parade much better but it was what it was. We had snacks as the TV showed some Christmas love movie. It was sappy and almost contrived. After all, it was a movie! The ladies all were in and out of the kitchen to finish cooking for a four o’clock eating time.

It was time and a light lunch had been served. After I prayed for our time together, plates were served and we started to eat. With Larry’s full knowledge and cooperation, there was nothing alcoholic available. The only ones who might miss it would be Larry’s parents. I hoped that issue would remain quiet.

In that regard, this wasn’t quite my lucky day. We finished our meals and sat around with tea, Cokes, and lemonade. Larry’s dad asked Larry for a drink. Larry responded that there was nothing alcoholic available. Larry said, “Many here are underage or are, in the minds of our hosts, not able to control their consumption of alcohol. Dad, that is and will be the policy at this house.”

I was trying to listen covertly. His father wasn’t happy but, short of leaving to get booze, there was nothing he could do. Mister Moore came over to me. “Brad, this is your doing. I don’t like it.”

I said, “Mister Moore, I understand your position but I am ‘not’ sympathetic.” I stopped talking and waited for any response he might make.

He said, “My wife and I enjoy a drink or two and shouldn’t be denied because of some young person’s sensibilities.”

I said, “Mister Moore, there were two reasons given. As to that first reason, which young person would you want to risk addicting to alcohol? I haven’t met that one yet. I’m sure they will have the chance at some point but it will not be here. There was a second reason given which is that some adults have shown themselves unable to handle their drinking. I don’t intend to expose my wife to a drunk nor me either. This is my and Karen’s home and it is governed by our rules with Melissa and Paul in full agreement. The subject is closed with your dislike for the situation noted.”

I looked at him and waited. He was not happy about that nor about losing the staring match. He moved on. I did, too. I sat in one of the chairs in the over-sized living room and watched the floats of the Thanksgiving parade. It was mid-afternoon when dinner was ready and served. Everything was on the table and Karen and I sat together with Melissa and Paul at the other end of the big table. The four of us stood and Melissa said, “Before we eat, the four of us want to thank each of you for being present today. Paul and I and Karen and Brad enjoy our marriages and our families. We are thankful for a time and place to gather.”

Paul took up the speaker’s mantle. “We have, both couples of us, been married for over a year now. It has been a joyous time with love for our spouses and for our combined families. We are thankful for the time and the people gathered.”

Karen spoke, “Let us pray. God of heaven and earth. We are gathered here today thankful for the bounty we have received. You have blessed us in so many ways. You have blessed me with a special husband, Brad, who has brought love into my days and joy into my nights.”

She stopped and I knew it was my turn. “Father God, it has been good and we are especially thankful for this year. We ask You to continue to watch over all of us bearing us in Your arms and giving us joy in our lives. We ask You to bless the food prepared and the people gathered here. We give thanks to all and for all in Jesus’ Name, Amen.” That was echoed around the table. I noticed that Larry and Suzie-Q were leaning toward each other smiling as they joined in the “Amen.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.