The Smallholder - Cover

The Smallholder

Copyright© 2016 by Always Raining

Chapter 9

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 9 - Joseph Ramsden, a smallholder, had come to terms with tragedy in his life and had settled to a calm existence, until Angela Furness arrived and brought a whole lot of trouble. This tale is set in the hills of the Peak District of Northern England. All characters are fictional and are not based on any real (or unreal) living or dead people! Warning as far as sex content is concerned it is VERY slow!

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Fiction   Slow  

Not for the first time, Angela's thoughts and emotions were in turmoil. One or other of the paramedics was working on Gerard most of the time, but the noise and the lurching of the aircraft gave her little room for thought. Then she accompanied the stretcher into the hospital until Gerard was taken to Intensive Care and she had to wait in the waiting room until a nurse came to see her.

"We're monitoring him and he's been sedated to help him. He won't be conscious until tomorrow afternoon. Go home and get some sleep."

"Will he be all right?" she asked; it had all seemed so much of an emergency.

"The chances are in his favour; you looked after him very well. If his heart holds out, and it seems strong enough, he should pull out of the lung problems, but you need to be rested."

Angela nodded, thanked the nurse and left the hospital, walking out into the damp darkness. She was grateful that Gerard had been brought to their local hospital, though 'local' was five miles away from where he lived. It was sleeting lightly, and she wondered if it was snowing again up in the hills where Joseph was.

She considered phoning her brother for a lift, but couldn't face him and his sanctimonious and critical comments. She hailed a taxi and paid the extortionate fare to Gerard's flat. She remembered her car was at Joseph's and that she would be without it for a while.

Joseph! In a moment of clarity she remembered that she had made an arrangement with him to stay the week. She had shown him by a number of hints that she fancied him, and then had left him without a backward glance to go with Gerard to hospital, and had done that after all she had learned about Gerard and what he had done to Joseph!

The taxi arrived at the house and she paid the driver and made her way in. It was cold in the house and she fired up the central heating and switched on the electric fire in the living room.

She was hungry. She looked in the fridge and realised that by leaving on Saturday morning early, she had not done the shopping. The fridge was full of ready meals. Gerard had done the shopping! She selected a beef risotto and microwaved it. It was passable and filling, but she couldn't help but think about Joseph's cooking.

As she ate she thought idly over what had happened. Why had she left Joseph to come back with Gerry? Then it came to her: Gerry had no one else. The thought came as a shock. She knew nothing of his present family and it had never occurred to her to ask. His 'friends' were really only acquaintances; she wondered how many of those who drank with him would lift a finger if he were in trouble. Most of their close friends were her friends, and even they did not seem to warm to him.

After they had met at a club and had started to date, she thought it prudent to ask around about his background, only to find that no one knew his history, though it was common knowledge he hailed from Wigan, a satellite town west of the city. For most people it was enough that he was entertaining and generous with his money.

He had told her that the town was Wigan, but that he was sick of people cracking jokes about Wigan Pier, and pies.

He was so attractive that she had been delighted when he had made overtures to her. Though he spoke of his childhood in Wigan and his following its rugby club, and though he talked about his University life at Cambridge and his successes as a sales managing director, she, like everyone else, still had known nothing about his family or his social life before he arrived in this area of the city. It simply never came up.

Now she thought she knew why he kept quiet about his past and the secret it held.

Really she already knew it was over with Gerard. She knew he did have redeeming qualities and she had been able to cope with his manipulative and domineering ways, but it was the moment he had left her on the hillside, then his aggressive and violent confrontation with her at Joseph's and of course the business of Joseph's wife and child that clinched it for her.

She would move her stuff out the next day. Her flat began to feel very attractive and she needed to take stock of her life. Then she remembered she had no car. She recalled that she was on Gerard's insurance on his second car; he had never allowed her near the Porsche, but she could use the Lexus.

Her thoughts drifted to Joseph and she felt a rush of warmth. Joseph was the diametric opposite of Gerard. Her mind filled with the memory of her short time with him. He was so peaceful, calm, collected and thoughtful for her all the time, self-sacrificing even.

After Gerard's dreadful behaviour towards him, he went out after him in case he was in trouble, brought him back and was responsible for his survival. She still could not fathom how he could do that to the man who stole his wife and child and who had tried to humiliate Joseph further by attempting to adopt the little girl.

What if Gerard was right and she would not be able to survive living the life that Joseph lived? She had always lived in the suburbs or the city, as Gerry had said, and she admitted to herself that she loved all the luxuries that city life affords, like a local train service and a lattice of bus routes.

Then she remembered her misgivings about Joseph's adequacy as a husband, and her worries about his solitary state.

She was realistic enough, she thought, to know that it was one thing to go there for a break from normal life, quite another to live like that.

She decided to ask Greta. Greta would have answers. Greta was wise beyond her years. She picked up the phone and dialled.

"Greta," said the woman at the other end abruptly. It was her way: efficient and decisive.

"Greta it's Angela. Could you come round tomorrow morning?"

"Yes. I'm on nights from tomorrow. What time?"

"Early?" Angela said tentatively.

"Eight?" came the immediate reply.

"Thanks. Come for breakfast?"

"OK." Click.

That's Greta, thought Angela. Never a superfluous word. She went to bed feeling much better. She had not noticed that contrary to her usual practice, she had not switched on either the radio or the TV all evening.

Tuesday 3 February 2009

Next morning she told her friend that she was leaving Gerard, and would she help clear her stuff out of his house. Greta asked why and Angela asked if they could talk about it when the move was complete. Greta shrugged and agreed. The sleety rain had stopped and the day was fine and sunny if cold, so the move went without a hitch.

"You remember me telling you about Gerry leaving me on a mountainside and this man Joseph finding me and saving me?" Angela began after they had eaten lunch.

"Keith picked you up, didn't he?"

"Pompous little prick," muttered Angela, "accused me of knowing Joseph before and making up the story to stay with him."

"That's what Gerry told everyone – not true?"

"Not true. How could Gerry have known that? No one knew where I was until Joseph went down the track to send my text and let the mountain rescue know. He saved my life, Greta, I would have died of exposure if his dog hadn't found me."

"Gerry said that was a load of baloney."

"He would. Anything to avoid admitting he could have killed me, going off like that. Anyway, Gerry certainly learned about exposure when he came to the cottage after me."

"Gerry came after you? That's why he's in hospital now?"

"In his Porsche, in a snowstorm. Of course he was his usual aggressive and overbearing self. He insulted Joseph very badly and told me – told me, Greta – to pack and go with him."

"And you refused." It was a bald statement made with a grim smile.

"Yes. Then Gerry said he was going. Joseph advised him not to go: the track and the roads would be impassable for a Porsche, but he sneered at Joseph, told him he was a wimp and he, Gerry, knew how to handle his car. Then he left."

"And?"

"Joseph told me to wrap up warm and we would go after him. He seemed to know that Gerry wouldn't make it. I was amazed after the way Gerry treated Joseph that Joseph would want to go after him. I didn't realise how dangerous the snowstorm was."

"And?"

"We found him, sitting under a bush and delirious. The car had gone off the track and instead of coming back to the cottage he'd been going towards the village. Joseph knew what to do; it saved Gerry's life."

"But you came back with Gerry."

"Don't know why, it was a reflex action really. After what he did to Joseph, I'm finished with him."

"So Joseph looked after Gerry even though he had insulted him, and you thought you ought to follow his example?"

Angela had not thought of that. "Perhaps," she said. "Something like that."

"You're really taken with this guy," Greta said. "At least that's what you implied. He's really made an impression, no?"

"He's very special."

"You fancy him!" crowed Greta. "That's why you went back to see him – you fancy him!"

Angela blushed and Greta laughed heartily.

"Nothing wrong with you wanting him," said Greta when she had calmed down.

"He's lovely. So gentle and calm and peaceful. That's what I want to talk to you about. The thing is, I do fancy him, and I think he's interested in me."

"Which sentient male wouldn't be? So what's your problem? Go for it!"

"It's not as easy as that. He's had a lot of tragedy in his life. His father owned a factory but died in an accident, his mother went to pieces and he was trying to run the factory and look after her. His wife obviously thought she was being neglected, found another man and walked out on him without warning, taking their little daughter with her. Then the man she was with killed them both in a road accident. And his mother committed suicide and left a note blaming Joseph for his father's death."

"Good God!" exclaimed Greta, "That's appalling!"

Angela nodded and continued.

"Joseph broke down and became something of a recluse. He goes to the local pub but that's about all. He has a smallholding – chickens, goats, pigs. He grows his own food. He makes his own electricity from a stream and wind turbines; he cuts down trees in his own wood for heating in winter.

"But would you credit it? He has no phone, no mobile signal, no TV, no radio – no that's not right, he has a wind-up radio but I've never seen it. He writes – a novel I think he's writing.

"The thing is, Greta, I don't know if I can live like that. I mean, it's OK for a relaxing break, but full time? I love the city. I like clubbing, my comfortable flat, theatre, you know what I like. I don't know if I could give it all up for a very quiet life in the country."

Greta was about to interrupt when Angela held up her hand.

"And another thing. I wonder about his wife. Perhaps he's not very much fun to live with, not much to write home about in bed, you know? Would account for why she left him. So I don't know what to do."

Greta thought for a moment. Then looked up.

"If what you're saying is true, he's not a good catch, but even though you have listed all the problems, you are undecided. So you must be very attracted to him. You are, aren't you?"

Angela nodded with a smile.

"You say he's gentle, kind, thoughtful. You say he seems to be interested in you, though he's not made any moves. Well, I'd say he may be worth a try. Look, you can shack up with him on a provisional basis, see what he's like in bed, what he's like to live with after the novelty's worn off. See if you like the life, and don't forget, if he falls for you, he may change – become more outgoing, more fun. Can you lose?"

Angela shook her head with another smile.

"Can you afford not to try?"

Angela thought for a moment and again shook her head. "So I play it by ear?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.